Prepar3d

Synthetic and Virtual aviation of all kinds.

Moderator: Moderators

Prepar3d

Postby zswobbie1 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:36 pm

Mmmmm, anyone tried Prepar3d? Any better than FSX? Any issues to worry about?
zswobbie1
Incorrect Read back of ATC clearance

Re: Prepar3d

Postby Christo » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:41 pm

zswobbie1 wrote:Mmmmm, anyone tried Prepar3d? Any better than FSX? Any issues to worry about?

Biggest issue, might be resolved now, is no Track IR support, so if you use it it's kinda a dealbreaker :(
Due to the price increase in ammunition, do not expect a warning shot.

Gunfree South Africa
Suck my Glock!
Christo
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet

Postby zswobbie1 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:47 am

Gonna give it a try tomorrow & will report back. Track IR not an issue as yet, but just would like to see how P3D compares to FSX.
zswobbie1

Postby AndyF1 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:13 am

I am very happy so far with P3D and it appears to run better than FSX. While I really enjoyed FSX I became tired of the errors especialy "fatal errors", and so an "upgrade" had to be considered.

The important part if you want to move a lot of FSX 3rd party across, is obtain the migration tool it saves a lot of effort even though it is possibly to move software across manually but if you a nana like me and forget a file it takes hours to work out the problem.

I have GSX, UT2, Mytraffic, PFE, REX, scenery files working in P3D and so far, so good. Yes there is a lot of bla bla about license etc but there are ways around that for e.g. some license agreements do not exclude P3D even though the developers are not happy. REX for e.g. does and I bought their "P3D version" for US$4 to put myself on the right side of the law. UT2 license does not specify P3D so the developer has resorted to "we will not support our programme in P3D" which in my opinion is a bit of "cut off your nose to............"

In this process, I add this as an option, began using liveatc directly into the sim as background ATC chatter, it is great, there is a small programme that helps with managing online ATC but it is not required as one can control it manually if you do not wish to lay out the bucks. I am not sure about Aeroworx scenery have not tried it yet, at this stage it may not be necessary.
For Zim$ 2, I bet you............
Andrew Fordred
AndyF1
< than 500' looking for landing in case

Postby Cornell Blok » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:24 am

AndyF1 wrote:I am very happy so far with P3D and it appears to run better than FSX. While I really enjoyed FSX I became tired of the errors especialy "fatal errors", and so an "upgrade" had to be considered.

The important part if you want to move a lot of FSX 3rd party across, is obtain the migration tool it saves a lot of effort even though it is possibly to move software across manually but if you a nana like me and forget a file it takes hours to work out the problem.

I have GSX, UT2, Mytraffic, PFE, REX, scenery files working in P3D and so far, so good. Yes there is a lot of bla bla about license etc but there are ways around that for e.g. some license agreements do not exclude P3D even though the developers are not happy. REX for e.g. does and I bought their "P3D version" for US$4 to put myself on the right side of the law. UT2 license does not specify P3D so the developer has resorted to "we will not support our programme in P3D" which in my opinion is a bit of "cut off your nose to............"

In this process, I add this as an option, began using liveatc directly into the sim as background ATC chatter, it is great, there is a small programme that helps with managing online ATC but it is not required as one can control it manually if you do not wish to lay out the bucks. I am not sure about Aeroworx scenery have not tried it yet, at this stage it may not be necessary.

Great news Andy =D>

Also I think Prepar3d is a 64bit program so that's much better for the developers
Petrol attendant in Training/Car Wash Supervisor

http://africaworldva.com

ZS-NNiX
Cornell Blok
Six Tousand
Six Tousand

Postby Christo » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:11 am

Andy, did they built in TIR support yet? Is there plans to get it done?
Due to the price increase in ammunition, do not expect a warning shot.

Gunfree South Africa
Suck my Glock!
Christo
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet

Postby AndyF1 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:11 pm

Christo apparently it is working P3D I have not followed this aspect in detail, on the P3D forums it has been discussed and some guys made changes to files but the most worthwhile forum in this regard is:

http://forum.naturalpoint.com/forum/ubb ... mber=53743
Andrew Fordred
AndyF1

Postby AndyF1 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:31 am

FAGG this morning
Attachments
CRJ FAGG.jpg
Andrew Fordred
AndyF1

Postby zswobbie1 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:49 am

Well, I'm giving it a try! Water looks amazing! I'm running it on an i5 laptop, 4GB ram, Windows 7 64 bit. Its a lot smoother than FSX, with similar frame rates. I tried it on an i7 laptop, 16GB ram BUT Windows 7 32 bit & got OOM errors. So, just goes to show that you need Windows 7 64 bit.

I have not had much time to check out P3D as much I would like, but it seems to be a winner so far.
Apart from the default aircraft, it comes standard with Just Flight's Connie, P38 & Lionheart's Moonie Aclaim. Also a submersible!! Yes-- underwater activities as well!
At least it is being supported by Lockheed Martin & will be upgraded (from version 1.4 to version 2 hopefully in the not too distant future), whereas FSX is obviously no longer supported by Microsoft. Methinks this is the way to go?
zswobbie1

Postby AndyF1 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:59 am

It does not seem that version 2 will be out shortly as the development team appears to be busy with some adjustments according to their forum.

The crucial part with P3D is the installation process to avoid problems in the future. While it is fairly straightforward and the instructions should be followed to the letter otherwise it will throw up errors. Then this guy has done a lot of work on both sims but in particular has provided an installation guideline in the form of checklist 1 and 2, this is also to avoid problems in the future and ensure stability http://flightsimeindhoven.nl/?page_id=6715

Therefore, "installation preparation" is essential.

From monitoring the forums last night P3D does not like being on the same drive as FSX apparently due to conflicts of some files being the same name or attempts to share them.

My only negative point so far is buying Mytraffic specifically for P3D as the aircraft models are a shocker from close up i.e. at the gate/parking, nice from far, but far from nice and some weird schedules, so I will be remaining UT2 for the time being.
Andrew Fordred
AndyF1

Postby zswobbie1 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:24 pm

I just installed P3D to the default folder, no preparation at all. Maybe I had no problems because I run a pretty clean PC. Anyway, I activated it & off i went. No issues whatsoever. I had FSX also installed as well as FS9, Golden Wings & Flight. No issues at all, even though all these were on the same drive. After a few hours, I uninstalled FSX as it was taking up 70 odd Gigs of space. No conflicts at all.I had not seen that link before, thanks for that.
zswobbie1

Postby AndyF1 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:48 pm

Default folder meaning c:\programfiles\p3d..........?

Also recommended that it should not be installed in this folder, I mention this for anyone else who intends to install p3d. It should be placed in its own folder e.g. c:\p3d and also importantly run as administrator.

Its great that you don't have conflicts but apparently they appear over time and start with fatal errors and *.dll failures. This is mentioned as prevention to future issues.
Andrew Fordred
AndyF1

Postby zswobbie1 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:36 pm

Yup, into c:\Program Files (x86)\.... never a problem. I installed FSX, FS2004 & Golden Wings (2nd install of FS2004 with regressed scenery to the 1930's/40's) all in Program Files (x86). NEVER a problem at all, over the last few years. As admin of course, with User Account Settings right down to the bottom. Well, for me, it has always worked. I have never had .dll errors of fatal errors, & I have thrown everthing including the bathroom sink into FSX.
zswobbie1

Return to Virtual Aviation