Pacemaker

Medicine and other human performance related issues.

Moderator: Moderators

T4flyer
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Lanseria

Pacemaker

Unread post by T4flyer » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:22 pm

I have just started reading this forum, fascinating stuff =D> =D>

I have a question I don't think has been covered before (at least I couldn't find any reference to it!) Can you still carry on flying if you have had a pacemaker fitted? I guess the question should be can you still obtain a PPL class 2 medical or a NPL class 4 medical if you have had a pacemaker fitted?

Cheers.
Flymed
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: Greater Gauteng

Re: Pacemaker

Unread post by Flymed » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:35 am

Yes, you can. It does however depend on the reason why the pacemaker was fitted, the degree of normalisation effected by the pacemaker, the type of pacemaker and also the medications that is used in conjunction with the pacemaker. Obviously a full cardiologist report will be asked for and maybe even a MIBI scan depending on the diagnoses.
T4flyer
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by T4flyer » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:30 pm

Thanks for that Flymed,

I decided to start having annual check-ups with my GP last year, she was was somewhat concerned that my resting heart rate was low, I told her it has always been like that!, I just assumed it was normal! She said we will need to monitor my resting heart rate and maybe at some point I might need a pacemaker :shock: . Of course I am worried that going that route might spell the end of my flying. (By the way other than the resting heart rate she said I was in excellent condition =D> )

Cheers.
Flymed
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by Flymed » Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:21 pm

T4flyer wrote:Thanks for that Flymed,

I decided to start having annual check-ups with my GP last year, she was was somewhat concerned that my resting heart rate was low, I told her it has always been like that!, I just assumed it was normal! She said we will need to monitor my resting heart rate and maybe at some point I might need a pacemaker :shock: . Of course I am worried that going that route might spell the end of my flying. (By the way other than the resting heart rate she said I was in excellent condition =D> )

Cheers.
What is your heartrate's response to exercise?
A low rate need not be an abnormality.
T4flyer
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by T4flyer » Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:47 pm

Hi Flymed,

As far as I'm aware my heart rate responds normally to exercise, it picks up as I exercise and slows down as it should, my GP's only concern was that when it returns to resting rate "my normal" it is slower than she says it should be. No doctor has ever mentioned this to me before and I think my resting heart rate has always been fairly slow (I always thought it was a good thing :shock: )

Cheers.
Flymed
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by Flymed » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:12 pm

T4flyer wrote:Hi Flymed,

As far as I'm aware my heart rate responds normally to exercise, it picks up as I exercise and slows down as it should, my GP's only concern was that when it returns to resting rate "my normal" it is slower than she says it should be. No doctor has ever mentioned this to me before and I think my resting heart rate has always been fairly slow (I always thought it was a good thing :shock: )

Cheers.
It may well be. In very fit people a resting heartrate of even as low as 40 may be normal. Many years ago I used to be very fit myself and had a resting heartrate of 42 to 46 with no ill effect. Point is that you need to make sure that it is normal in your case.
FlyingSheepMan

Unread post by FlyingSheepMan » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:47 pm

Hi,

A little bit off topic, but I have also visited the doctor recently. And he was concerned that it "looked like my heart wanted to give an extra beat" according to the ECG tests he did on me. :shock: He did however conclude that it wasn't something serious enough for immediate concern, since my cholesterol and blood pressure is fine, heart beat also fine, resting at 57.

I am just a bit paranoid at the moment for what this could mean!?
Flymed
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by Flymed » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:05 pm

An extra beat could one of a few things, but mostly it will refer to an uncoupled extra systole. This is an innocent occurrence of no clinical value in the absence of any other abnormalities on ECG.
FlyingSheepMan

Unread post by FlyingSheepMan » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:23 pm

Phew, well for now it will make me sleep better at night!

Thanks for the quick response :D
MAURI
Flight Planning

Unread post by MAURI » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:13 am

Good day

I require some much needed advice regarding flying with a pacemaker.
I hold a commercial fixed wing license and received a pacemaker.

I worked as a grade 3 flight instructor before I received the pacemaker.
I am now restricted to a multi-crew only.

I unfortunately do not have enough experience to land a position as a F/O on a multi crew aircraft.
Struggling to figure out what my options are.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Mauri
VFR Basics: Keep the blue side up.
Johan7720
Take off Clearance
Closest Airfield: ORTIA

Unread post by Johan7720 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:32 pm

My (55 year old) resting heart rate is in the region of 51-53. I am as unfit as anything but have normal BP 120/80 and cholestrol is on the low side. After many tests etc the cardiologist said to me - live with it.

Return to “Aviation medical and related issues”