Aviation chatter - For ALL Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts

Moderator: Moderators

Deanw
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Closest Airfield: FACT

Re: Did Amelia Earhart Survive?

Unread post by Deanw » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:22 am

excolonial wrote:What is interesting however is what they were doing bumbling about in the backyard of a trigger happy expantionist Japan.
Any different to the number of solo/safari adventurers who fly between Europe and SA over or near countries in conflict?
How come every time my ship comes in I'm at the airport?

http://www.SAairforce.co.za
excolonial
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: komani

Unread post by excolonial » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:14 am

Deanw wrote:
excolonial wrote:What is interesting however is what they were doing bumbling about in the backyard of a trigger happy expantionist Japan.
Any different to the number of solo/safari adventurers who fly between Europe and SA over or near countries in conflict?
Yes, flying near small scale conflicts very different from a power intent on regional domination who had shown themselves to be completely ruthless, with a long reach and huge military resources. It would be te equivalent of a Muslim flying through Iraq during the gulf war....
The older I get, the more I am convinced that "A Confederacy of Dunces" is non fiction.
Heli_Driver
Taxiing

Unread post by Heli_Driver » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:28 pm

That photo has already been found in a Japanese book that was published two years before her trip, so it's been confirmed that it's not her in the photo
GRAHAMW
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: FAUL

Unread post by GRAHAMW » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:48 am

NEW YORK — Bones found in 1940 on a western Pacific Ocean island were quite likely to be remains from famed aviator Amelia Earhart, a new analysis concludes.

The study and other evidence "point toward her rather strongly," University of Tennessee anthropologist Richard Jantz said Thursday.

Amelia Earhart’s bones may have actually been found in 1940

Earhart disappeared during an attempted flight around the world in 1937, and the search for an answer to what happened to her and her navigator has captivated the public for decades.

Jantz's analysis is the latest chapter in a back-and-forth that has played out about the remains, which were found in 1940 on Nikumaroro Island but are now lost.

All that survive are seven measurements, from the skull and bones of the arm and leg. Those measurements led a scientist in 1941 to conclude the bones belong to a man. In 1998, however, Jantz and another scientist reinterpreted them as coming from a woman of European ancestry, and about Earhart's height. But in 2015, still other researchers concluded the original assessment as a man was correct.

Now Jantz weighs in with another analysis of the measurements, published in January in the journal Forensic Anthropology.

For comparison, Jantz used an inseam length and waist circumference from a pair of Earhart's trousers. He also drew on a photo of her holding an oil can to estimate the lengths of two arm bones.

Analysis showed "the bones are consistent with Earhart in all respects we know or can reasonably infer," he wrote in the journal article. It's highly unlikely that a random person would resemble the bones as closely as Earhart, he wrote.

In a phone interview, Jantz noted that some artifacts found on the island also support the possibility that the bones came from Earhart.

"I think we have pretty good evidence that it's her," he said.
Graham Wallbridge

The secret to getting ahead is getting started - Mark Twain
Dish
Climbing Out
Closest Airfield: Panorama

Unread post by Dish » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:26 am

Heli_Driver wrote:That photo has already been found in a Japanese book that was published two years before her trip, so it's been confirmed that it's not her in the photo
Could be photoshopped :) :D
TinTin
Reaching GFA
Closest Airfield: FAGM

Did Amelia Earhart Survive?

Unread post by TinTin » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:34 pm

So it seems that some wreckage has been discovered that they believe may solve this mystery!

Some quotes from the article:
Divers from Project Blue Angel say they first located the wreckage in August 2018, and identified several characteristics of Earhart’s plane, most significantly a glass disc that could be a light lens from the plane.
and...
“What we’ve found so far is consistent with the plane she flew.”

Most of the searches have concentrated on the area of the ocean near Howland Island. But what if, worried about fuel running low and facing headwinds, she turned around?
https://www.thevintagenews.com/2019/02/03/wreck-found/
Jonathan Davis
"negative ghostrider the pattern is full"
TinTin
Reaching GFA

Amelia Earhart - wreckage possibly found

Unread post by TinTin » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:56 pm

Here's the Projects webpage.

https://www.projectblueangel.com/about
Jonathan Davis
Wingnutter
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: Chek Lap Kok VHHH

Unread post by Wingnutter » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:07 pm

The location of the wreckage is nowhere near Howland Island - it is pretty certain they were at least close to Howland (by their own estimates and the strong radio signal received by the US coast guard ship), and they reported they were low on fuel at that point. Their last transmissions indicated they were flying on a N/S line - Buka island is way west of Howland, so this latest theory makes no sense to me.
If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.
jimdavis
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: FAGG

Unread post by jimdavis » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:02 pm

TinTin wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:34 pm
So it seems that some wreckage has been discovered that they believe may solve this mystery!

