The popular range of RV kitplanes

Moderator: Moderators

RudiGreyling
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: The Coves

Re: Rudi's RV7 build progress...Done and Flying

Unread postby RudiGreyling » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:14 pm

cvh wrote:... so why do we have to wait??? :-)

Cause I am at work with my cell phone so it was easy to post the cell pics, the canon camera is at home hence can't download... :evil: :twisted:
RudiGreyling
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread postby RudiGreyling » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:24 pm

Pheonix137 wrote:Very nice! Thanks for sharing! This is all the motivation one needs to start building an RV!
I am very impressed with the luggage compartment in the RV, seeing it in use puts it in perspective.

200 hours on the hobbs, any major maintenance issues crept up yet, or just the normal wear and tear?

Cheers!
Dennis

Dennis, that is why I post it, to motivate others like you :wink: and to try and win some more over to the NTCA build side....

The RV is a pleasure to own and maintain. The only issue so far with mine was the Vans Airbox it is a known weakness.

1) The little alternate air door pulls the rivets out the fiberglass due to vibration. I fitted an aluminium ring inside to sandwich the fiberglass and support the rivets better.
2) My top airbox plate also developed cracks.

So bottom line make your Airbox stronger from day 1.

Groete,
Rudi
cx45338
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: Rand Airport

Unread postby cx45338 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:57 pm

Rudi,

It was an absolute pleasure having you and Anel there. Your timing with the weather was perfect. For about 2 days after you left, there were no mountains visible and I thought you might have taken them with you :).

Thanks again for the scenic flips up & down the coast, it really looks different from the air. Just a pitty the Flamingo wasn't there :(

You said that you had a bit of a "bumpy" ride on your way down crossing the Karoo in the afternoon, but if you had to fly back yesterday when I drove back, your flight down would have been a Sunday School Picnic. At 09:00 yesterday near Humansdorp, the temp was 40C and after crossing the first mountain range outside Uitenhage, varying between 42C and 43C all the way to Graaff-Reinet. It would have been pretty uncomfortable that "early" in the morning (you know for me, that is VERY early).

May you have many more safe flying hours in your RV(s).
Life is so tough, I've yet to come accross anybody who has come out alive on the other side.
PJL
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Closest Airfield: Barberon and Pyramid

Unread postby PJL » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:53 pm

Rudi, it was great to catch up with you at Plett =D> =D>
Your pics are stunning.
.............................now when are we going down again.............................(sigh)

PJL
To invent an airplane is nothing. To build one is something. To fly it is everything. — Otto Lilienthal

"When once you have tasted flight,
you will forever walk the earth
with your eyes turned skywards."
― Leonardo da Vinci
RudiGreyling
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread postby RudiGreyling » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:00 am

cx45338 wrote:Rudi,

It was an absolute pleasure having you and Anel there. Your timing with the weather was perfect. For about 2 days after you left, there were no mountains visible and I thought you might have taken them with you :).

Thanks again for the scenic flips up & down the coast, it really looks different from the air. Just a pitty the Flamingo wasn't there :(

You said that you had a bit of a "bumpy" ride on your way down crossing the Karoo in the afternoon, but if you had to fly back yesterday when I drove back, your flight down would have been a Sunday School Picnic. At 09:00 yesterday near Humansdorp, the temp was 40C and after crossing the first mountain range outside Uitenhage, varying between 42C and 43C all the way to Graaff-Reinet. It would have been pretty uncomfortable that "early" in the morning (you know for me, that is VERY early).

May you have many more safe flying hours in your RV(s).

Hi Hentie,

Thank YOU, and it was Pleasure!

Rudi
RudiGreyling
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread postby RudiGreyling » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:01 am

PJL wrote:Rudi, it was great to catch up with you at Plett =D> =D>
Your pics are stunning.
.............................now when are we going down again.............................(sigh)

PJL

PJL, Ag ja jong, I've been back at work 5 days already and wish I was down there again... :twisted: Rudi

PS: More pictures still coming later...
Last edited by RudiGreyling on Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
RudiGreyling
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread postby RudiGreyling » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:03 am

RV Flipping PAX #36

Bennie is thinking of building an RV. He got his first RV ride on Saturday.
I think the smile afterwards says it all, the decision is made...

