Rudi's RV7 build progress...Done and Flying

The popular range of RV kitplanes

Moderator: Moderators

George

Re: Rudi's RV7 build progress...Done and Flying

Unread postby George » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:08 pm

RudiGreyling wrote:Hi George/Savas

Building is a huge portion of becoming a RVator as well.
If you miss the building portion you missed "a right of passage" oppertunity he he.. :twisted:
That is why you find a lot of buyers, want to become builders afterwards. Building it exactly how they want it.

Only if you have something else to fly while you are bashing ribbits. Else if usually ends up as incomplete project for sale... Problem I have with building is that due to financial crunch it cheaper to buy a flying example and "convert it" to exactly the way I want it.... RV10 with Dynons etc with 200hrs TTAF for $120K and Ebay saw full glass RV10 go for $135k.... Hard to justify 2000hrs when you see dem numbers, but yes I would like to build one myself.... (but I was not even willing to wait for RC in CT to build me one). Once you have flown an RV it is very hard to "wait" to get your mits on your own....
RudiGreyling
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: The Coves

Unread postby RudiGreyling » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:19 pm

Hi George, we can see who the bean counter is :lol: I told you before it is not all about the $ numbers. Once you have built a RV you will know what I mean. Groete, Rudi.
George

Unread postby George » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:26 pm

RudiGreyling wrote:Hi George, we can see who the bean counter is :lol: I told you before it is not all about the $ numbers. Groete, Rudi.

he he he.

Chom it always about the numbers... Numbers buy fuel and parts. Given the tight budget I have I doubt I ever get chance to build....

PS
Savas
Robin Coss has a 400TTAF RV7 for sale for just over a Bar. I have flown this aerie. NICE.... AND if you have silenty won the LOTTO and not told us about it there is a F1 for R1,7bar. Think RV on steroids.... (but I would go RV10 before I went F1) :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
RudiGreyling
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread postby RudiGreyling » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:02 pm

George wrote:
RudiGreyling wrote:Hi George, we can see who the bean counter is :lol: I told you before it is not all about the $ numbers. Groete, Rudi.

he he he.
Chom it always about the numbers... Numbers buy fuel and parts. Given the tight budget I have I doubt I ever get chance to build....<SNIP>

Hmmm Chom if it is always about the $ numbers, then why did you buy a toolkit and looking for a RV7 kit, instead of buying a flying one? :twisted:

George on RVclubSA wrote:I bit the bullet today and bought an RV toolkit locally after attending Jan’s RV class. I am now chomping at the bit to start ribbitting.... So before I go offshore just want to see if there are perhaps not any RV7 emp (or complete) kits in SA which are gathering dust...Thanks
George

Building gives you something buying can't, you have to do it at least once to fully understand it.

Groete
Rudi
George

Unread postby George » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:35 pm

RudiGreyling wrote:Hmmm Chom if it is always about the $ numbers, then why did you buy a toolkit and looking for a RV7 kit, instead of buying a flying one? :twisted:

You know roughly what I paid for the kit. Was a no brainer. Have been "shopping" for 1 for 3 years :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: . Main reason I bought it, was I am GATVOL of bing stuffed around by the AMO's. I have found a guy who will let me swing the spanners and keep a eagle eye so I don't do anything silly... I would like to redo the panel on my 4 (have all the instruments and the blank), fit a new cowl, modify the battery box, fit instruments and possibly full set of controls to the rear of the -4. etc etc etc... Want to build, just don't want to pay :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Post for the RV7A kit was to test local market and see if anyone GATVOL yet and wanting out - These are usually "better value" esp when they "still in crate from VANS". Be surprised what you can get if you keep ear to the ground. I don't want to reinvent the wheel, I just want to fly... Kids want to go along and a side by sider is more social.

