Palmietfontein Airport revisited this morning

Aviation chatter - For ALL Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts

Moderator: Moderators

Postby GooneyBird » Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:29 pm

Having heard (and read) a lot about Palmietfontein Airport, Jaws and I decided to find it and investigate. After finding it courtesy of Google Maps (look near Natalspruit hospital), we fired up my trusty old DKW and disappeared, in a blue cloud of two-stroke smoke, into the charming ( :shock: ) surrounds of Tokoza. We found the main runway, mostly intact, parts of the cross runway, and by consulting a very old map of the Palmietfontein racetrack (opened 1956), what I suspect is the terminal building. What appears to be the terminal is now Tokoza Beer Hall, and the area where the hangars were is now a hostel. The hangars still exist at ORTIA though, as they were removed and re-erected there in 1953. The terminal building was later used as the "grandstand" for the racetrack I understand. It is given away by its yellow brick construction, architechture and the serious concrete (a la apron type) in front of it. It is currently about three street blocks from the cross runway. The runways themselves are constructed of a very large type gravel stones and were pretty strengthened, hence their longevity. Jaws will post some pics as soon as he can. I'm hoping someone has another pic of the terminal building or can positively ID the building :D we've photographed, as photos of Palmietfontein are very rare and we haven't found anything on it.
GooneyBird
Steep Turn Left

Postby AT6C » Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:03 pm

Gooneybird,
Interesting to know where the place is,I'll try and find it the next time that I'm in the area.
BTW,what happened to the Merc's?
AT6C
Frequent AvComer

Postby Agent Cooper » Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:13 pm

Are we allowed to see the pic's please, this could be interesting, surely RayW must have some info as well.
Property Investment http://www.coopers.co.za
Be nice to your children as they choose the old age home you have to go to one day.
Agent Cooper
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Postby Ray W » Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:05 pm

Agent wrote:Are we allowed to see the pic's please, this could be interesting, surely RayW must have some info as well.

Not really Agent - I do remember being taken there as a very young child, by my Dad, to see the DH Comet's but thats about it.

There is some info here

http://www.saamuseum.co.za/files/SAAMS.doc
Last edited by Ray W on Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Old age & treachery will triumph over youth & skill
Ray W
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing

Postby GooneyBird » Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:13 am

Jaws has the pics, he should post some soon. I still have one Merc BTW. Palmietfontein certainly had an eerie feeling about it - one could almost hear those big pistons thundering off that runway.
GooneyBird
Steep Turn Left

Postby Dan » Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:55 am

glad to see you got out there alive and with your wheels,

use to use that runway as a marker many years ago
"Always Always check the weather"
Dan
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Re: Palmietfontein Airport revisited this morning

Postby C208 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:48 pm

GooneyBird wrote:Having heard (and read) a lot about Palmietfontein Airport, Jaws and I decided to find it and investigate. After finding it courtesy of Google Maps (look near Natalspruit hospital), we fired up my trusty old DKW and disappeared, in a blue cloud of two-stroke smoke, into the charming ( :shock: ) surrounds of Tokoza. We found the main runway, mostly intact, parts of the cross runway, and by consulting a very old map of the Palmietfontein racetrack (opened 1956), what I suspect is the terminal building. What appears to be the terminal is now Tokoza Beer Hall, and the area where the hangars were is now a hostel. The hangars still exist at ORTIA though, as they were removed and re-erected there in 1953. The terminal building was later used as the "grandstand" for the racetrack I understand. It is given away by its yellow brick construction, architechture and the serious concrete (a la apron type) in front of it. It is currently about three street blocks from the cross runway. The runways themselves are constructed of a very large type gravel stones and were pretty strengthened, hence their longevity. Jaws will post some pics as soon as he can. I'm hoping someone has another pic of the terminal building or can positively ID the building :D we've photographed, as photos of Palmietfontein are very rare and we haven't found anything on it.

Hi GooneyBird .. Could this be it ?
Greetings
Attachments
Palmietfontein.jpg
Palmietfontein.jpg (57.49 KiB) Viewed 2431 times
C208
Incorrect Read back of ATC clearance

Postby Mike Paper » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:26 am

I googled Palmietfontein images and came up with this old map of the GP circuit!

http://www.silhouet.com/motorsport/tracks/palmietf.html
Mike
Mike Paper
Engine full power confirmed

Postby GooneyBird » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:41 pm

That's the place alright! Still waiting for Jaws to post the pics - says he don't know how :oops: BTW I will escape with my wheels - when last did you hear of a hijacked 1960 DKW? :D
GooneyBird
Steep Turn Left

Postby Mike Paper » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:20 pm

Pleeeez put on the pics - really want to see them!
Mike
Mike Paper
Engine full power confirmed

Postby cvh: » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:10 am

same here :D
Gone
cvh:
1k poster
1k poster

Postby Theuns v V » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:42 pm

Hi .

If this is in Katlahong/ Thokoza area,is that street right next to the runway's end "Khumalo street"(main enterence into township)?

If so I recall it from my deployment there as a opsmedic back in 1995(ops Protecto)looks farmiliar.

What is that earth structure in the middle of the runway,anybody know?

Theuns

L-18 C ZU-EMX
Theuns v V
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet

Postby Jaws » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:36 am

Hi Guys

Some pictures of the remains of Palmietfontein Airport runway taken 24 November 2007
Attachments
IMG_3684 small buildings.jpg
Palmietfontein runway 2007 small buildings with concrete apron
(161.99 KiB) Downloaded 407 times
IMG_3657 small looking south.jpg
Palmietfontein runway 2007 looking south
(147.21 KiB) Downloaded 398 times
John Austin-Williams
saamuseum.co.za dc-3.co.za dc-4.co.za dc-6.co.za trekairways.co.za theharvard.co.za
Jaws
Frequent AvComer

JAWS did it!

Postby GooneyBird » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:29 pm

The pics are very BEEEEEEEEG, but Jaws learnt how to post them! 8) Now you can count the klippies in the runway at Palmietfontein! :lol:
GooneyBird
Steep Turn Left

Postby Superfueler » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:19 pm

Awesome. Nice bit of history there...who knows the Palmietfontein history?
Superfueler
Frequent AvComer

Return to General Aviation Chatter