Jab J200 ZU-TTB
RudiGreyling
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: The Coves

Re: Rudi's RV7 build progress...Done and Flying

Unread postby RudiGreyling » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:05 pm

Pietb wrote:Werk jy ook ? :D :lol:

My baas het dieselfde ding van oggend gevra toe hy my die eerste keer in 2 weke sien... :mrgreen:
RudiGreyling
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

DESTINATION 3

Unread postby RudiGreyling » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:41 pm

DESTINATION 3: SWAKOPMUND
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swakopmund
Swakopmund City (German for "Mouth of the Swakop") is a city on the Atlantic coast of northwestern Namibia, 280 km (175 miles) west of Windhoek, Namibia's capital. As a seaside resort, the weather is cooler here in December to January (Namibia's summer months). Swakopmund is a beach resort and an example of German colonial architecture. It was founded in 1892 as the main harbour for German South-West Africa.

Flight day 3:
FYMO - FYSM
The flight from Mokuti to Swakopmund was smooth and over real desert! We got the chance to take some in flight formation pictures.

Wingman

Who’s taking pictures of who?

Some of the terrain we encountered en route

The Swakopmund airport on finals, you can see the sea fog just on the outskirts of the airfield.

Refuel with some palm trees in the desert…

Then park in the sand

Some of the German Architecture in this little tourist town

Then a beautiful west coast sun set.

More...
Last edited by RudiGreyling on Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RudiGreyling
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread postby RudiGreyling » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:42 pm

...The next morning we went on a living desert tour, to find wonderfull desert creatures, this was one of the vehicles…

…that took us into this terrain…

Our first desert creature a burrowing lizard without legs

A small chameleon caught in the action

A small shiny lizard with a bite grip like a bull dog, he never lets go

A new ear ornament for my wife

A lizard that hides in the sand, with a transparent skin, you can see his organs and bone structure

A Bigger chameleon

A Sidewinder snake

Sandbording anyone?

The next day we set back for home flying over some interesting territory

All in all a worthy trip, Namibia is an unforgettable place, I will be back. But definitely by air, since by road will take for ever.

I love my RV.
Groete
Rudi
cobra
Straight and Level
Closest Airfield: FAAB

Unread postby cobra » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:06 pm

Baie nice fotos Rudi =D>
cvh.

Unread postby cvh. » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:53 pm

Brilliant!

thanks!
RudiGreyling
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Air Safari to Kariba AND Durban Airshow

Unread postby RudiGreyling » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:11 am

Hi Gents,

As inspiration to other, current and wanna-be builders I have two more things to report:

1) I went on a Air Safari with a group of new friends to Kariba, Vic Falls and Caprivi.
One leg for instance Polokwane to Livingstone (Vic Falls) around ZIM at FL105 we only used 78 liters of Mogas for the 470NM trip in less than 3 hours. Try that in your car or certified spam can :twisted:

Here are the best 3 pictures of the trip:
Nice in Flight ZU-LUZ.jpg

Vic Falls:
vic_falls_01.jpg

vic_falls_02.jpg

2) This past Saturday we flew to the Durban Airshow:
- Springs (JHB) to Virgina (Durban) (FL115 Downhill with tailwind) 1H30 Take-off to Land time and 42 liters of mogas.
- Virginia to Springs (FL105 Uphill with headwind) 1H50 Take-off to Land and 52 liters of mogas.

My little RV keeps amazing me almost every flight with the speed and economics it can take 2 people and a weeks worth of luggage around the sky.
It is a seriuos Jack of Trades, like Vans says "Total Performance", but a not master of one specific category....I love my RV :mrgreen: :twisted:

Groete
Rudi
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RudiGreyling
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

One year and Counting

Unread postby RudiGreyling » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:17 am

1 YEAR flying and counting
Can you believe it? RV Zulu is now 1 year old, and it still an amazing little airplane.

I did my ATF in the middle of August, did my own Annual inspection! (I did it over 3 weekends, and the airplane was not out of service!)
Remember Owner Builder of Amateur build aircraft NTCA, NON commercial can do their own Annuals on their specific build and registered airplane only.

I haven't found any big snags so far, the only complaint is VANS airfilter box design and Emergency Carb air intake (Not the carb heat) hatch. I had to fiddle with it now 3 times during this last year to get that combo right. Other than that it was only a pleasure to own a VANS RV.

I now have 170 hours on the hobbs, Blow by's are 79,78,76,78 over 80 PSI. I run MOGAS and LOP most of the times. So it is working for me.