Rudi
RudiGreyling
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread postby RudiGreyling » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:55 am

The last four pictures of the plet trip:

Beacon Isle

Stanley Island (over cast and lost of windshield reflections sorry :evil: )

A Caravan park almost in the sea!

A N2 highway bridge close to George

Rudi
PJL
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Closest Airfield: Barberon and Pyramid

Unread postby PJL » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:37 pm

Kaaimans River Bridge.

PJL
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
To invent an airplane is nothing. To build one is something. To fly it is everything. — Otto Lilienthal

"When once you have tasted flight,
you will forever walk the earth
with your eyes turned skywards."
― Leonardo da Vinci
bennie
Lining Up
Closest Airfield: FAWK

Unread postby bennie » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:17 pm

RudiGreyling wrote:RV Flipping PAX #36

Bennie is thinking of building an RV. He got his first RV ride on Saturday.
I think the smile afterwards says it all, the decision is made...

Rudi

Rudi, thank you for the informative and exiting morning. Life, they say, is about making memories - this was a good one for me! I actually had second thoughts about the RV-12 after the flight, but al things considered, I am on the right track!!

Bennie
jurik
Reaching GFA

Unread postby jurik » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:56 am

HI Rudi

I cant wait to enjoy my RV as much as you do. Four more hours left on my proving flight authority :D .

I see in the pics above that you are using those black sun shades on your canopy. I have heard that the black rubber suction cups sticking to the canopy deforms the plexy and I am therefore hesitant to use them. How long have you used them and have you seen any effects yet? Are there any other owners out there who can share their experiences regarding these shades?

Regards
Juri Keyter
RudiGreyling
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread postby RudiGreyling » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:05 am

jurik wrote:<SNIP>
I see in the pics above that you are using those black sun shades on your canopy. I have heard that the black rubber suction cups sticking to the canopy deforms the plexy and I am therefore hesitant to use them. How long have you used them and have you seen any effects yet? Are there any other owners out there who can share their experiences regarding these shades?

Regards

Hmm, more than a year, but I find it is the other way around. Suction cup is 0.1 mm thick, plexi is 2mm thick, who do you think is going to deform?

The round plexi deforms the black suction cup and then after a while they dont want to stick anymore and you need to buy new suction cups.
The inside inverted curve plexi means the suction cups bend more back than on a ussual flat window.
But They are cheap at Midas, Builders wharehouse. I think it is R40 for a pair of shades. I throw the shades away and re-use the cups on existing :wink:

PS: Nice is that you can put them any place where the sun bugs you.

Rudi
BalsaPilot

Unread postby BalsaPilot » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:40 am

Hey Rudi

I see you have the AvMap EKP IV in your RV! I would like to have your opinion on it, as my dad is very intrested! And also a price range that we should be expecting to pay would be much appreciated! PLEASE

Ciao JP
RudiGreyling
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread postby RudiGreyling » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:22 am

BalsaPilot wrote:Hey Rudi

I see you have the AvMap EKP IV in your RV! I would like to have your opinion on it, as my dad is very intrested! And also a price range that we should be expecting to pay would be much appreciated! PLEASE

Ciao JP

Hmm, not as good as an equivallently sized screen garmin i.e 695, but at $1,000 dollars less it matched my panel layout good and I am happy.
RudiGreyling
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

RV Flipping PAX 37

Unread postby RudiGreyling » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:31 pm

RV Flipping PAX #37

Justin wants to build a RV7. He got his first RV ride on Saturday. I think the smile says it...

We took a flip around the vaal dam, to look at all the water after all the rain. We aslo flew all along the Vaal river to Parys. Some places got flooded bad.

Rudi

Return to “Van's Aircraft”