Part 103 - could it work in our parts of the world?

Aviation chatter - For ALL Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts

Moderator: Moderators

V5 - LEO
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Closest Airfield: FYWH
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 10 times

Part 103 - could it work in our parts of the world?

Unread post by V5 - LEO » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:04 pm

....joined a w/app group in Trumpland, Legal Eagle. They have an Ultralight that is part 103 compliant - part 103 allows the pilot to fly the craft without a license :shock: :D For obvious reasons the craft is still checked out to be airworthy and that it conforms to part 103 by the FAA. Got me thinking if such a part will / can work in our parts of the woods. I have an opinion already about it, would like to hear your thoughts - and lets not make it about the country of origin, but the practicality and enforcement thereof in our parts of the woods?
In God I trust. The masses are never right, the minority are sometimes right, but the truth is always right.
“One good teacher in a lifetime may sometimes change a delinquent into a solid citizen.” — Philip Wylie
heinrich
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: EGSX
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Part 103 - could it work in our parts of the world?

Unread post by heinrich » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:33 pm

We have the SSDR in the UK (single seat deregulated) which is the same as the US' part 103. It's a bit baffling (and liberating really) to see something like a Streak Shadow on SSDR (there is one at a small airfield not far from my home). That same Shadow can also be registered as a microlight or on "Group A" (which is about the same as NTCA in SA). Difference is really as simple as removing the Shadow's rear seat and safety belt, making it a single seater only. Like I said, I find it refreshing to see that some countries - well known for their bureaucracy - can be so open to such changes.

So - :lol: the long answer is no. From a CAA point of view, I do not think there are enough people within the organization that have such a love (or even just an appreciation) for aviation that something like this will ever come through. Also, they have some decent lobby groups that have a lot of clout to get things done and an FAA that is willing to give things a try. Not the same mindset here I think? :?
heinrich
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by heinrich » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:36 pm

Just think how nice and practical something like an Airbike or Legal Eagle would be for someone on a farm? Something to patrol the farm with and respond to any event - be a livestock trouble or security issues or anything.
V5 - LEO
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet

Unread post by V5 - LEO » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:53 pm

heinrich wrote:Just think how nice and practical something like an Airbike or Legal Eagle would be for someone on a farm? Something to patrol the farm with and respond to any event - be a livestock trouble or security issues or anything.

...I like the way you are thinking :!: :!: =D>
In God I trust. The masses are never right, the minority are sometimes right, but the truth is always right.
“One good teacher in a lifetime may sometimes change a delinquent into a solid citizen.” — Philip Wylie
Sideslip
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Closest Airfield: Springs
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 16 times

Unread post by Sideslip » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:56 pm

heinrich wrote:We have the SSDR in the UK (single seat deregulated) which is the same as the US' part 103.
Is this overseen by the LAA?
Mike Gill
heinrich
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by heinrich » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:23 pm

Sideslip wrote:
heinrich wrote:We have the SSDR in the UK (single seat deregulated) which is the same as the US' part 103.
Is this overseen by the LAA?
I believe so yes. I'm not 100% au fait with the process but I have read that for the Streak at least, it's a simple paperwork exercise to the LAA to register as SSDR, inspector comes out to check that safety belt is removed and it's done. (This from a UK forum as I am busy reading up on this as I am looking for something similar, but not SSDR so I can keep my EASA license current. (I'll register it as Group A/"NTCA")
heinrich
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by heinrich » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:25 pm

V5 - LEO wrote:
heinrich wrote:Just think how nice and practical something like an Airbike or Legal Eagle would be for someone on a farm? Something to patrol the farm with and respond to any event - be a livestock trouble or security issues or anything.

Ja man. :D Think of these far flung boere and the nightmare to get an inspector out for an annual ATF. The cost isn't justified. And you can use one of your fire roads as a runway...
V5 - LEO
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet

Unread post by V5 - LEO » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:28 pm

heinrich wrote:
V5 - LEO wrote:

Ja man. :D Think of these far flung boere and the nightmare to get an inspector out for an annual ATF. The cost isn't justified. And you can use one of your fire roads as a runway...
...cost wise, think about patrolling the whole farm 12000 ha in say about an hour costing you R200, afterwards just send the foreman to the troubled area, if you spotted any - plus, plus you get airtime :lol: :lol:
heinrich
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by heinrich » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:29 pm

Can I ask the obvious question: Has someone actually gone and asked the relevant body to suggest this to the CAA? (RAASA/EAA)

I mean, how did LSA come to life in SA?
Marius Schrenk
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Closest Airfield: 300m from home
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 9 times

Unread post by Marius Schrenk » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:35 pm

heinrich wrote:Can I ask the obvious question: Has someone actually gone and asked the relevant body to suggest this to the CAA? (RAASA/EAA)

One would not know.....our prez of the "relevant body" is currently banned here on avcom so we cannot ask him. :roll:
Politics attracts crooks and lawyers,most of the time its the same person.
heinrich
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by heinrich » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:43 pm

Marius Schrenk wrote:
heinrich wrote:Can I ask the obvious question: Has someone actually gone and asked the relevant body to suggest this to the CAA? (RAASA/EAA)

One would not know.....our prez of the "relevant body" is currently banned here on avcom so we cannot ask him. :roll:
I'm not sure if this is the right fit (or fight :twisted: :twisted: ) for AOPA to be honest. I think this is something RAASA or the EAA should push for. It's much closer to their remit if you ask me?
heinrich
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by heinrich » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:48 pm

Marius Schrenk wrote:

Also, I could be mistaken but doubt if AOPA had any involvement to get LSA into the regs?
heisan
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Closest Airfield: Rhino Park
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times

Unread post by heisan » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:21 pm

I did make some proposals to RAASA as part of Project 24, but they never replied to any of my emails...

Perhaps our Aeroclub boss (who also haunts these forums) can add this to the todo list :wink: .
Justin Schoeman

ZU-FSR (Raven)
V5 - LEO
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet

Unread post by V5 - LEO » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:38 pm

heisan wrote:

I did make some proposals to RAASA as part of Project 24, but they never replied to any of my emails...

Perhaps our Aeroclub boss (who also haunts these forums) can add this to the todo list :wink: .
...can we help, give us the info and we can send a few mails to evoke some action or replies? Or is that maybe a bad thing?
heisan
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Closest Airfield: Rhino Park
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times

Unread post by heisan » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:54 pm

V5 - LEO wrote:...can we help, give us the info and we can send a few mails to evoke some action or replies? Or is that maybe a bad thing?
I am not sure if Project 24 still exists?
Justin Schoeman

ZU-FSR (Raven)

Return to “General Aviation Chatter”