ROTEC Jabiru Alternator Upgrade Kit

Australian designed and manufactured Jabiru Aircraft including discussion on the Jabiru aero engine.

Moderator: Moderators

ROTEC Jabiru Alternator Upgrade Kit

Postby jcwCT » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:34 pm

Curious,

Have any of you gents had any experience with ROTEC's Jabiru alternator upgrade kit?

Any downsides other than the USD $695 plus shipping for the kit and an hour of my A&P's time for installation?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Last edited by jcwCT on Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jcwCT
Tripped over wheel chock

Re: ROTEC Jabiru Alternator Upgrade Kit

Postby ZuluBen » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:22 pm

Had a look at that, but at around 10:1 for our currency to the US$, plus steep import taxes and freight charges that works out seriously expensive here...

We use a pretty decent battery, so it gets us airborne without leaving the green on the voltmeter, even when I was running the fuel injection with electric pump and engine management systems.

Trickle charge is a good idea, if you could start up with a fresh full battery, it helps.

Changed to LED lights, keep TX on standby and add a few RPM to taxi whilst holding the brakes a bit helps.
ZuluBen
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet

Postby T4flyer » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:02 am

I like most Jabi owners suffer from low/no charge at low RPM, once the RPM are up I get good voltage, but at idle and low RPM there seems to be bugger all charge! I to considered the Rotec alternator upgrade kit but the cost brought tears to my eyes :cry:

I picked up this simple mod from the Aus Jabiru site which was released on the 20th September. Now if this works as stated it will go a long way to solving our problems (at a cost which will make even me smile! :) ) Apparently after the wiring change you can expect to see 12v at 900 RPM, now I'm no electrical boffin but the mod does make sense and I guess would not be released by Jabiru if it didn't work :wink: I for one will be asking my AMO to do this mod as soon as I get my Jabi's heads back on. (that's another story!)

AVDALSR087-2_12_Pole_Alternator_Mod.pdf
(881.8 KiB) Downloaded 169 times

Cheers, Don
T4flyer
Frequent AvComer

Postby ZuluBen » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:44 pm

Thanks Don, that certainly looks interesting!

Have to wonder why did not do that in the first place? :roll:
ZuluBen
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet

Postby T4flyer » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:21 pm

Hi Ben,

Must say that's been bugging me to :?

Nevertheless, with my very limited knowledge of all things charging related it does seem to make sense. I'm hoping one of our less (than me :oops: ) electrically challenged Avcomers will be able to explain in simple terms (for me again :oops: ) how this mod works?

Cheers, Don.
T4flyer
Frequent AvComer

Postby jcwCT » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:28 pm

THANK YOU DON!

That is a terrific development. Even with Jabiru's caveat that "operators must continue to minimize power use during low RPM operation," looking at the numbers, that upgrade will make a huge difference at a much lower cost than the Rotec kit.
Last edited by jcwCT on Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jcwCT
Tripped over wheel chock

Postby bluboyz » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:14 pm

G'day All,

This 12 pole alternator modification procedure effectively halves the stator conductors' cross sectional area and doubles its' number of turns thereby effectively increasing the maximum voltage and reducing the maximum current output with respect to the rpm range. This may assist with battery charging for those who have high electrical loads during their low rpm operations, although it is limited in its' application.

Another option, that we are considering while rebuilding a Jabiru engine, is to fit a Camit Alternator Kit. (Camit Aero Engines are the manufactures of Jabiru Aircraft Engines, Australia) This alternator kit has, as an option, a modified pulley that can be supplied to retain the original alternator as a backup, if required. Priced at AUD $645, with the currency at around 9.3:1, may be less expensive than some other options. Further information can be found at:- camitaeroengines.myshopify.com/collections/ancillary-parts/alt

Also, off the subject but may be of interest, the Jab 3300 (J430) engine we are rebuilding will be utilising a number after market improved engine replacement components that are manufactured by Camit, and this should see a marked improvement in reliability over the original. camitaeroengines.myshopify.com/pages/new-camit-aero-engines
Will post later results.

