Moderator: Moderators

Re: rockwell commander 112 TC..

Postby ticky » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:20 pm

The cabin noise should be a bit less with the TC
ticky
Radio Call

Postby Mauler » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:38 pm

mr vlieg te lekker wrote:P51 mustang was also a aircraft that they had part in or built if i understand the story correct..

Yes. The P-51 was designed and built by North American. The 112/114 was by North American Rockwell Aero Commander. The business was later sold to Gulfstream who produced a few hundred. Then the twins were sold off to Shrike and the singles were produced by Commander Aircraft Company, who later hit the skids. The type certificate and assets were bought up by a group of Commander owners, but that too has now failed.

I used to own a 112 ZS-IZM, which I believe is sitting in a hangar at Wonderboom after having done a wheels-up a few years ago. The repairs were never completed and it has changed hands a few times. I miss that aerie: it was pretty special.

There is another thread here somewhere where the Commander singles were discussed in depth. Try searching for it.

The 112TCA is a great performer, but they are pretty rare - and the engines are also a pretty special item.
Mauler
Six Tousand
Six Tousand

Postby mr vlieg te lekker » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:50 pm

There are few 112 TC for sale... The price is high for engine"s that have 300 hours till TBO..
I came across a website and company and there is a fair amount of 112 and TC for sale...

I know with turbo motors one needs to understand that warm up periods and cooling is critical.. Steep desends is a no no which can damage the cilinders in the cooling proses...

"Shutting down" is belangrik dat die engines vir 2 tot 3 minute goed staan en idel.. Temp moet "settle"
mr vlieg te lekker
Aircraft in Hangar

Postby Ever-so-Clever » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:59 am

Hi Mnr VtL

I see my name was mentioned above so feel i should respond. I have had a 114 (260HP Lycoming) since 2009 and it is a fantastic plane. The comments above on being solid, especially undercarriage, are spot on. I have commented that it feels like a nice 1970's Merc, strong, solid and spacious. I really noticed the space when recently doing my night rating on a 172 which was really cramped.

I tend to fly conservatively so hard to comment on limits but did do a run out of FAGM (Rand) in February at max weight of 3140lbs (just me as PIC and a load of food for a charity) and took off Runway 11 (uphill) with plenty to spare although the climb was a little gentle and needed to be nurtured (temp was probably around 20C). For consumption, again i fly conservatively and get 130TAS at 10.5 to 11 GPH at 55%. I was on the Serengetti Safari trip (see pic of us landing a Lake Manyara on Kieran's thread!!) and consumption was slightly more than comparative planes at similar speeds - that extra size / space does come at a little cost.

As to spares / MPI, i have not had a problem with spares as most issues have been engine related. I have 3 MPI's of which two cost lot less than annual hangarage and one was pretty pricy with quite a lot done. But based on relatively low purchase prices for a lot of plane believe the trade on slighly more fuel and mainteancne more than balanced with plane price.

I am not sure what more you want to know but please PM me for more details or a flip if you in the FAGM area.

Trevor

PS - Ray: while doing night rating at FAGC I saw that Rockwell ofen. it looks like tyres flat and agree appears not flown much.
Ever-so-Clever
Incipient Spin

Postby mr vlieg te lekker » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:02 pm

Trevor thank u once more for the info...

If by chance yes i would like to go for a quick spin...
To all the other parties here thank u...

These are good planes... Solid!!

Of all the info gather people seems to prefer the 112 turbo..40 liter per hour and doing a 155knots at fl115 not bad at all...

Ps there is a 112 for sale is SA...

Yet again thank u for the support...

Fly safe!!!
mr vlieg te lekker
Aircraft in Hangar

Postby AlbertDeWitte » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:21 pm

Hi All

I accidently came accross this post being the owner of ZS-KJU

I still enjoy the plane and hope to fly her till I retire. She now has 2262 Total and TBO in 1338. I will not finish those hrs for sure.

Parts does seem to be an issue, I know of 2 wheelsup where flaps, wing parts and under caraige parts are not available. So if you buy a Commander, dont have a wheelsup. Make sure your emergency is working and how to use it is critical.

I tried some time ago to get away from the Certified catagory but no luck with the Bosses at Midrand.

Keep it safe
AlbertDeWitte
Frequent AvComer

Postby AlbertDeWitte » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:16 am

Hi Fellow Commander Enthusiasts

I came accross this link where the history of the Commander and performance data per model for your info.
http://www.pilotfriend.com/aircraft%20p ... mander.htm

Also see the press release from Commander Premier Aircraft Corporation
http://www.commanderpremier.com

http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?do=m ... 0e0a2eb241

http://www.aopa.org/News-and-Video/All- ... rise-again

Regards
AlbertDeWitte
Frequent AvComer

Postby Barros » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:04 pm

Buy a turbo arrow 111 better aeroplane.
Commanders gonna cost you your liver
Barros
Straight and Level

Postby GeraldNagel » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:57 pm

As to spares / MPI, i have not had a problem with spares as most issues have been engine related.

I would stay away owning one of these.

You will battle to obtain spares for it.
GeraldNagel
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Postby Ray W » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:06 pm

This one just seems to sit at GC :( :( :(
Attachments
ZS-SOH 20110413 FAGC 1870.JPG
ZS-SOH 20110413 FAGC 1870.JPG (90.65 KiB) Viewed 365 times
Old age & treachery will triumph over youth & skill
Ray W
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing

Postby Millibar » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:01 pm

To own my own aerie is probably the number one thing on my bucket list and i have been trying to learn as much as possible about how the decission to buy and what to buy should be approached.

I have also always been a fan of the Commander and what i read on this thread went against what i thought was the conventional wisdom when buying and owning your own aerie.

I always thought that you should buy the aerie you need and not the aerie you want. Secondly and more particularly relevant to the Commander, if there is not a lot of them around there is probably a good reason for that not mentioning the maintenance challenges that comes with scarce aeries.

Is this approach correct or am i too narrow minded?

P.S. if there is a more relevant thread for this topic please advise
Millibar
Preflighting

Postby pieter001 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:41 am

It is mostly about passion... If it is a buck list item for you, then you buy what you like and find a way to make it work :)

Your approach is correct, clinical, but your heart is not in that approach. When you get there, you'll understand.

Oh, it is also hugely dependant on what is available in terms of plane and budget too.
ZS-CBW Mooney M20E - Plane Jane -> Sadly she is no more
Building a Whisper X
pieter001
Radio Call

Postby julianbg » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:25 am

Oddly enough I was contacted by the owner of the TCA above (nice pic) at GC.

I brought it in from Canada in 2009 and he told me only yesterday that he is thinking of selling it as he doesnt fly it.

If anybody is interested please send me a PM. I know he is leasving the country for a while on Saturday but the ball could start rolling for any potential new owner.

J
if you think you can or you think you cant, you're right!
julianbg
Airspeed active

Postby PJL » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:07 am

I too looked hard and long at the commander and if it was under the control of a reliable supplier it would have been a harder decision going the RV10 route. Cost of maintenance, for me, is an issue as I fly a lot and I want to keep the expenses under reasonable control and paying double for spares and work on an type certified aerie did not fit the bill (pun intended).

PJL
To invent an airplane is nothing. To build one is something. To fly it is everything. — Otto Lilienthal

"When once you have tasted flight,
you will forever walk the earth
with your eyes turned skywards."
― Leonardo da Vinci
PJL
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet

Postby AndyCapp » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:38 pm

Hi All,
Anyone that can do training and sign out on a Rockwell Commander 114.
Regards,
Andy
AndyCapp
Aircraft in Hangar

PreviousNext

Return to General Aviation Chatter