PPL Study Advice Needed

Aviation chatter - For ALL Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts

Moderator: Moderators

Mustang
ATC Delay
Closest Airfield: FATP

Re: PPL Study Advice Needed

Unread post by Mustang » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:55 pm

In general... it is just shocking to think some people want to get a Pilot license but the first questions being asked is how to study for it or what mock exams to use. Student pilots have come to the point where they want to take the easiest way out to finish the exams as soon as possible. Yes, I also used Fox 1 and Questionbank for Nav but it was to find out what I do not know, not to just learn questions and answers.

There is no replacement for sitting down with the study material in the evening, early mornings and on weekends with a note pad to practice the aviation maths and writing down what one can remember about the exact path blood flows through the heart and lungs and drawing the eyes and learning what the cones and rods are doing. My HP book especially looks like a christmas tree from all the highlighted important stuff and words.

You have to make time to get a Pilot license... if it is a passion you will take time to answer the questions in the study material and you will draw pictures with descriptions and practice the math on a note pad.

I had 19 year olds sitting next to me in the exam room saying that they just came to see if they would be lucky to pass the exam that day. Needless to say some did not finish after spending their fathers money flying choppers for hours but not finishing all their exams because they thought studying only mock exams was the easy way out. I do not think it is nice to one day being told that you cannot fly any more because your exams are not finished or your 18 months exam period has expired.

At age 42 I had to first learn to sit down again to study... but I also told myself that the learning phase is the means to an end and I in the end of the day enjoyed to study almost as much as the flying itself.

Get your mind straight, your eyes in the books with some highlighters, your pen on a note pad with a calculator and whizz wheel close by and the material will get into your head if you rather enjoy it to be part of your flying career.

Edit: Almost forgot. Learn how to use the whizz wheel properly early on because you won't have time in the exams to learn how to use it there.
Last edited by Mustang on Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Aviation is a passion towards greater achievement in life!" - Julius Klokow (Mustang)
cmacm
Engine Cranking
Closest Airfield: Grand central

Unread post by cmacm » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:58 pm

Firstly good luck and make sure you enjoy this part of the journey . I think especially with principals of flight it is important to understand what you are learning more then memory and I would suggest you ask your instructor to clarify any points that you are struggling to grasp .Dont be scared to admit that you havent grasped the "concept " and ask for repeated explanation .
steersox@mweb.co.za
Wanna Fly
Closest Airfield: EAST LONDON

Unread post by steersox@mweb.co.za » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:39 am

Download Swales mock exams. There is even an app for your phone so you can do the tests anytime. Get 100% constantly on the mock exams and you should pass comfortably.
However principles of flight is something you need to understand and feel, so make sure you do.
Charlee
Aircraft in Hangar
Closest Airfield: FAHA

Unread post by Charlee » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:29 am

To be honest, I underestimated studying for PPL! How difficult could it be I thought! I am currently studying for Met, my 6th exam, and yesterday I hit bottom after I scored a bit low on the mocks. I left the books went swimming had a beer and thought screw it! Last night I gained some courage and went at it again. Then studying went a lot better! Starting with the book again! It really is a mental game. If you are not tuned in you are going to battle! You should mentally prepare before you grab the books. I motivate myself by thinking practical about the material. It is after all going to be things you will use when flying an aircraft.

Being close to the 40's and running 3 companies and prioritizing family life doesn't make it any easier either. I study at night when the rest of the family are sound asleep. I grab every opportunity I can to study! Taking my daughter to gymnastic, I will sit in the car and study while waiting for her. If I get a break from work for a couple of minutes I will grab the books. I did my 5 exams in one and a half months (PASSING ALL)but feeling it now. Only three more to go! But the truth is... what you put in you will get out!

Get your mind right and you will fly!
Mustang
ATC Delay

Unread post by Mustang » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:30 pm

Hi Charlee

It gets harder as you progress because your head is bombarded with all the information in a relative short time. I have also been there and all I can recommend is that you take a break for a few days just to relax your brain a bit. You will feel much better and the information you have already studied the past few days will also be recalled easier. Met can be a bugger to learn. It also helps a lot to practice a bit on the mock exams. :wink:
Charlee wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:29 am
To be honest, I underestimated studying for PPL!
"Aviation is a passion towards greater achievement in life!" - Julius Klokow (Mustang)
Charlee
Aircraft in Hangar

Unread post by Charlee » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:52 pm

Mustang wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:30 pm
Hi Charlee

It gets harder as you progress because your head is bombarded with all the information in a relative short time. I have also been there and all I can recommend is that you take a break for a few days just to relax your brain a bit. You will feel much better and the information you have already studied the past few days will also be recalled easier. Met can be a bugger to learn. It also helps a lot to practice a bit on the mock exams. :wink:
Charlee wrote:
And worst of all Mustang, is the plane is standing in the hangar waiting to be flown!!! Guess that is my motivation... Im itching to take her up!
Mustang
ATC Delay

Unread post by Mustang » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:01 pm

Charlee, I had a look at her and she looks beautiful! Very neat indeed.
Charlee wrote:
[/quote]

And worst of all Mustang, is the plane is standing in the hangar waiting to be flown!!! Guess that is my motivation... Im itching to take her up!
[/quote]
Charlee
Aircraft in Hangar

Unread post by Charlee » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:45 am

Mustang wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:01 pm
Charlee, I had a look at her and she looks beautiful! Very neat indeed.

Thanks Mustang! Very proud of her!!
IMPI
Post Take off checks
Closest Airfield: Morningstar

Unread post by IMPI » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:46 am

Good day all

Studying is as easy as ABC = Apply Bum to Chair :lol: And, of course the other good advice received from above replies to your question.

The first time I did PPL was in 1982. Different time / era! Then a layoff for 18 years - house, bond, wife, kids, starting up a business, lack of funds, the usual and then in 2000 I had to start all over again with the theoretical. now that was a mind fnuck!

I found it very difficult to get into the study routine at 52 but what motivate me was to set myself targets. First pass an exam and then reward yourself with an instructional flight and so on until all exams were completed (and therein lies my tip to you). It took me all of 6 months to complete the theoretical but only 18hrs instructional flight (dual & solo) followed by the flight test to be declared competent again.

Try and complete the exams that are easier first, it helps build confidence and motivation. Also try and do the study topics to coincide with the practical lessons - there, another two tips to try out :)

Go for it and good luck

Best wishes
Chris
'Never trade skill for luck'
I put the fun back into dys"fun"ctional
Chris Lambert
Durbanville
FASH/FAFK/Morningstar

Return to “General Aviation Chatter”