Aviation chatter - For ALL Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts

Moderator: Moderators

Tex Turton
Wanna Fly
Closest Airfield: Private on farm

Re: Tribute to Godfrey Edmonds

Unread post by Tex Turton » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:33 pm

Good Day,
As my daughter has said Godfrey was my farther in law I am married to Anita (nee Edmonds) Godfrey was a bomber pilot not a spitfire pilot, many articles written about him say this but in fact it is incorrect. It was early in his flight training that he crashed as a cause of having night blindness due to a bout of Chicken pox. He was doing night training when he took off and could not see his instruments, keeping the aircraft level and unaware that he was not climbing enough he flew into the side of a hill a few miles from the runway. His plane burst into flames and with the heat his fingers on his right hand got burnt off when he opened his harness buckle. A farm hand who lived close to the crash site Will Kill (who Anita and I went to visit when in the UK) ran over as Godfrey kicked his way out of the plane, wrapped him in a blanket and he was taken of to Hospital. It took 2 years of recouperating at East Grinstad hospital under the eye of Sir Archie Macando (sp) before he came out of hospital, and to actually fly again in the later years of the war. Gladys Morrison who he met prior to his accident in Edinborough, and who was an ambulance driver during the war, was by his side for all that time and they only got married after he had recovered. He came back to South Africa with his Scottish lass after the war and settled in a small rural town Kokstad. Because of his burns he was unable to have children and they adopted a boy George and girl Anita. He started to sell ex army jeeps and as an advert to what they could do, was the first man to drive up the Sani Pass into Lesotho. Godfrey had a wicked sense of humor and was quick to tell his party friends that he had pubic eye brows as this was the only hair that could be grafted onto his face to create eyebrows! His burns were grotesque however, because of his character you would see past this and behind the burns was an amazing man who told us children that when lying in hospital he just refused to die! - Amazingly he died of meningitis 40 years later on the anniversary of his accident - he had been granted 40 more years of wonderful life
Ka6E
Priming
Closest Airfield: Wonderboom

Unread post by Ka6E » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:50 pm

This is the kind of thread that makes Avcom great. Superb stuff.
Dale Turton
Flight Planning
Closest Airfield: London Gatwick

Unread post by Dale Turton » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:03 pm

image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dale Turton
Flight Planning

Unread post by Dale Turton » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:08 pm

image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dale Turton
Flight Planning

Unread post by Dale Turton » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:11 pm

image.jpg
Dale Turton
Flight Planning

Unread post by Dale Turton » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:19 pm

image.jpg
Dale Turton
Flight Planning

Unread post by Dale Turton » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:27 pm

image.jpg
apollo11
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGM

Unread post by apollo11 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:14 pm

Amazing... =D> Moving story... the pics tell a thousand words...
Straighten up and fly right!
Perry
dany
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: moscow

Unread post by dany » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:23 pm

=D> =D> =D>
PJL
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Closest Airfield: Pyramid Air Park

Unread post by PJL » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:16 am

Firstly to Tex and Dale Turton a very warm welcome to Avcom!!!! This is indeed an amazing story and thank you for sharing it with us !!!!

PJL
To invent an airplane is nothing. To build one is something. To fly it is everything. — Otto Lilienthal

"When once you have tasted flight,
you will forever walk the earth
with your eyes turned skywards."
― Leonardo da Vinci
MrT
FREDA checks
Closest Airfield: CPT

Unread post by MrT » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:55 am

I hope somebody has Darrell's email address and has emailed him to read these posts. John.
Dale Turton
Flight Planning

Unread post by Dale Turton » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:33 am

Yes we have been in email contact with Darrell which has been fantastic.
Thanks again for your support. If anyone else has any photos or info please feel free to share it with us.

Dale
richard C
8000 Tousand
8000 Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGM

Unread post by richard C » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:33 pm

Blown away !!!! =D> =D>
Grant all equity and dignity.
Monzeglio Cook + Gibson Architects
Philippaday
Wanna Fly
Closest Airfield: Cranwell

Unread post by Philippaday » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:05 pm

I have been very interested to read all the emails about Godfrey Edmonds. As a child, growing up in South Africa I remember that he was a friend of my parents. He and his wife, I think, we're coming to lunch. It was explained to my brother,aged about 4 , that he did not look quite like everyone else and the reason was explained to him. He must not stare at Godfrey. When they arrived my brother stepped bravely forward, with a smile on his face and extended a hand to welcome him.Poor child collapsed in horror. No one had mentioned that Godfrey had only two fingers and he had been quite unprepared for such an unusual handshake. We were living in Johannesburg at the time but then moved down to Natal and I don't remember Godfrey after that.

I wonder now how it was that my parents knew him as my Father was not a flying man.Perhaps it might have been through my Fathers cousin George Reynolds,who won the George Cross for some brave deed.

Philippa Day
bullet
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by bullet » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:48 am

Amazing thread!
Last edited by bullet on Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Life is too short for cheap wine or slow cars.

Return to “General Aviation Chatter”