Happy Landings

Paul,
bluboyz
Flight Planning

Postby ZuluBen » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:42 pm

Thanks Paul.

Welcome to Avcom! =D>

Ben
ZuluBen
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet

Postby jcwCT » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:42 pm

Paul,

Many thanks for the additional insight into the Jabiru alternator modification as well as the Camit Alternator Kit. And please do keep everyone posted on Camit's efforts to make the Jabiru engine more robust.

As I write this, my A&P is doing my annual and performing the Jabiru alternator modification. I'm excited to see what difference it makes; it's certainly the simplest and most affordable approach.

I also plan to have him install a TOCA (thermostatically controlled oil cooler adapter) that I bought.

John
Last edited by jcwCT on Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jcwCT
Tripped over wheel chock

Postby T4flyer » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:59 am

Hi John,

As its a newly released Mod, I have only been able to find one or two references where the alternator modification has been carried out (all positive so far, but still early days) please let us know how yours turns out. I am definitely thinking of having the mod done on my Jabi.

Cheers, Don.
T4flyer
Frequent AvComer

Postby jcwCT » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:01 pm

Will do.

My A&P is working on my plane today.
Last edited by jcwCT on Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jcwCT
Tripped over wheel chock

Postby T4flyer » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:14 pm

Hi John,

Very interested in the TOCA, often wondered why we don't use some sort of thermostatic oil cooler bypass, after all they have been around for years in the automotive industry. I didn't know there was one specifically made for the Jabiru's. Looking forward to hearing more about that and how it works out.

Cheers, Don.
T4flyer
Frequent AvComer

Postby jcwCT » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:36 pm

I came across the TOCA searching with Google late last March as our winter season was winding down. It's sold by a Jabiru pilot in the UK who has it manufactured in small lots at a local machine shop. His contact information is:

Steve Rance
44 Chalbury Close
Poole
Dorset BH17 8BS
UK
steve-r@ntlworld.com

You can find some discussion threads on the UK Jabiru Owner Message Board http://www.voy.com/16193/ (search for "TOCA"). In addition, I've attached some additional information that the guy who makes it sent me.
Attachments
TOCA -- History, Fitting, Diagram, UK LAA Document.pdf
(508.58 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
Last edited by jcwCT on Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jcwCT
Tripped over wheel chock

Postby T4flyer » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:37 am

Hi John,

Thanks for all the info =D> As I said I looked into thermostatic oil cooler bypasses a few years ago but all I could find was "universal" inline automotive types which were not really suitable because they would have been hard to secure inside the cowl and required an extra 2 oil pipes (twice as many joints to leak!) Now that there are 2 purpose built units for the Jabiru engines I am very interested. I have always believed that the oil temperatures we are running are not conducive of long engine life, I firmly believe an oil temperature of 85-100C is where one needs to be to get the best out of an engine. Covering sections of the oil cooler does work but is difficult to get "just right" and is therefore always a compromise as winter temperatures here can be 2 or 3 degrees when you leave in the morning and 20+ in the afternoon when you are flying back.

I really hope your TOCA works out and really look forward to your feedback.

Cheers, Don.
T4flyer
Frequent AvComer

Postby HappyJabi » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:02 pm

T4flyer wrote:Covering sections of the oil cooler does work but is difficult to get "just right" and is therefore always a compromise as winter temperatures here can be 2 or 3 degrees when you leave in the morning and 20+ in the afternoon when you are flying back.

At the Virginia airshow, Peter (I forgot his AVCOM handle) had his little Jabi on show. He had fitted a cowl flap to the opening in front of the oil cooler which can be opened partially or fully and closed by the pilot. It seemed a simple enough mod and is probably quite effective. I would like to have that done as well.
I live with fear every day, but sometimes she lets me skydive.
HappyJabi
Frequent AvComer

Next

Return to Jabiru