Mogas in a Mooney

Founded in 1929, the Mooney Airplane Company has delivered more than 11,000 aircraft worldwide.

Moderator: Moderators

Mogas in a Mooney

Postby andrem » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:39 pm

Hi all, just joined the ranks of the Mooney pilots in a M20J and want to hear from people who have experience with MOGAS in a Mooney (not thoughts thanks, I have read a lot of thoughts already. At this stage I need some practical experience.)

2 AMO's told me that many Mooney M20J's in SA fly on MOGAS STC's - are any of them on AVCOM? What has your experience been?

I saw that SA Mooney discourages it because an engine had detonation on all 4 cylinders. Mooney forum reckons that problem is related to the low tanks, more than the chance of detonation. Any experience in this regard?

I do not have a sophisticated engine monitoring system on board yet and my Mooney had 2 owners before me who only used AVGAS. I am concerned that we may land at outlying areas and need to put in some MOGAS to get home safely when we travel.

Thanks guys.
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
andrem
Frequent AvComer

Re: Mogas in a Mooney

Postby Lood » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:12 pm

AFAIK, the IO360 is not approved for Mogas, neither any of the Mooney airframes. Whoever flies a Mooney with Mogas is doing so at great risk, in my opinion and I won't recommend it. Repairing a certified aircraft engine is extremely expensive - ask me, I've just been through that and if your engine does fail as a result of using Mogas, the insurance is also going to show you the middle finger.
Contact Horace wrt Mogas STC. He'll be able to give you the correct answer.
"An airplane might disappoint any pilot, but it'll never surprise a good one." — Len Morgan
Lood
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Postby pieter001 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:54 pm

Agree with Lood.
The O360 can take Mogas, but the IO360 is high compression and that makes it prone to detonation. The injectors are also a concern as not each cylinder gets the exact same amount of fuel everytime.
Simply put: At the cost of engine repairs, I would not risk it. Plan your flights around avgas availability...
ZS-CBW Mooney M20E - Plane Jane -> Sadly she is no more
Building a Whisper X
pieter001
HASSELL checks

Postby andrem » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:17 pm

Thanks guys.
andrem
Frequent AvComer

Postby andrem » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:17 pm

Thanks guys.
andrem
Frequent AvComer

Return to Mooney