Robbie R22 Autorotates Successfully onto Street

Aviation chatter - For ALL Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts

Moderator: Moderators

Robbie R22 Autorotates Successfully onto Street

Postby John.com » Thu May 09, 2013 11:31 pm

As with a lot of these accidents I would suggest a combination of great piloting skill and a touch of damn good luck! =D> =D>

Robinson R22 Autorotate.jpg
Robinson R22 Autorotate.jpg (68.92 KiB) Viewed 1105 times

The 30-year-old pilot of a Robinson R22 said she was surprised when the engine quit at 3,000 feet above a crowded section of Honolulu. But her training took over and she executed a successful autorotation onto Fort Street, lined with apartments and located near a college campus. Pilot Julia Link told reporters, “First I thought it was a joke and then, I was like, ‘Oh my God, this is for real.’”

Photos show the helicopter with its skids separated, both windshields missing and drooping, and bent rotor blades. Link and her 71-year-old male passenger were not seriously injured (he was treated at the scene for a minor head injury), nor was anyone on the ground. The flight, operated by Mauna Loa Helicopters, was reportedly a photo mission.

Link told reporters she was glad everyone walked away alive and there were no injuries.

Read the full article HERE!
John.com
Left downwind (unmanned)

Re: Robbie R22 Autorotates Successfully onto Street

Postby Wingnutter » Fri May 10, 2013 1:36 am

You know it's not your day when your car gets trashed by an auto rotating helicopter..
If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.
Wingnutter
1k poster
1k poster

Postby Zulu01 » Fri May 10, 2013 4:47 am

Good looking blonde gal too , not that it makes any difference ,

She did a great job in a crowded urban setting.
Zulu01
Frequent AvComer

Postby Walter105 » Fri May 10, 2013 12:40 pm

Wingnutter wrote:You know it's not your day when your car gets trashed by an auto rotating helicopter..

The car must have belonged to her ex-boyfriend... :twisted:
Never look down on somebody unless you are helping them up.
Walter105
1k poster
1k poster

Postby BD » Fri May 10, 2013 1:41 pm

I'm not a helicopter pilot but forgive me for asking if that is REALLY how a "successful" autorotation ends up? Whatever happened to the criteria of (1) being able to walk away from the event and (2) being able to use the machine again?

Brian Davidson.
BD
Rotating

Postby balloo » Fri May 10, 2013 3:18 pm

BD

Depends on the experience of the pilot and conditions. If she is a high hour IP, was landing into wind and had plenty of time to assess the site (plus probably a lot of other factors I have missed), that would not be a terrific autorotation.
If she has just received her wet ink PPL(H), had limited places to land (as it looks), downwind etc, then it was ok, she lived but the machime got trashed.

My old instructor always told me he would be happy if I lived to tell the tale after an auto, until I had at least 500 hours and lots of practice under my belt, then he hoped I would at least keep the skids intact.
balloo
Preflighting

Postby John.com » Mon May 20, 2013 12:13 pm

Mechanic: I'll Pay For Crashed Heli (and Car) =D>

Courtesy of AVWeb

Earlier this month, a Robinson R22 helicopter flying a photo flight successfully auto-rotated onto a downtown Honolulu street and, now, the owner of the company that inspected the helicopter says he will pay to have it replaced. In an interview with HawaiiNewsNow.com, Brant Swigart said the pilot was "in no way" at fault for the May 9 event, and the operator "had no culpability in this." He said he did not personally work on the helicopter prior to the accident flight, but he "was responsible for checking it." Swigart said he believes a mixture cable snapped and a backup switch failed. "I didn't physically inspect that assembly," he said, "and if I had I would have caught it." The helicopter wasn't the only vehicle damaged in the accident and Swigart says he's stepping up for another affected party, an Iraq war veteran.

Swigart's reaction to what he seemingly suggests was his own lack of due diligence extends beyond the aircraft. A local NBC affiliate reported that Swigart also intends to replace a car that was damaged by the helicopter as it came to rest. A Mazda owned by a college student was struck by the aircraft and badly damaged. The college student, a veteran of three tours in Iraq, was not in the car at the time. Swigart says he doesn't have the money to replace the car but will either take out a loan or take care of the new car payments on a monthly basis. Swigart's actions on behalf of his company, Hawaii Air Power Labs Inc., have impressed Benjamin Fouts, owner of Mauna Loa Helicopters, which operated the accident aircraft. "He's just trying to take responsibility for what happened and make sure he does the right thing. He's truly one of a kind," Fouts told NBC. The pilot of the helicopter, Julia Link, escaped her forced landing without serious injury and has already flown again.

Watch the video of what he had to say HERE!
John.com
Left downwind (unmanned)

Postby V5 - LEO » Mon May 20, 2013 2:26 pm

These guys are few and far between =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> to have manned up for this!
In God I trust. The masses are never right, the minority are sometimes right, but the truth is always right.
“One good teacher in a lifetime may sometimes change a delinquent into a solid citizen.” — Philip Wylie
V5 - LEO
1k poster
1k poster

Return to General Aviation Chatter