BEST PROP FOR DLE 30 ?

Radio Controlled and static aviation scale models. Including Nitro, Electric, Free flight, Control line and Gliders. All disciplines welcome.

Moderator: Moderators

BEST PROP FOR DLE 30 ?

Postby SNIPER » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:01 pm

What results have you guys found with props on a Dle 30 , I have mine in a 1/4 scale extra.
You don't stop playing because you get old -You get old because you stop playing!

Barry Wolmarans
SNIPER
1k poster
1k poster

Re: BEST PROP FOR DLE 30 ?

Postby DustyV3 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:33 pm

HI Sniper

I have a new Sbach 30cc (DLE) and have a JXF 18x8 CF and have found this to be just ideal there are a four 25% Planes at our club including 2 Extra260 (Pilot RC) and we are all flying with 18x8 (various makes) except one chap who is flying a 19x8. if you prefer a little more power try the 19x8 and if you prefer a little more speed try the 18x10.

hope this helps.
DustyV3
Taxiing

Postby SNIPER » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:02 pm

Thanx a ton !
You don't stop playing because you get old -You get old because you stop playing!

Barry Wolmarans
SNIPER
1k poster
1k poster

Postby clivem » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:25 pm

19x8 is the way to go =D> =D> should see around 7300rpm
SA Agent for Topmodel, Mintor Engines , GP Engines, Falcon Propellors, Fromeco and Tech Aero Products
electrics are motors, but there is no soul in them. An engine is so much more.....
Save a plane - Fly FUTABA !!!
http://www.cmchobbies.co.za
clivem
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand

Postby henlo » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:33 pm

clivem wrote:19x8 is the way to go =D> =D> should see around 7300rpm

Clive, kan dit dan wees? My MT35 gee dan 7000rpm met daardie prop op...
henlo
Incorrect Read back of ATC clearance

Postby SNIPER » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:26 am

What make do you suggest?
Is it worth the extra bucks for the more expensive props?

Barry Wolmarans
SNIPER
1k poster
1k poster

Postby clivem » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:39 am

henlo wrote:

Clive, kan dit dan wees? My MT35 gee dan 7000rpm met daardie prop op...

Henlo
this is your MT 35 when we test ran it with a 19x8 JXF. THe JXF is a fairly 'heavy' load prop. this is with the motor still brand new. Run in you should see 100-200 rpm gain no problem. you are almost at the coast arent you? I am at 3300ft asl where the motor was run. if yours is down on that, it may just be running too warm in the cowl, watch for good cooling. Also on a lighter load prop you will see a bit more.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kocp_9ukuw

DLE 30 will give you much the same top end RPM - note i say around 7300rpm (i would consider anything 7000 plus just fine)
my gut feel is still the MT35 has better low end grunt and when you open the throttle it says how far you wanna go :lol:

another point RPM is subjective to temperature, heat build up, different tachos etc etc etc if your getting close to what others are your doing just fine. when your 1000 rpm out you know you have a problem.
SA Agent for Topmodel, Mintor Engines , GP Engines, Falcon Propellors, Fromeco and Tech Aero Products
electrics are motors, but there is no soul in them. An engine is so much more.....
clivem
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand

Postby clivem » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:49 am

SNIPER wrote:

What make do you suggest?
Is it worth the extra bucks for the more expensive props?

I'm running Hawk 19x8 or JXF 19x8
prefer the hawk - is slightly lighter load, so will probably spool up a bit faster and flys slower but 19" has good pull.
JXF 19x8 being heavier load, probably flys a bit faster...
personal preference but not much in it.
More expensive props ..................mmmmmmmmmmmm........... its all personal preference and depend on your application, but thats just my opinion.
sure mejlik are nice if you want to pay for them
clivem
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand

Postby Dobo » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:17 pm

Whilst the max RPM gives us some indication of the engines power, it tells us little of its ability in the air. The mid range torque band is very important, and gives the engine the ability to spool up the prop quickly, and gives you crisp throttle response. I was amazed when the Super Tigre 2300 (23cc) came on the scene. It would get almost identical top end RPM to the Super Tigre 3000 (30 cc) However, with an 18 x 8 master airscrew Classic glass prop, the spool up speeds were dramatically different. The 2300 was lethargic. The ST 3000 won hands down. Now, when you are doing 3D, and you are relying on your throttle to provide thrust when required, you need torque. I think the MT 35 would win here. IT is a longer stroke motor than others in its class. Interestingly, the MVVS 45 (43 cc) has the same stroke and bore - very unusual for a model motor, but it enables it to swing big props. This design philosophy runs through the MVVS range, and from what I have read, it is also an MT engine characteristic. I have had some email exchanges with Tommy, the designer at MT engines, and he kept telling me to use a bigger prop, as he said in his words "Engine has much torque"
Dobo - "Just Plane Crazy"
Dobo
1k poster
1k poster

Postby SNIPER » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:43 am

I have another Dle 30 that is going into mt 1/4 scale balsa usa pup,I would love to swing a big scale prop on this,any ideas ? The 30 cc is way more than enough for this light plane but she would have needed tons of nose weight anyway .

Barry Wolmarans
SNIPER
1k poster
1k poster

Return to General Model Aircraft Chatter