ROTEC Jabiru Alternator Upgrade Kit

Australian designed and manufactured Jabiru Aircraft including discussion on the Jabiru aero engine.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: ROTEC Jabiru Alternator Upgrade Kit

Postby vindog » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:41 pm

Hi Leon,

Yes that cowl flap works very well. In winter when the oil temp stays too low, we close the cowl flap after take off and watch the temp come up slowly. then depending on the ambient, it can be fine tuned to stay around 100 deg. for the duration of the flight. It is articulated by a control similar to the carb heat control. In the summer, its not necessary.

Peter.
vindog
Mags On

Postby HappyJabi » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:36 pm

Two questions. Who fitted it, and how do you disconnect the cable when you have to remove the bottom cowl?
I live with fear every day, but sometimes she lets me skydive.
HappyJabi
Frequent AvComer

Postby vindog » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:50 am

Hi Leon, the previous owner fitted it. The hinge is on the bottom of the vent. The control cable is actuated by one of those types that you push the button in on the centre and then pull the outer button out or push it in as required. Once pressure on the inner button is relased the cable locks in that position. The hwoe thing stays as is for removal of the top cowl. Not sure regarding the removal of the bottom cowl. Will look this weekend.
vindog
Mags On

Postby jcwCT » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:23 pm

Well, my A&P did the alternator upgrade and it's definitely putting out more voltage as promised, but we've got some things to iron out. My plane has the dual screen Garmin G3X EFIS (and EIS). Since doing the upgrade... my tachometer is fluctuating– sometimes multiple times per second – without any throttle input or perceptible change in actual engine RPM ... and at times my voltmeter is reading as high as 18.5 volts.

I've sent emails with supporting data files from the G3X to both Jabiru in Bundaberg and Garmin, but I've haven't heard anything back yet.

Any thoughts?
Last edited by jcwCT on Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jcwCT
Tripped over wheel chock

Postby jetjr » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:56 am

Dynon advise adding resistance (lots) to the pickup from Jabiru ignition system
Have a read through their manual, it does work and removes symptoms your are describing.
jetjr
Flaps set for Take off

Postby jcwCT » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:28 am

Thanks for tip! I really appreciate it. I heard back from Garmin and they weren't very helpful. They basically said that it sounded like a voltage regulation problem and that I should be careful not to fry my avionics.
Last edited by jcwCT on Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jcwCT
Tripped over wheel chock

Postby T4flyer » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:36 am

I am not an electrical boffin but the following springs to mind. Are you only monitoring the voltage on your Garmin's? If so the both problems, the RPM reading fluctuations & the high voltage problem may be solved as described by jetjr.

However, if you have a faulty regulator you could very possibly fry some serious equipment (big $$$) :shock: I would suggest you connect a multi-meter or if you don't have access to one a simple VDO volt meter to your electrical system and check the voltage you see. If you are seeing 18+ volts on your Garmin's and the multi-meter agrees, you have a "real" regulator problem and it needs to be sorted immediately. If on the other hand the Garmin's read 18+ volts, but the multi-meter reads +-14 volts then I would guess the Garmin's readings are wrong and the problem may be sorted as per jetjr's suggestion.

How did you get one with the TOCA, very interested in your feedback on that.

Cheers, Don.
T4flyer
Frequent AvComer

Postby jcwCT » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:11 pm

Hi Don,

I'll ask my A&P whether he has a voltmeter we can attach -- on the ground or in flight. At this point, the over-voltage issue has not arisen on the ground. (OTOH, I haven't had engine above 1800 RPMs on the ground, and that was only as long as it takes to do a pre-takeoff magneto check.) I'm well aware of the risk of frying my avionics. We're hoping to get some guidance from the folks in Bundaberg. If I don't hear from them in the next day or two, I'm going to have my A&P rewire the stator back to in parallel and live with the limitations.
John
Last edited by jcwCT on Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jcwCT
Tripped over wheel chock

Postby jetjr » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:58 am

My suggestion is mainly to do with strange Tacho/RPM behaviour
Variable volts is unusual firstly because voltage measuring equipment is often very reliable. Id be checking real voltage some other way, the regulator is pretty basic type.
Input voltages into reg will be very high, be careful on this side, Im sure its in the maintanance manual how to test this system.
jetjr
Flaps set for Take off

Postby T4flyer » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:16 am

Assuming your Jabi is fitted with a cigarette lighter socket the easiest way to check in flight voltage is to purchase a cigarette lighter type accessory plug from any motor accessory store, wire it to a muti-meter or a volt meter then plug it into the accessory socket of your Jabi, tape it to the instrument panel or just sit it on the passenger seat and start testing :) very simple and if you spend a little time on wiring the plug nicely you can save the set up and do a quick voltage check whenever you feel like it.

Cheers, Don.
T4flyer
Frequent AvComer

Postby jcwCT » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:25 pm

The Jabiru folks in Bundaberg forwarded my request for technical assistance to Jabiru USA, and Jabiru USA contacted me yesterday.

As it turns out, while Jabiru Aircraft Pty in Australia developed and published the alternator modification procedure, they are NOT legally considered the manufacturer of my plane according to the FAA regulations and ASTM standards that pertain to S-SLAs (a.k.a. factory built and certified Light Sport Aircraft here in the U.S.A.) In addition, any modifications to my plane -- no matter how minor -- must be authorized by the manufacturer (Jabiru USA ), and the authorization process is quite involved -- requiring written manufacturer approval, notarized affidavits, written testing procedures, test results, and more -- aka not worth the effort as an individual airplane owner.

Bottom line: Jabiru alternator rewired back to its original configuration.

And no TOCA...
jcwCT
Tripped over wheel chock

Postby T4flyer » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:44 pm

That sucks... :( . So you basically can't do anything to improve your Jabi. I suppose that means you are back to sticking bits of duct tape over the oil cooler :(

Buy yourself a battery saver and keep your battery on trickle charge when your Jabi is parked up, at least you will have a fully charged battery when you get to the airfield.

Now let's you and me talk about that TOCA you now have no use for :wink:

Cheers, Don.
T4flyer
Frequent AvComer

Previous

Return to Jabiru