RudiGreyling wrote:Building gives you something buying can't, you have to do it at least once to fully understand it.
Groete
Rudi

Agreed, but I have built a wood & plastic aerie (alone) which was KAK... The alone part not he building part. Only problems I have with building an RV are
R:$
Time (which I don't have much of at moment) - Am empire building for next 5-10 years, then will prob do some more :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

I am secretly hoping my kids will "force" me to build an RV10..... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: , so I got the tool kit just in case....
Jan
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: COVES

Unread postby Jan » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:03 am

There will always be BUILDERS, BUILDER/FLYERS and FLYERS.
As time goes on and your age and purse thickness varies, this can also change.
For years I have been a FLYER dreaming to become a BUILDER.
I am now a BUILDER/FLYER and I like it.
So find your sweet spot and be happy :D
Flying is about discipline!
AP325, AMO 1256
Operating as RV Manufacturing
George

Unread postby George » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:56 am

he he he. i am just yanking Rudi's chain. I am def in the flyer category, dreaming of beeing in the builder/flyer category. Am sure as soon as my kids trade me for mall, chicks/guys, etc I will have plenty spare time and will become one of said Builder/flyers....
RudiGreyling
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Air Racing and Nylstroom Breakfast

Unread postby RudiGreyling » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:45 pm

Hi Rvators,

Long time no update to this, but I am still enjoying RV Zulu 7.

This weekend I took her to the air race practice and then we explored the area north of Rustenburg, Tabazimbi, Waterberg and Nylstroom. Took my lovely wife with, and she thoroughly enjoyed it.

The Air Race:
I have never taken part in one. Did not know what to expect, but I was great!
We came 4th and my little RV surprised me. It is a straight forward standard no fancy Fixed Pitch side be side RV.
The Dataloger Reported a RealTime speed of 172.7 knots, with a course average of 168 Knots. Fuel burn was +/- 50 Liters per hour at these speeds ROP +/- 80% Power. Taking into account this was at altitude where we loose +/-20% HP not bad at all for a versatile home build aerie.

After the race we went site seeing, Sun City, Thabazimbi, Waterberg to Nylstroom. There are some Beautiful scenery out that way. Below is Sun City, the parking are was bit empty…

It is such a nice area to fly in, until you see what the mining companies are doing to the hills at Thabazimbi

We landed and overnighted at Nylstroom. Big Thank you to Richard who was a fantastic host. Next morning we were the first Aerie there for Breakfast fly in ;-)

Compared to the air race on the other side of the envelope, the picture below is during economical cruise:
162 MPH IAS = 185 MPH TAS ~ 160.7 Knots at 30 Liters an Hour LOP 65% power.
You can see that those extra 12 Knots of speed between Economical Cruise and Flat Out Racing comes at a hefty fuel burn of +/- 20 Liters per hour more!

I Love my RV,
Groete
Rudi
Steve
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: Wings Park

Unread postby Steve » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:02 pm

Rudi, I'm surprised to see you cruise at 2600 RPM.. I keep mine at 2450 rpm in the cruise....
Steve Onions

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein
RudiGreyling
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Altitude

Unread postby RudiGreyling » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:24 pm

Steve Onions wrote:Rudi, I'm surprised to see you cruise at 2600 RPM.. I keep mine at 2450 rpm in the cruise....

Hi Steve,

It is Called Altitude Compensation on a Fixed Pitch :twisted:
Check the Altitude = 7120ft and Density Altitude = 9070 ft
RPM = 2600 but MAP is only = 23.6 AND I am only producing 65% HP (2/3 power).
So there is NO WAY that the engine is straining at all, and still below Redline of 2700 RPM.

They only way to get the Performance out of Fixed Pitch at Altitude is to turn it Faster.
But KNOW your engine Parameters and Graphs! Having a full Efis helps a lot to know where you are running the engine.

Regards
Rudi
Steve
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: Wings Park

Unread postby Steve » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:29 pm

Rudi, what prop are you using? You are getting very good performance figures...
Steve Onions

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein
RudiGreyling
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread postby RudiGreyling » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:28 pm

Steve Onions wrote:Rudi, what prop are you using? You are getting very good performance figures...

