Shut up, gringo

Aviation chatter - For ALL Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts

Moderator: Moderators

Shut up, gringo

Postby GL » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:31 pm

Was sent to me this morning - made my day -

The 747 Captain declared to his crew that the non-precision approach will be successful, or “we’ll die trying”, and they did. He famously told the GPWS to ‘Shut up, gringo.’
Guy Leitch

Don't shoot the messenger
GL
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand

Re: Shut up, gringo

Postby UVGOD » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:00 pm

In 1984 an Avianca jet crashed, Avianca is the European airlines from Spain. An Avianca jet crashed in Spain, I mean it was a big jet and it crashed into a mountain, and everybody was just instantly dead. As investigators began to study the accident they made an eerie discovery and this discovery that they make often is the curiosity that all of us look for, you know when they find the little black flight recorder. The black box cockpit recorder revealed that several minutes before a fatal impact, (the plane ran right into the side of a mountain), several minutes before the fatal impact there was a shrill computer synthesized voice like you hear on the telephone sometimes, a computer voice. And the little voice said in English, “Pull up, pull up, pull up, pull up, pull up!”. Well it was a warning system, right? The pilot, (and the flight recorder had this on it), the pilot inexplicably snapped back, “Shut up Gringo . . . shut up Gringo!” and flipped off the warning voice . . . flipped the switch. Minutes later the plane smashed into the mountain and everybody was dead. That’s a parable of how people are treating their consciences today. “Shut up gringo!”
Ubidhabi !!!
UVGOD
Stressed Eric ain't got nothing on me

Postby UVGOD » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:03 pm

From Wiki:

Avianca Flight 011, registration HK-2910, was a Boeing 747-283B on an international scheduled passenger flight from Frankfurt via Paris and Madrid to Bogotá.
Avianca Flight 011 took off from Paris-Charles de Gaulle (CDG) at 22:25 for a flight to Bogotá (BOG) via Madrid (MAD).
The Boeing 747 climbed to a cruising altitude of FL370. At 23:31 the crew contacted Madrid ACC, receiving clearance to continue to the Madrid VOR via Pamplona, Barahona, and Castejón. Fifteen minutes later the flight was cleared to descend to FL190. At 23:52 they were cleared down to FL90: "Avianca 011 está pasando Barahona, proceda ya directo a Charlie Papa Lima, y continúe descenso para el nivel nueve cero, cambio." ("Avianca 011 is passing Barahona, proceed directly to Charlie Papa Lima and continue descent to level nine zero, over.")
After contacting Madrid Approach at 23:56 they were cleared for a runway 33 approach. After reaching FL090 at 00:00 they were cleared further down. Madrid Tower at 00:03 then cleared the flight to land. Instead of turning right at the Madrid VOR, the crew initiated a turn short of the VOR beacon. The aircraft descended below the minimum descent altitude for that area.
The right main gear and no. 4 engine hit a hill at an altitude of 2247 feet and a speed of 142 knots. Three seconds later the aircraft impacted a second hill at a speed of 135 knots and a 4.9 degree nose-up attitude. Six seconds after contacting the 2nd hill, the aircraft (at 126 kts) hit the ground with the right wing, which broke off. The Boeing cartwheeled, broke in five pieces and came to rest upside down. Only 11 of the 169 passengers survived, and there were no survivors among the 23 crew. Among the dead were Peruvian poet Manuel Scorza, Mexican novelist Jorge Ibargüengoitia, and Uruguayan literary critic Ángel Rama.
Ubidhabi !!!
UVGOD

Postby Antman » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:08 pm

Avianca is the European airlines from Spain

Small correction its a Columbian Airline. Same crowd that ran out of fuel trying to get into JFK on S#$%y night.
Antman
HASSELL checks

Postby jimdavis » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:10 pm

UVGOD wrote:In 1984 an Avianca jet crashed, Avianca is the European airlines from Spain. An Avianca jet crashed in Spain, I mean it was a big jet and it crashed into a mountain, and everybody was just instantly dead. As investigators began to study the accident they made an eerie discovery and this discovery that they make often is the curiosity that all of us look for, you know when they find the little black flight recorder. The black box cockpit recorder revealed that several minutes before a fatal impact, (the plane ran right into the side of a mountain), several minutes before the fatal impact there was a shrill computer synthesized voice like you hear on the telephone sometimes, a computer voice. And the little voice said in English, “Pull up, pull up, pull up, pull up, pull up!”. Well it was a warning system, right? The pilot, (and the flight recorder had this on it), the pilot inexplicably snapped back, “Shut up Gringo . . . shut up Gringo!” and flipped off the warning voice . . . flipped the switch. Minutes later the plane smashed into the mountain and everybody was dead. That’s a parable of how people are treating their consciences today. “Shut up gringo!”

It was funnier the way Guy told it. :lol: :lol:

Jim
"PPL Manual" http://www.jimdavis.co.za
"Flight Tests" - guaranteed to pass. jimdavis@telkomsa.net
After you have joined the famous Live Cowards Club the trick is to keep your membership current. jim@border.co.za
jimdavis
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand

Postby UVGOD » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:52 pm

:cry:
Ubidhabi !!!
UVGOD

Postby Grys Dweizelschidt » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:57 pm

Darwin's Little Helpers. They walk among us, I'm afraid.
Grys Dweizelschidt

Postby Mauler » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:28 pm

GL: Hou jou bek, Ingelsman!
Mauler
Six Tousand
Six Tousand

Postby Ray W » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:53 pm

GL wrote:Was sent to me this morning - made my day -

The 747 Captain declared to his crew that the non-precision approach will be successful, or “we’ll die trying”, and they did. He famously told the GPWS to ‘Shut up, gringo.’

Brilliant - very funny =D> =D> =D> =D>
Old age & treachery will triumph over youth & skill
Ray W
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing

Postby Tony van Vliet » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:14 am

GL wrote:Was sent to me this morning - made my day -

RUBBISH!
After the first GPWS warning the C1 (captain) said "Bueno Bueno" which roughly translated means "Okay Okay"
After the second warning he said "Bueno" (Okay)
None of the aforemetioned claptrap
ZS GCM ZS LVE ZS MGD ZS GVJ ZS GWG ZS GWX ZS EYJ ZS JNN ZS MWS ZS CJP ZSLGU ZU BDX ZU TAS ZU ICG
Tony van Vliet
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Postby Mike Gough » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:10 pm

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/ ... 00368.html

Lets have a reference, Tony, and we'll remove it from our CRM.
Mike Gough
Frequent AvComer

Postby dilligaf » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:35 pm

"Learning to fly is easy.....it's learning when not to fly that's the hard part"
dilligaf
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Postby Tony van Vliet » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:14 pm

Thanks Dilligaf you saved me some homework!

Mike from a CRM point of view there is still a lot that can be learnt from "Ökay, Okay" ( and the other crew members acceptance of that) so I would not remove it from your sylabus!

Cheers

Tony
ZS GCM ZS LVE ZS MGD ZS GVJ ZS GWG ZS GWX ZS EYJ ZS JNN ZS MWS ZS CJP ZSLGU ZU BDX ZU TAS ZU ICG
Tony van Vliet
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Postby GL » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:13 pm

Talk about Franglish!
Guy Leitch

Don't shoot the messenger
GL
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand

Postby Mike Gough » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:05 pm

Thanks dilligaf.

Around 15 seconds of GPWS before anything done? Maybe a reflection of the trust in the systems of the day, but had the crew reacted properly, a very different outcome...

Captain sets the tone in the flight deck.
Mike Gough
Frequent AvComer

Next

Return to General Aviation Chatter