Moderator: Moderators

Ka6E
Priming
Closest Airfield: Wonderboom
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Jora Light Sport Aircraft

Unread post by Ka6E » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:25 am

Are there any Avcommers who fly the Jora?
If so, I am keen to hear of any issues, tricks, traps etc regarding the approach and landing.
Arjan
Airborne from Unmanned field
Closest Airfield: Silver Creek
Been liked: 16 times

Re: Jora Light Sport Aircraft

Unread post by Arjan » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:02 am

Contact Helmut Hahn 083 555 7802 - he flies his out of Brits.
ZU GAS-Whisper TMG
ZS GLH-Astir Glider “Sold”
ZU MAS-Zenith CH640 “Sold”
ZS GWK-DG 505 “Sold”
ZS GAH-Falke SF25C “Sold”
ZS GFH-Focke Wulf Kranich II (4 Sale)
ZU BKF-Blanic Vivat “Sold”
ZU WAS-Wilga PZL
ZU IMD-Wide Hawk”Sold”
ZU DAB-Navion
ZU DLW-Bonnie V
rainier
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FASH
Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 399 times

Unread post by rainier » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:10 am

Ka6E wrote:Are there any Avcommers who fly the Jora?
If so, I am keen to hear of any issues, tricks, traps etc regarding the approach and landing.
I have owned a Jora for a number of years, full length wing (10.5 meters) with Rotax 582.

The Jora is a very docile aircraft with a very large amount of controllability at very low airspeeds. She can fly quite slow at high angles of attack and seems to ignore common rules that say you can't fly slow at very high bank angles (she just does).
This makes it pretty easy to land the jora even in very bumpy conditions - however it does take a bit of getting used to. You can and need to apply rapid inputs to keep things lined up.
One danger you will be facing is flying too slow on approach in conditions where you have a bit of headwind. As you get quite low there tends to be a rapid decrease in wind speed and hence your airspeed can drop pretty fast. You need to be ready for this with a quick jab of power or alternatively come in a bit faster. The Jora is light so she responds immediately and positively to power input. If you don't get this right, you can quite literally fall out of the sky in a level attitude which will result in a hard touch down and possibly even breaking the very strong undercarriage.
The only "quirk" she has relates to the fuselage blanketing the rudder. This means it is almost impossible to fly with the ball centered and in this condition she is yaw unstable. However just a slight amount of slip to get the ball out of the center and she is rock steady. You will notice she likes the ball on a particular side depending on which way the prop turns.
This effect is really only an issue at higher speeds - can't say I remember any issue at low speeds (and higher AOA).

Other than that the Jora is a remarkable little aircraft with a wide range of talents. I often enjoyed keeping her at low power (at around 6 liters/hour mogas) bumping around low level at some 65mph over the country side with doors removed.
I used to enjoy the take-offs. The Jora does not take-off like a normal aircraft. She tends to just jump into the air after a short run - particularly if you are light. I used to think the Jora actually enjoys flying...

Rainier
Who said the sky is the limit ? It's not. The CAA is the limit.
MarkB
Lining Up
Been liked: 0

Unread post by MarkB » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:38 pm

I own the Jora sport (clipped wing version). The only slightly odd thing is the neutral yaw stability as discussed by Rainier. Landing in strong gusty winds requires attention as it is a very light aircraft with low inertia (like many of the VLA's around), however powerful controls provide plenty of control but flying in these types of conditions is generally unpleasant, well some may enjoy it. The cockpit is tight for two large guys but fine for medium to smaller builds. It performs very well at sea level off its 65 HP, it is agile and great fun to throw around in the sky with a very benign stall, also slips like a dream. I liken it to a cub but with more performance and agility, a great fair weather flyer in my opinion.
Mark
MaverickKevin
Take off Clearance
Closest Airfield: FAKR
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 18 times

Unread post by MaverickKevin » Tue May 17, 2022 2:13 pm

Resurrecting an old post here, but I am keen on the machine and would like to actually see one in the Gauteng region, otherwise might be taking some long drives ....

If anyone can assist, please PM me.
Remember- the mags are always hot, the oil cap is always loose ...

Aviate Navigate Communicate!
Trevor Duane
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGF
Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 214 times

Unread post by Trevor Duane » Tue May 17, 2022 5:04 pm

MaverickKevin wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 2:13 pm
Resurrecting an old post here, but I am keen on the machine and would like to actually see one in the Gauteng region, otherwise might be taking some long drives ....

If anyone can assist, please PM me.
You cannot go wrong. The Jora is an extremely capable aircraft it ticks all the boxes. And at the price some are going for you cannot get better value for money or even remotely close to it. I believe a Jora with a 582 on the highveld is a better combination than any other airframe with the same engine. And if it has a 912 well then no brainer. You cant go wrong
These users liked the author Trevor Duane for the post:
MaverickKevin
www.pegasuas.co.za
Video of our locally built UAV
https://youtu.be/JxfRjnKQ_74
ZS-VVR Flightstar 2
ZU-FEE Flightstar 2
ZU-BRV KFA Bushbaby
ZU-XXX J3 Cub replica under construction
MaverickKevin
Take off Clearance
Closest Airfield: FAKR
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 18 times

Unread post by MaverickKevin » Tue May 17, 2022 6:01 pm

Well with an empty weight of 225kg and 64 HP, it ain't too shabby Nige :D
Remember- the mags are always hot, the oil cap is always loose ...

Aviate Navigate Communicate!
Trevor Duane
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGF
Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 214 times

Unread post by Trevor Duane » Tue May 17, 2022 7:00 pm

MaverickKevin wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 6:01 pm
Well with an empty weight of 225kg and 64 HP, it ain't too shabby Nige :D