Hi Steve, Thank you for the nice compliment. :oops:

I am using the Stock Standard Sensenich Fixed Pitch Prop that Vans Spec for a RV7 180HP: 72FM8S9-1(85) = A 72" diameter with an 85" pitch.
The Motor is a stock standard XP-IO-360 vertical induction, with standard Slick Mags. The airframe is also stock standard as supplied by Vans.

The Air Race practice over the weekend was the fist time I really had a chance to see for real what it does Balls to the Wall for a +/- 100NM duration, and then how it stacks up compared to other airframes during the exact same conditions. It gives me immense builder’s pride to know it is built right. :mrgreen:

One don’t have to do anything special to get good performance. I post these pages to try and inspire others also to build a fantastic airplane. A Total Performance airplane like Vans say, that covers a lot of areas very well, good speed, good luggage capacity, good take-off, good range, good aerobatics. If I as a first time builder can do it, than anyone can do it. (Contrary to some online believes, it is not to blow my own horn, if it seems that way let me know and I will stop posting updates)

The Romance of Building and Flying a Fantastic Airplane is a Reality for anyone. If I can, then anyone can. :P

Kind Regards
Rudi
ColdFingers
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: FADU Walkersons

Unread postby ColdFingers » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:54 pm

RudiGreyling wrote:
Steve Onions wrote:Rudi, what prop are you using? You are getting very good performance figures...

Hi Steve, Thank you for the nice compliment. :oops:

I am using the Stock Standard Sensenich Fixed Pitch Prop that Vans Spec for a RV7 180HP: 72FM8S9-1(85) = A 72" diameter with an 85" pitch.
The Motor is a stock standard XP-IO-360 vertical induction, with standard Slick Mags. The airframe is also stock standard as supplied by Vans.

The Air Race practice over the weekend was the fist time I really had a chance to see for real what it does Balls to the Wall for a +/- 100NM duration, and then how it stacks up compared to other airframes during the exact same conditions. It gives me immense builder’s pride to know it is built right. :mrgreen:

One don’t have to do anything special to get good performance. I post these pages to try and inspire others also to build a fantastic airplane. A Total Performance airplane like Vans say, that covers a lot of areas very well, good speed, good luggage capacity, good take-off, good range, good aerobatics. If I as a first time builder can do it, than anyone can do it. (Contrary to some online believes, it is not to blow my own horn, if it seems that way let me know and I will stop posting updates)

The Romance of Building and Flying a Fantastic Airplane is a Reality for anyone. If I can, then anyone can. :P

Kind Regards
Rudi

Rudi, Don't even think of it. I don't know what I will do without my weekly fix. My wife is hooked on eGoli, I "watch" your weekly episodes. Keep it going.Much appreciated.
Andy Mills
I'm supposed to respect my elders, but its getting harder and harder for me to find one now.
RudiGreyling
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Easy Share your GPS Tracks Online

Unread postby RudiGreyling » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:50 am

Hi RVators,

Sias a good friend, launced a website to share your GPS tracks easily with friends and family.
I uploaded my Track of my Round the country trip in December last year 2008.
Feel free to go have a look, it is for ZU-LUZ split up in Day 1 to 4.
You can even play the route back, under options in the map.
Enjoy and share your own trips!

http://www.vfrplanner.org/app/nav/tracklog/public_tracklogs.htm

Kind Regards
Rudi
RudiGreyling
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Kitty Hawk

Unread postby RudiGreyling » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:37 pm

RVators,

I went out to kitty hawk to get some aeros instruction and while I waited for instructor, nothing to do, I took a couple of pictures of my handy work with my Nokia Cell Phone. I liked this picture so I am sharing it...from low on the grass it almost looks like an RC model instead of a real airplane :mrgreen:

Groete
Rudi

Return to “Van's Aircraft”