Avionics Upgrade for Cessna 210?

RNAV, GNSS, GPSS. Your place to discuss all aspects pertaining to Instrument Flying.

Moderator: Moderators

hed
Take off Clearance
Closest Airfield: Morningstar

Avionics Upgrade for Cessna 210?

Unread post by hed » Fri May 04, 2018 1:05 pm

Hi Guys,

I own a very nice Cessna 210 with a traditional, functional, but creaking lay-out of instrumentation. I have recently upgraded the engine to the IO-550 and am now contemplating also investing in the avionics suite, as the old instrumentation is starting to fall apart (increasing frequency of intermittent problems, difficulty to source spare-parts for legacy systems etc.), and because I plan to own and fly the plane for many years to come, and want to have a reliable, updated VMC and IMC flying platform.

I am now torn between going for the new, Mercedes Benz option (GTN750/650 or G500 with associated upgrades), or 2nd-hand, Toyota Corolla option (GNS430/530).

I am a 1000 hour PPL, fly regularly (around 50-70 hours a year) with no instrument or night rating. I plan to do night/instrument rating in the next year or so, once the avionics suite has been upgraded. I am struggling to get to grips with the variety of options. Cost is of course a major consideration, but not the only one. Most important to me is to have a stable, reliable, functional aircraft that is well equipped for typical IMC flying. I am not a gadget guru and do not need to own all the latest mod-cons, which is why I am tending towards the GNS430/530 option. The biggest problem is that I am not yet qualified or experienced enough to make the right judgement call on this.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Heye
Iceberg
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAWB

Re: Avionics Upgrade for Cessna 210?

Unread post by Iceberg » Fri May 04, 2018 1:15 pm

Hi Hed

With your machine and the intended upgrades, I recommend getting an IF rating. Makes long distance flying much easier and less stressful. Lots of work and money but its worth it.

I fly mostly my trusty 1978 Seneca 2. In 2013 I added a GTN650 linked to an Aspen1000 PFD which drives my legacy Altimatic III autopilot. I have had the autopilot overhauled including the servos. I also added a Garmin340 audio panel The result: a plane that rivals late model Seneca V's in capability for a fraction of the cost.

This is what it looks like:
panel.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The sky is not the limit....
ZS-MDK
Karl Eschberger
FlyingFinn
Take off Clearance
Closest Airfield: FASH

Unread post by FlyingFinn » Fri May 04, 2018 1:19 pm

Hi,

I have flown PPL IF for 20 years now, much of it in a 210

the most important part of the upgrade in my view would be the autopilot, make sure it's a really good one

the 430 / 530 is plenty capable to take you from A to B with the good a/p
problem with the 430 is the cost of database updates, it's ridiculous

one avenue would be to wait for the Dynon certified equipment to be available for the 210 and then get that package
lot's of bang for the buck coming up there

Markku
Fransw
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: Pretoria

Unread post by Fransw » Fri May 04, 2018 6:18 pm

FlyingFinn wrote:Hi,

I have flown PPL IF for 20 years now, much of it in a 210

the most important part of the upgrade in my view would be the autopilot, make sure it's a really good one

the 430 / 530 is plenty capable to take you from A to B with the good a/p
problem with the 430 is the cost of database updates, it's ridiculous

one avenue would be to wait for the Dynon certified equipment to be available for the 210 and then get that package
lot's of bang for the buck coming up there

Markku
I see Dynon had a C172 at Oshkosh with a fully equipped Dynon IFR glass panel. They estimate the cost at about $20k for the upgrade, that includes ±40 hour installation. Sounds like good value!
Fransw
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: Pretoria

Unread post by Fransw » Fri May 04, 2018 6:41 pm

I belief this is the Dynon equipped C172..
images.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ppakotze
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: Fly from FAFK

Unread post by ppakotze » Fri May 18, 2018 7:22 am

Garmin 430 is adequate, our weekly IF charter uses it as the main navigation source.

Regards
P.
Alex_aviates
Flight Planning
Closest Airfield: FASH

Unread post by Alex_aviates » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:13 am

Would first worry about passing that horrible IR exam
pwnel
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: KTEB

Unread post by pwnel » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:10 pm

hed wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 1:05 pm
I am now torn between going for the new, Mercedes Benz option (GTN750/650 or G500 with associated upgrades), or 2nd-hand, Toyota Corolla option (GNS430/530).

I am a 1000 hour PPL, fly regularly (around 50-70 hours a year) with no instrument or night rating. I plan to do night/instrument rating in the next year or so, once the avionics suite has been upgraded. I am struggling to get to grips with the variety of options.
Just to give you a comparison, I fly a turbo Mooney based a few miles from Manhattan. Most of the time I file IFR and this often takes me directly overhead JFK in IMC. Pretty much the most intense airspace you can imagine.

I have a 430W, a very nice transponder - NGT 9000 that gives me traffic and weather that also displays on my iPad with Foreflight. (You don't have those WX and traffic options in SA though). The rest is still steam guages. I have a good legacy autopilot - Century 2000 - which is critical. No autopilot, no IMC for me.

I'm upgrading sometime to the Aspen as the Seneca driver has - it's just more accurate with less hassle. But that setup is more than sufficient to fly IMC in the most demanding conditions. Sure a GTN750/650 with G500 Txi would be awesome - but it's insanely expensive and total overkill - especially in SA - and especially if you're not regularly going to fly hard IFR.

My suggestion to you: Get the GTN 650 if you must - add two G5's - and wait until the GFC500 autopilot is certified for the 210 - it's already in progress. This suggestion is centered around what you'll need to make the GFC500 work - which would add immensely to your safety.
PPL (IF), 300hrs TT, MCSA SAR member, flies out of FACT, KBLM (Monmouth Exec, NJ - USA).
N5810T - Mooney 231
TimJ
Aircraft in Hangar
Closest Airfield: FARA

Unread post by TimJ » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:13 pm

Snapshot of my C-172 panel. Dynon EFIS D100 x2 + Dynon auto pilot and iPad with Air Nav Pro. Given, this once 172 Reims Rocket is registered as a ZU model, but this setup works great.
IGG-panel.jpg

Return to “Instrument Flying”