Aviation chatter - For ALL Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts

Moderator: Moderators

• Advertisement

Callsign_Venom
Last nights Garlic 'repeats' itself.
Closest Airfield: AFB Ysterplaat

Sabre No.372’s (601) restoration diary...unveiled

Unread postby Callsign_Venom » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:24 pm

Since a few months before AAD 2008, the Canadair CL-138 Sabre Mk6; No.372 has been at AFB Ysterplaat. Since the air show in 2008 a great deal of effort went into the restoration of No.372. I felt it was time that AvCom had a thread that follows the restoration of this beautiful veteran. In this thread posts can be made of the progress of the Sabre. My first posts will be from when I started working at SAFM Ysterplaat to the progress of the Sabre on this very day. Each week when we do something on the aircraft it will be posted on this thread, so that everyone can se the progress. The team working on the Sabre crew are as follows:

Jon Durant (team leader)
Barrie Pieterse
Robbie Grant

Tristen Bennet (15)
Armand Bezuidenhout (14)
Henk Boshoff (15)
Rikus de Lange (14)
Emilio de Olim (14)
Dewald Hoffmann (17)
James Marx (14)
Luke McDonald (16)
Christopher Ruiters
Burney Albertus
Andre Swart (15)
Wilhelem Burger (15)

I’m sorry if I misspelled your name or got your age wrong, but I trust everything’s right.

Enjoy the tread. :D
Last edited by Callsign_Venom on Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:28 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Dewald Hoffmann: @DewaldHoff
Live each day as if you have never been where you're going, and love your loved ones as if you'll never see them again.
http://imbongi.wix.com/home
Callsign_Venom

Re: Sabre No.372’s restoration diary

Unread postby Callsign_Venom » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:39 pm

31/01/2009

My first time in hanger 4, the Mirage F1 and Sabre switched places, a backbreaking task if there’s only about 6 people pushing!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Live each day as if you have never been where you're going, and love your loved ones as if you'll never see them again.
Callsign_Venom

Unread postby Callsign_Venom » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:43 pm

07/02/2009

From the beginning of the project a big problem was opening the airbrakes. This was one of many efforts to dislodge the airbrakes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Callsign_Venom

Unread postby Callsign_Venom » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:47 pm

06/06/2009

It’s been a while since I’ve visited the Sabre, and a lot of progress has been made. The canopy has been taken of and a lot of broken and bent pieces has been stripped. The new avionics panel; that Jon built virtually from scratch, arrives. It looks absolutely awesome!
Callsign_Venom

Unread postby Callsign_Venom » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:51 pm

17/07/2009

It’s a momentous day and a huge breakthrough for the team; the airbrakes have finally been opened. A pin that was supposed to be released, had ceased because of corrosion. After a few holes had been made, and many tight crawls into the fuselage by Barrie, a bit of panel beating and some elbow grease, the airbrakes finally was folded open.
Callsign_Venom

Unread postby Callsign_Venom » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:55 pm

25/07/2009

With the airbrake out of the way, the crew’s attention was drawn to new priorities. All the areas that where dented and had holes in have been identified and the patching has now started at full steam.
kenironside
Incorrect Read back of ATC clearance
Closest Airfield: FAGG

Unread postby kenironside » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:58 pm

Thank you for the pics and commentary - this is one of my favourite aircraft and it is awesome to see her being so carefully restored. Please keep posting updates!

Thanks, Ken
ken ironside
about.me/kenironside
Callsign_Venom

Unread postby Callsign_Venom » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:03 pm

05/09/2009

New panels are starting to be made, which takes some time. While some of the team is working on the body, the rest are busy painting parts of the rear cockpit and inside the cockpit.
Callsign_Venom

Unread postby Callsign_Venom » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:08 pm

kenironside wrote:Thank you for the pics and commentary - this is one of my favourite aircraft and it is awesome to see her being so carefully restored. Please keep posting updates!

Thanks, Ken

Thanks Ken, will do :D

19/09/2009

The holes and dents have been patched, and are now being evened out. Some of the terribly battered and bent panels see new life and undergo a complete transformation.
Callsign_Venom

Unread postby Callsign_Venom » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:12 pm

21/11/2009

Adjustments are being made to the brand new gun panel, just finished by Barrie. Although I’ve helped out quite a lot of times with the restoration of the Sabre, this was the first day I was officially a part of the Sabre crew. :mrgreen:
Callsign_Venom

Unread postby Callsign_Venom » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:19 pm

28/11/2009

A large scale sanding initiative was launched. The sabre had to be sanded by hand, the old paint had to be sanded to a certain texture, the new paint won’t stay properly if the texture’s not right. All the drops of paint must be sanded off that had dripped along the fuselage when the bird was last sprayed. Today everyone would sand and the focus point would be the fuselage, the wings and lower fuselage would be done later.
Stephan van Tonder
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Petit

Unread postby Stephan van Tonder » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:28 pm

I assume this is restore to static display condition not flying?
Callsign_Venom

Unread postby Callsign_Venom » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:29 pm

12/12/2009

Today we continued the sanding of the aircraft; we finished the top and started sanding the bottom part of the fuselage. Henk and Andre stripped some paint at the tailpipe, while the rest got used to sanding upside down :mrgreen: . Barrie unscrewed landing gear panels, and Chris and Jon worked on the outer right wing of the plane. The bird’s taking shape, and the excitement in the team is starting to grow, as our deadline starts to approach. I only have mobile photos of today; my camera’s batteries had run empty when I started taking photos. :(
Can1
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: Richmond KZN RSA

Unread postby Can1 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:57 pm

It is not only wonderful to see the youth spending their time in such a productive manner but also ensuring that a wonderful aircraft does not see the bone-yard.

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Keep up the excellent work.
Craig Ralphs
ZU-DHR
http://www.vuplexsa.co.za

Why be yourself when you can be someone really worthwhile - Richard Bandler

I'm not a complete idiot.........Some parts are still missing :wink:
Ray W
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: OR Tambo

Unread postby Ray W » Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:46 pm

You guys are doing a great job on one of my favorite aircraft - well done all of you =D> =D> =D>
Old age & treachery will triumph over youth & skill

Return to “General Aviation Chatter”