So far so Good! My RV really keeps my passion and romance for flying alive!
I love my RV :wink: :twisted: !

Recent RV Flips
I keep on giving back to the hobby and below are a couple of my recent RV flips!

Pierre a well known AP, he looks seriuos but is avery nice guy!
RV Flipping Pax #24

My little Daughter's first flip: Story Here http://www.avcom.co.za/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=51852
RV Flipping Pax #25

Then the most recent was a Helgard who has about 4,000 hours with SAAirlink or Express.
I think his smile says it all, he enjoyed flying piston sport aircraft again.
RV Flipping Pax #26

I still Believe an RV is an Awesome all round airplane, let us see how the next year goes.
I'll keep you posted.

Groete
Rudi
Last edited by RudiGreyling on Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JacoP

Unread postby JacoP » Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:19 pm

Thank you Rudi!

You have an immaculate machine! She flies well and handles like a dream.. I now know why you are so proud... You have every right to be. :D :D
RudiGreyling
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread postby RudiGreyling » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:28 am

JacoP wrote:Thank you Rudi!

You have an immaculate machine! She flies well and handles like a dream.. I now know why you are so proud... You have every right to be. :D :D

Jaco it was my pleasure, here is your in flight photo. RV Flipping Pax #27
Last edited by RudiGreyling on Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cvh.

Unread postby cvh. » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:24 am

Awesome topic!
RudiGreyling
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Numbi 2009 Part 1 of 2

Unread postby RudiGreyling » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:35 pm

Well it was time for another trip…destination Hazzyview, Numbi Hotel for the Microlight African Cup.

Every year the microlighters meet here and have a big jol, and the flying and comradery is awesome, hotel Numbi take out all the stops to make us feel at home. Ja I know the RV ZULU 7 is not a microlight, but the challenge to land on the Numbi strip and be with old friends made the trip worth while.

Friday morning I phone Met JHB, the VFR report I got was shocking…If I listened to the lady I would not even go out the house, what she told me and what my own internet WX report showed conflicted, so I phoned Met PE, much better and accurate report. I had a two hour window for my flight out of JHB, and a 4 hour window for the lowveld. My flight was only going to take 1:15 so I was good to go…

We flew with weather pushing in from the north (dark on our left) but never got close to it. The sunlight played nice effects with beams through the middle clouds, but the picture did not come out that great. Approaching the Lydenberg Origstad valley.

I don’t know who was on duty at ATC Hoedspruit on Friday morning, but what a wonderful experience. As I approached his airspace he called me over to Hoedspruit frequency from the Lowveld frequency (Lowveld was not manned since it was before 8am). He had one look at my flight plan and asked…
Hoedspruit ATC: ”LUZ from your flightplan I assume you want to fly the Blydepoort valley?”
Me: “Affirm”...enough said, this ATC knew I was here for the sight seeing!
ATC: “Cleared for the valley report exiting Blydepoort Canyon, enjoy!”

We descended and flew along the Lydenberg, Origstad valley into the Blydepoort canyon. We stayed slight higher than the surrounding hills. A beautiful sight below overcast conditions, pitty for the pictures though.

We excited the Blydepoort canyon and flew all along the escarpment edge. I stayed 50-100 meters of the edge and bobbing and weaving the responsive RV following the outline of the escarpment from Blydepoort, pass God’s window, Grasskop to Sabie. The weather was perfect. The escarpment close on the right, but to the left 1,000 to 4,000 foot drop into the low veld should anything happen while cruising along the edge.

We flew over a couple of the waterfalls in the area.

At Sabie we flew down the Sabie river valley to Numbi. The numbi strip is +/- 800 meters long. For a fast and sleek aircraft it is a one way in and one way out, due to the hill on the southern side. If you come in over the hill and push the nose down in the RV you are going to float the whole runway, so it can’t be done from that side. The runway also has a dip in the middle, so both sides start downhill, bottom out and then go uphill. From the north you have 1 chance to put it down and you are commited. With absolute good technique and early go around the RV has enough power and climb (compared to spam cans) to abort if I stuffed it up during the first 100meter of the downhill. This is what I was here for, the challenge of a tricky runway. Forget the notorious Kitty Hawk the Gautengers talk about :twisted: . I practiced the whole month at home. Gone are the long straight runways of Gauteng, now it is just me and this one…

I committed to long finals with a flat approach, (I did not want to come in steep and then balloon along the down hill). You come in over a shopping center for finals. I did not take any notice of it, but my wife caught it in the pictures. It was just me, the aircraft and the treshold of the runway..