Some quotes from the article:
Divers from Project Blue Angel say they first located the wreckage in August 2018, and identified several characteristics of Earhart’s plane, most significantly a glass disc that could be a light lens from the plane.
and...
“What we’ve found so far is consistent with the plane she flew.”

Most of the searches have concentrated on the area of the ocean near Howland Island. But what if, worried about fuel running low and facing headwinds, she turned around?
https://www.thevintagenews.com/2019/02/03/wreck-found/
Tin Tin this is very interesting. Presumably these bits of wreckage were actually on dry land - an island? So it should be easy to identify the position. No?

jim
"So Others May Live", "PPL Manual", "Flight Tests", and "Flying in Africa" Volumes I & II. Look inside these books, and buy them at: www.jimdavis.co.za.
Deanw
Six Tousand
Six Tousand

Unread post by Deanw » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:36 pm

I think the wreckage is underwater.
How come every time my ship comes in I'm at the airport?

http://www.SAairforce.co.za
TinTin
Reaching GFA

Unread post by TinTin » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:46 pm

[/quote]

Tin Tin this is very interesting. Presumably these bits of wreckage were actually on dry land - an island? So it should be easy to identify the position. No?

jim
[/quote]

Hi Jim,

It's under water at a depth of 30m just off the shoreline. I took a look on Google Maps and the theory poses the question that they turned around and headed back towards Papua New Guinea.

As Wingnutzer mentioned earlier, this flies in the face of the radio transmissions that she put out which suggests they believed they were at their destination Howard Island???

I read the articles and the researchers are growing in excitement that they've found it!
Jonathan Davis
jimdavis
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: FAGG

Unread post by jimdavis » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:18 pm

TinTin wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:46 pm

jim
[/quote]

Hi Jim,

It's under water at a depth of 30m just off the shoreline. I took a look on Google Maps and the theory poses the question that they turned around and headed back towards Papua New Guinea.

As Wingnutzer mentioned earlier, this flies in the face of the radio transmissions that she put out which suggests they believed they were at their destination Howard Island???

I read the articles and the researchers are growing in excitement that they've found it!
[/quote]

Wow! That's very exciting!

jim
"So Others May Live", "PPL Manual", "Flight Tests", and "Flying in Africa" Volumes I & II. Look inside these books, and buy them at: www.jimdavis.co.za.
Vesparado
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Not saying

Unread post by Vesparado » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:49 pm

SaraLima wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:25 pm
lodge wrote:would like to see the documentary
Hi Lodge, I have the documentary in my Google drive. PM me your email and I will share the link with you for you to download from my drive and watch on your own device .. full HD :-)
Yes please as well! [-o<

Ves :mrgreen:
I say,Fly It like you stole it!
Wingnutter
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: Chek Lap Kok VHHH

Unread post by Wingnutter » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:12 am

The location of the wreckage just doesn’t fit the known facts - if they had turned around sometime after reporting they were in the vicinity of Howland Island (Noonan was a highly experienced navigator so they would have been at least close to their dead reckoning position), they wouldn’t have had enough fuel to make it to the wreckage location. I’ve heard many claims like this over the the years so I’m dubious.

From the article:

At 7:42 a.m., she radioed: “We must be on you, but cannot see you – but gas is running low. Have been unable to reach you by radio. We are flying at 1,000 feet”

At 8:43 a.m., Earhart reported, “We are on the line 157 337. We will repeat this message. We will repeat this on 6210 kilocycles. Wait.” And a few moments later: “We are running on line north and south.”

Map below shows position of Lae (departure point), Buka Island and Howland Island (destination). If they were low on fuel in the vicinity of Howland as they reported, how could they possibly make it back to Buka? Lae to Howland is a distance of 2556 nm (the longest leg on the trip) and they took off with 1100 gallons of fuel, which was not much more than what they needed for the leg.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.
SaraLima
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FASH and Morningstar

Unread post by SaraLima » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:40 pm

Hi All...

Just a quick note to anyone who may wish to see the documentary.. When this thread died more than a year ago, I removed the documentary from my Google Drive for space saving reasons.

I now no longer have this particular documentary on Amelia Earhart.

Sorry, but I cannot assist any requests to view it.

Fly safe..
There are three simple rules for making a perfect landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are.
I was flying in uniform when you were still in liquid form :wink:

Return to “General Aviation Chatter”