FlySafair first to enable card payment for inflight refreshments

Discussions pertaining to Airline operations,safety and training for Flight Deck Crew. Open to anyone who would like to learn all aspects of the Airline industry from a pilots perspective.

Moderator: Moderators

• Advertisement

Deanw
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Closest Airfield: FACT

Unread postby Deanw » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:14 am

9 Feb 2018: Fin24

FlySafair has become the first local low-cost carrier to offer card payments on all of its flights.

The airline has officially launched AviaPay, a new mobile point of sale system which enables passengers to use their credit and debit cards to purchase refreshments inflight.

The solution, which is the result of a partnership between BlueMarket Retail Solutions and payment service providers PayGate and PosMarket, was specifically designed to address the needs of the aviation industry.

Commenting on the innovation Kirby Gordon, head of sales and distribution at FlySafair, said: “Not only will this make transacting easier, but it also means passengers won’t have to risk carrying cash on them."

Another major benefit of the technology is that FlySafair can now provide travellers with receipts, regardless of the payment method used. This will help business travellers manage their expense claims, and also assist travel management teams who process these claims.

Theron Uys, business development director at BlueMarket, said that that while working with FlySafair, the company was able to implement this system in a two-month period.

"There are already discussions around added functionality," said Uys. "Look out for new innovations to be launched in the near future with FlySafair."
How come every time my ship comes in I'm at the airport?

http://www.SAairforce.co.za
FoxTROT
1k poster
1k poster

Re: FlySafair first to enable card payment for inflight refreshments

Unread postby FoxTROT » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:50 pm

I flew a kulula flight at the end of January and they announced that they would be cashless from 1 February?
V5 - LEO
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: FYWH

Unread postby V5 - LEO » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:22 pm

FoxTROT wrote:I flew a kulula flight at the end of January and they announced that they would be cashless from 1 February?

....most SA airlines seems to be cashless :twisted:
In God I trust. The masses are never right, the minority are sometimes right, but the truth is always right.
“One good teacher in a lifetime may sometimes change a delinquent into a solid citizen.” — Philip Wylie
FoxTROT
1k poster
1k poster

Unread postby FoxTROT » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:56 pm

V5 - LEO wrote:
FoxTROT wrote:I flew a kulula flight at the end of January and they announced that they would be cashless from 1 February?

....most SA airlines seems to be cashless :twisted:

No, only the State owned ones! :wink:
Burner
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: LIMB

Unread postby Burner » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:22 pm

British Airways in the UK on the short haul routes now charge in economy for food/drinks and don't accept cash, only contactless cards. I really can't see a similar thing working in SA. We aren't a culture yet where the majority of people are happy to ''tap'' instead of paying cash.

Also what about younger travellers whom don't perhaps have cards?
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return"
Deanw
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Closest Airfield: FACT

Unread postby Deanw » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:14 am

Burner wrote:
FoxTROT wrote:Also what about younger travellers whom don't perhaps have cards?

They have debit cards, most if which are also available with contactless functionality.
How come every time my ship comes in I'm at the airport?

http://www.SAairforce.co.za
Burner
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: LIMB

Unread postby Burner » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:23 am

Deanw wrote:
Burner wrote:
FoxTROT wrote:Also what about younger travellers whom don't perhaps have cards?

They have debit cards, most if which are also available with contactless functionality.

I also fly a lot with Iberia, which along with BA are part of IAG. They accept cards and cash, and I'm assuming that it's probably related to research done in Spain/their customer base, where they've realised a large percentage of them don't want to pay with plastic.

I think it's rather silly from Kulula's part if they go from only cash, straight to only plastic in a matter of a month.
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return"

Return to “Airline Chatter”