Moderator: Moderators

Beech Bum
Lining Up
Closest Airfield: Caledon
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Service AI or fit Garmin G5

Unread post by Beech Bum » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:36 am

I need advice from anybody who has experienced the same conundrum. My AI is tilting in flight and have to be serviced - don't know what is wrong but suspect rotor replacement. It is vacuum driven without caging mechanism.
Do I buy the new certified G5 or repair the AI. My gut feel is that, even a repaired AI might go again in say 50-100hours. I am leaning towards the shiny new G5 - but the cost might be inhibitive. If you have done this, please share the experience and cost.
Another question is what can I expect to sell my existing AI for - unrepaired and repaired

Regards
Beech Bum
Beech Bum
Lining Up

Re: Service AI or fit Garmin G5

Unread post by Beech Bum » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:05 pm

I have just received a quote to replace the AI. The toal cost is approx R80k without VAT. Inclusive is the cost to get SACAA approval at approx R19k ex VAT. I now have heartburn and need a whiskey.
Goldfinger
Flaps set for Take off
Closest Airfield: FAVV

Unread post by Goldfinger » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:22 pm

Hi Beech Bum

Your Quote was that to repair the Vacuum AI , I have / would recommend the Garmin G5 awesome piece of kit.

You should be able to have one installed / CAA paperwork etc All in for under R50K .

As for the old Vacuum pump gauges dont think you will get much for these

:D :D :D :D
LowFlyingDuck
Reaching altitude
Closest Airfield: Morningstar
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 14 times

Unread post by LowFlyingDuck » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:27 pm

I’d suggest getting another quote before you do anything. I was recently quoted less than that for 2 x G5 units (the DI/AH combo) including STCs and installation.

In terms of the pricing comparison with repairing your old AH, I think it’s a bit of an apples-with pairs comparison. The G5 is pretty much an entire 6-pack replacement in one small instrument. Plus you get the benefits of redundancy, weight saving, etc. if you install a pair of them and dump all your vacuum systems. If you then couple it up to a Garmin GPS and autopilot, even better.
Rotor kop
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand
Closest Airfield: OR Thambo
Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 15 times

Unread post by Rotor kop » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:49 pm

Beech Bum wrote:I have just received a quote to replace the AI. The toal cost is approx R80k without VAT. Inclusive is the cost to get SACAA approval at approx R19k ex VAT. I now have heartburn and need a whiskey.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Did Whirly not have a well priced G5 here for sale recently?
To fly is Heavenly, but to HOVER is Divine
I'm not driving fast - i'm flying low
Lood
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 7 times

Unread post by Lood » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:58 pm

Was the R80k quote to repair your existing AI? If so, tell whoever it was that quoted you to get real and why would there be a CAA mod approval required for a repair on an installed instrument?

Go for the G5, regardless. I recently got a quote for two G5’s:
2 x G5: $4800
1 x magnetometer: $200
Installation: R25k
CAA fees: R21k
"An airplane might disappoint any pilot, but it'll never surprise a good one." — Len Morgan
Mauler
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: Vans
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by Mauler » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:40 pm

Crazy. The price of a certified G5 is around R30K. Uncertified is much less. You can get an overhauled Sigma-Tek AI from Aircraft Spruce for under R10K if you send your old one in as a core.

The unconscionable charges and skulduggery to get the paperwork to get a G5 into your panel is a big stumbling block. AOPA is getting plenty of reports about big money and long lead times for upgrading instruments and avionics. CAA just seems to be obstructive.

If anyone has experience installing a G5, please let us all hear about it.
cage
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 258 times

Unread post by cage » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:22 pm

Beech Bum wrote:I have just received a quote to replace the AI. The toal cost is approx R80k without VAT. Inclusive is the cost to get SACAA approval at approx R19k ex VAT. I now have heartburn and need a whiskey.
Get a new avionics company.
Beech Bum
Lining Up

Unread post by Beech Bum » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:22 am

I have yet to get a quote for repair of the AI, but the second quote came in at around R50K ex vat. Much better. I think Whirly had one for sale but unsure if it was a certified unit, will check.
V5 - LEO
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Closest Airfield: FYWH
Has liked: 53 times
Been liked: 48 times

Unread post by V5 - LEO » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:58 am

....whirly had one, uncertified.
In God I trust. The masses are never right, the minority are sometimes right, but the truth is always right.
“One good teacher in a lifetime may sometimes change a delinquent into a solid citizen.” — Philip Wylie
TikkaT3
Taxiing to Clubhouse
Closest Airfield: Potchefstroom
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by TikkaT3 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:33 am

V5 - LEO wrote:....whirly had one, uncertified.
What's the crazy cost for "CAA Paperwork" then?

Isn't this for a mod approval?

If the certified unit can't be installed without paying the mod approval fees, why not then just buy an un-certified version and have the mod approved by the CAA? Like installing a Garmin GPS296 in your panel, you now need a mod approval done for that, that then becomes legal and it is not TSO... So why can't you install a experimental G5 in your type certified aircraft?
Cessna 182
cage
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 258 times

Unread post by cage » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:59 am

TikkaT3 wrote:.. So why can't you install a experimental G5 in your type certified aircraft?
Because you need an STC for anything that goes into a certified aircraft.
There is a certified G5 and an uncertified one - the latter is far cheaper, almost half the cost.
V5 - LEO
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Closest Airfield: FYWH
Has liked: 53 times
Been liked: 48 times

Unread post by V5 - LEO » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:11 am

cage wrote:There is a certified G5 and an uncertified one - the latter is far cheaper, almost half the cost.

....with exactly the same functions!
In God I trust. The masses are never right, the minority are sometimes right, but the truth is always right.
“One good teacher in a lifetime may sometimes change a delinquent into a solid citizen.” — Philip Wylie
Beech Bum
Lining Up

Unread post by Beech Bum » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:15 am

I have heard that one can install a G5 additional to your primary instruments and get away with fitting the Experimental version by placarding the unit as " Not to be used as flight instrument" How true this is, I don't know - probably an urban legend
TikkaT3
Taxiing to Clubhouse
Closest Airfield: Potchefstroom
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by TikkaT3 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:33 am

cage wrote:
TikkaT3 wrote:.. So why can't you install a experimental G5 in your type certified aircraft?
Because you need an STC for anything that goes into a certified aircraft.
There is a certified G5 and an uncertified one - the latter is far cheaper, almost half the cost.
A Garmin 296 doesn't have an STC as far as I'm aware and there are plenty of these panel mounted and wired-up in certified AC?

These required mod-approvals (and were approved) in the past, and all STC'd avionics could be merely installed with a 8130 and logbook entry?

Now the CAA, for all avionics (regardless of STC or not) require it to go through a mod approval process (because they've canned the STC equipment just needing a 8130 and logbook entry), so why not then just buy the experimental one and get them to approve it?

Summary: If you buy a STC avionics, you require a CAA mod approval. If you buy non-STC'd equipment, you require a CAA mod approval.
Cessna 182

Return to “General Aviation Chatter”