Aviation chatter - For ALL Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts

Moderator: Moderators

Achim
Rolling
Closest Airfield: Gauteng

Stemme S10V Touring SA. Orient to Cape Town and Back

Unread postby Achim » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:48 pm

Part 1

At the end of September 2015 I had a few days to enjoy my Stemme.

I am based at Magalies Gliding Club, Orient airfield near Johannesburg. I have for planned the trip to Cape Town, and specifically over the Karoo and down the West Coast in my head for many years, looking at posts on Avcom, studying the maps and dreaming of this trip.

I Filled up with Avgas at Orient on Thursday morning, setting off to Calvinia. My initial idea was to take off around 9AM, motor to the vicinity of Kimberley, switch the motor off and do some cross country soaring to land before sunset in Calvinia. My weather report had predicted a tail wind of 20 Km/h, this turned out to be a westerly wind of 40 Km/h, almost directly on the nose.

It quickly became clear that reaching Calvinia would require the motor all the way, I had a number of options and chose Kimberley as refuelling stop. My first landing at such a big airport, runway is 50m wide and 3 Km long, took forever to taxi to the fuel bay… Arranged for the fuel truck and talked to the very friendly ground & Fuel staff and ATC.
Took off from Kimberley at around mid day, very thermic (that what we glider pilots call turbulence), had my hands full staying on the altitude the ATC gave me. 23m wingspan just wants to go up in these conditions.

Pretty straightforward flight to Calvinia, flew over Douglas, Prieska, Copperton and a number of smaller towns looking at all the available airfields.
The head wind added around an hour to this flight and I landed just after 5PM. Tied down and secured the aircraft.

I had arranged accommodation at the Calvinia Hotel, the friendly staff picked me up and took me to the Hotel.

The next morning after breakfast I was taken to the airfield. Checked the aircraft, prefight and departed.

My plan was to fly over Nieuwoudtsville, then to Vredendal to refuel with Avgas. After arriving over Nieuwoudtsville, I realised that I had taken off to early and there was cloud cover over the complete low lying West Coast, Vredendal looked like it was under 8/8 cloud cover. No problem in a Stemme, I switch the motor off and loitered on the ridge for 30 to 40 minutes as I could see the clouds were lifting. Not long, I could see Van Rhynsdoop and then Vredendal. Landed, first at the wrong airfield, then at Old Vredendal to refuel.

End of Part 1

Happy flying
Achim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Achim
Rolling

Re: Stemme S10V Touring SA. Orient to Cape Town and Back

Unread postby Achim » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:53 pm

Part 2

After refuelling I phoned Langebaan AFB ATC to let them know of my intentions. I set off to Saldanha, via the Atlantic coast line, joined the coast just north of Lambertsbay, flew south to Dwarskersbos, all under 1500 ft to remain clear of the Langebaan Air force base’s area. I made contact with the friendly ATC at Langebaan AFB and got approval to continue via the coast to Saldanha Airfield. Flew via Paternoster where we have a holiday home and landed at Saldanha.

After a friendly chat and some Coffee with Johan at Saldanha I departed for Morning Star airfield. To comply with the Langebaan ATC I flew inland, avoiding the Langebaan Lagoon Nature reserve. South of Koeberg I could again follow the coast for a short while to north of Blouberg Strand area and then I turned inland for Morning Star. Uneventful landing with a 20 Km/h cross wind.
Arranged for some Avgas, bit of a problem, with the 23m wingspan, the Stemme can’t go to the fuel bay! Many thanks to all the friendly guys at Morning Star, Len and Richard, Mark/Mike :D  who helped me to refuel, tie down and even offered hangar space for the night.

Spent the night in Blouberg, the next morning the Cape weather threw me a curved ball, howling South Wester, 8/8 low cloud cover. My first thought was to start arranging for a Hangar and fly back to Joburg commercial, I had breakfast at Morning Star, and after some time the skies started looking friendlier.

Anyway, at around mid-day, the local clouds were broken at 1500 ft and I could clearly see the Ceres Mountains were open, I took off, the South Western was still howling, but it was straight on the runway which made me very comfortable as the runway is only 800m long and there are tall Blue gum trees 200m from the end of the runway.
Take off was no problem, headed for Voelvlei Dam, then to Ceres via Gouda. I did a few turns in a thermal and my Gliding computer computed the wind aloft to be about 6-8 Km/h. Beautiful day, nice visibility and very little wind, go for the Ceres pass.

End of Part 2
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Achim
Rolling

Unread postby Achim » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:56 pm

Part 3

From Ceres I tracked Sutherland, there was some storm activity and it was a bumpy ride. After Sutherland my destination was Carnarvon. Landed at just after 5PM, called the local hotel, they picked me up. Soon a bakkie turned up, Rob, a flying club member had seen me land and came to have a chat. The Hotel in Carnarvon amazed me, very nice for such a small Karoo town.
Next morning early, I arrange Avgas at the local Flying Club, refuelled and after a chat to some more friendly Flying club members, took off for Orient . Landed at Orient at around 4PM.

In total I flew 23.5 Hrs, (only 3 were unpowered), use 220l of Fuel, round about 11 l/hr over 4 flying days.

What did I learn, next time have a few extra days to see more places, get more contacts at airfields, check the weather.

Happy Flying

Achim
stheeman
Forgot to remove the chocks!
Closest Airfield: FAGC

Unread postby stheeman » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:26 pm

Very nice Achim!

Makes me think I should do the same... (Won't be in a Stemme though!).

H.
driftwood
Reaching altitude

Unread postby driftwood » Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:25 am

Wow what an amazing trip! You have some beautiful photos there!
Cornell Blok
Six Tousand
Six Tousand

Unread postby Cornell Blok » Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:45 am

=D> =D>
Petrol attendant in Training/Car Wash Supervisor

http://www.travelairva.com
RogerRoger
Frequent AvComer

Unread postby RogerRoger » Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:48 am

great photos of a fantastic trip. Thanks for sharing!
wear the fox hat.
mic
Fuelling up
Closest Airfield: morningstar

Unread postby mic » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:48 am

Agshame, its MIKE not mark :evil: :)
on finals ? dont pick nose.
homebuilt
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: FAEL

Unread postby homebuilt » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:41 am

Achim, looks like you had a ball. Thanks for sharing and great photos.
JCA
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Krugersdorp

Unread postby JCA » Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:09 pm

Quite Simply Achim, Stunning! :mrgreen:
winona
Incipient Spin
Closest Airfield: fAKR

Unread postby winona » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:04 am

Fantastic!
spend your time living!
rudolphschar
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Howick

Unread postby rudolphschar » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:02 pm

WOW! Makes me jealous! I would love to do that one day.
Rudolph Scharneck

Pilot in training aviation nut. I am now even more eager to learn anything more I can about aviation.

The problem is not the problem, the problem is your attitude about the problem.
okflyer
Incorrect Read back of ATC clearance
Closest Airfield: EDFZ

Unread postby okflyer » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:04 pm

@Achim, =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> Lekker man. Thx for sharing. I would love to fly a Stemme. Echt toll !!
To invent an airplane is nothing. To build one is something. But to fly is everything.
Achim
Rolling

Unread postby Achim » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:49 am

Hi Guys

Thanks for the comments.

Hey Mark, just pulling your leg :D At least I know you read the text!

Until Next time

Achim

Return to “General Aviation Chatter”