The runway edge is on an embankment, and you want to hit the beginning of it, just over the fence, cuase it runs downhill for a while...

I hit the airspeed numbers perfect, 5 miles slower than my typical approach; this is going to be a short field landing, with only 10 mph margin to the stall. (Typical is 70mph over the fence, today its 65 with the stall full flaps at 55). Slight Crosswind from the left, good since it is not over the trees and hangars from the right. I get over the fence just right and close the throttle completely. My fixed pitch RV with a cruise prop, does not create a breaking effect like the constant speed units do, so with the downhill runway I still float another 100meters before the wheels touch down. The angle of attack and stall buzzer bleats in my ear for the last 50 meters as I float 3 point attitude 1 foot above the ground all downhill. It’s a tailwheel greaser of a 3 point landing, but the runway is bumpy, a bit of footwork and we are tracking straight in the middle of the runway, compensating for the bumps that want to set us off course.

The uphill part of the runway comes into effect and I did not even have to use brakes. The RV comes close to a standstill 200 meters before the end. Shoe I think to myself, I did it. Well done my wife says. That was simple enough I thought and the anticipation of a new short runway is gone. My RV did well. The rest of the flights in and out of Numbi were a non event ;-) I guess once you’ve done it it becomes easier.

We taxi up into the hotel Numbi grounds and tie down with the other microlights.

The next day we did some Sight Seeing, I’ll post some pictures soon, in a new post.

Groete
Rudi
Last edited by RudiGreyling on Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Theuns v V
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Closest Airfield: Rand

Unread postby Theuns v V » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:06 pm

I have also not realy noticed the "details" while on final to land there , but JISLAAIK that looks low over the mall! :shock:

I understand that my Super cub has slightly more drag than your RV though :lol: That's why come in a little steeper.

Well done =D>

But yes that is an interesting field :D

Theuns
RudiGreyling
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread postby RudiGreyling » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:30 pm

T. van Vuuren wrote:I have also not realy noticed the "details" while on final to land there , but JISLAAIK that looks low over the mall! :shock:

I understand that my Super cub has slightly more drag than your RV though :lol: That's why come in a little steeper.

Well done =D>

But yes that is an interesting field :D

Theuns

Hi Theuns,
Super Cup slightly more drag than a RV :twisted: :lol: :mrgreen: :P , jip looking at the pictures afterwards you don't want the motor to go hick-up here on finals, otherwise you are going to park inside the Pick'n'Pay. I guess the more you practise on this field the better your approach becomes. But this was my first one, I did not want to take any chances or scew it up, so I dragged her in and landed early. You can see I had 200meters to spare in the end, but this was only known after you do the first one. (If the wind is from behind that 200meters is going to dissapate very quickly in a slick aircraft)
Groete
Rudi
RudiGreyling
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

PART 2 of 2

Unread postby RudiGreyling » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:43 pm

PART 2 of 2
=========

The next day was site seeing day. We got airborne under overcast conditions. We traveled all along the Kruger National Park border fence http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kruger_National_Park going south, looking for wild life. We took care not to enter the park at all because we were low level, and low level flights over the park are prohibited. I settled in on a slow 110 MPH cruise to appreciate the scenery looking for wild life.

We first saw a small herd of African buffalo: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_buffalo

Then we saw a small herd of elephant.

Then we saw a big herd of blue wildebeest: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_wildebeest

We also saw a lonely rhino, but my wife was not quick enough on the camera to get a picture of it.

We left the Kruger National Park and traveled around Kaapmuiden http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaapmuiden along the National N4 highway following the valley west to Baberton http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baberton,_Mpumalanga

An old arch bridge marks the entrance to the valley

The valley has many pretty lush green farms

Turning around one hill the reminiscent of South African Mining Industry Scars this beautiful lands

We flew over Baberton Bush Air Strip

And over Pyramid Air Strip

And over Nelspruit Airport

We took a turn around the stadium being erected for the soccer 2010 festival. The orange cranes are suppose to reminiscent modern day art Giraffe animals.

We flew along a couple of small dams on our way back to Numbi airfield

And then close to ‘home’ we took a picture of a fellow microlight friend in the sky.

This 2 day trip is exactly what the docter ordered for R&R, beautiful sites, fantastic flying…

Groete
Rudi

Return to “Van's Aircraft”