Part 103 - could it work in our parts of the world?

Aviation chatter - For ALL Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts

Moderator: Moderators

spatz
Engine Run ups
Closest Airfield: Plaistows + Bovingdon
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 0

Re: Part 103 - could it work in our parts of the world?

Unread post by spatz » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:51 am

Just to Counter this is a modern SSDR in the UK http://sdplanes.co.uk/
SD1.jpg
Image is a stock Photo

You Need a licence thereafter you can fly and maintain it on your own
We also have Sub 70 Category , no licence or Reg required Max empty weight <70Kg and you can be airborne but you would be terminally stupid to try do so without the appropriate training

Keven
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Keven Gaffney
Never let an aircraft take you somewhere your brain didn't get to five minutes earlier.
Johan Swakopmund
Taxiing to Clubhouse
Closest Airfield: Swakopmund
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 20 times

Unread post by Johan Swakopmund » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:09 pm

Heinrich ek hijack hierdie thread nou ordentlik maar probeer manne wys wat kan / het al gebeur

Will write this one in English
Few years ago i rescued a KR2S that was standing for years and the storage place wanted the space.
Unfortunately i cannot leave trouble alone and after negotiations the owner by that time told me to
take the aircraft and only after a thorough inspection and approvals from my AP i will pay her a small sum.
The aircraft was covered in dust with some sunshades and locked up that i could not see the instruments inside.
Organized a trailer and off we go from Windhoek to Swakopmund.
When in Swakop most dust blew off and i was a happy chappy with little to no space in the hangar so the wings was hoisted
into the roof rafters and the KR checking me out every time i open the doors.
Wheels pumped and opening the canopy all logbooks, flight folio , registration certificates all was lying on the seat neatly
in a file with a extra prop spinner and mold,
All fundis passed the wood the structure etc and i thought this weekend this damn volkswagen is going to run.
First i took the petrol tank out as it was loose and put it one side - new fuel sensor was installed but tank never properly replaced.
Then removed the brand new plugs that was only hand tightened and after some squirts of Q20 turned the engine trough few times
All back in place i connected a chargeable battery pack and all instrument started up as if new.
Then a good dose of quickstart in the air cleaner and by the fith swing it gave a moerse fart.
Then put 5 liters of petrol in the tank - turned it on all sides and inverted but not a leak - so installed back in its cradle.
Tank back in place and all tied up i primed the fuel system with the back up electric fuel pump.
Right hand fuel bowl sweating but that will be tightened tomorrow.

Back wheel was tied down wit 40 kg sand bag - throttle set to 30 % but it was actually more.
Now as the advert said WHAT COULD GO WRONG?
i turned the prop - the engine started howling and i just missed the wheel stub where the wings was supposed to be.
I grabbed the tail and it pulled me under the horizontal stabilizer next to my bag of sand.
Man o man that VW engine is potent - it dragged me down as i tried to steer the back wheel away from a lot of aircraft
parked around the fuel bay, just dust and sand doing some desert plowing
about 50 meters later a young pilot ran up, closed the throttle and believe me as i crept out underneath the aircraft the VW was idling as if in good shape and ready for a second run ( but surely with a pilot inside )
All skydivers than ran for my rescue parked me one side to bleed on my own and put the KR back in the hanger.
My t shirt was torn and hung over my shoulder , my jeans had no knees , my rather long hair stood like Einstein except it was
full of sand.
No skin on my stomach my knees, my left shoulder everything was bleeding but as scratch bleeding.
My good young friends cleaned me up with a wet towel they got as good as the could.
The only medicine available was a Windhoek Lager with three quick shots of Jagermeister and i was as good as new.
Needles to say i could barely walk for the next two days with blue blood patches all over.

Now i am not bragging--- this is to warn every pilot to check , recheck and know what you are doing before swinging a prop.
I was sore for days but my airy ran and i was happy with my purchase.
Never to late to learn such a lesson at 63 years old.
Now at 66 i have rebuild a Bushbaby with my son that i am flying after 44 years of ppl and passed the KR on to a good friend of my with lots of experience.
If someone know of a semi wreck pm me -- HA HA

cheers
Johan

Mods please put where you think it should be or delete if i am not a good example for the younger generation.
Like Jim, paging through my logbook i remember happenings and i have no money but a story to tel.
Quite a few still locked up in the logbook.
These users liked the author Johan Swakopmund for the post:
heisan
NAMIBIA FLYING COUNTRY
Johan Swakopmund
Taxiing to Clubhouse
Closest Airfield: Swakopmund
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 20 times

Unread post by Johan Swakopmund » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:14 pm

Photo of the wingless KR2 of story above
photo disappeared will try again.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NAMIBIA FLYING COUNTRY
heinrich
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: EGSX
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by heinrich » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:34 pm

Jy hijack glad nie :smt023 :smt023

To add to Spatz's post. There are many SSDRs available that doesn't remotely resemble a few tubes, some rag and a clapped out 2 stroke motor. At a microlight field not far from me is a very nice CFM Shadow that was converted to SSDR. I think it's a brilliant way to fly and given that the back seat is now free (sans safety belt to make it SSDR) there is plenty space for camping gear. And of course in terms of safety, it has a great record.

So SSDR (or part 103) is not what people think.
heisan
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Closest Airfield: Rhino Park
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 64 times

Unread post by heisan » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:16 am

How is this for a Part 103 aircraft:
Justin Schoeman

ZU-FSR (Raven)
Multirotordronepilot
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Grootfontein
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 38 times

Unread post by Multirotordronepilot » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:06 pm

Bliksem thas Corsair is neat.
Commercial pilot,Instructor,Responsible Person Aircraft
Grease monkeyVLOS/EVLOS/BVLOS operator
TopRC HawkerHunter
JetLegend ViperJet
BVM F80 ShootingStar
WorldModels 1/3Cub
ZS-VVR
J3 Piper Cub replica under construction ZU-XXX
Multirotordronepilot
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Grootfontein
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 38 times

Unread post by Multirotordronepilot » Thu May 02, 2019 5:02 pm

Yet another ............. https://youtu.be/f8RZNtGzc0U

One wonders what the life expectancy is of a person who thinks this is a good idea
Commercial pilot,Instructor,Responsible Person Aircraft
Grease monkeyVLOS/EVLOS/BVLOS operator
TopRC HawkerHunter
JetLegend ViperJet
BVM F80 ShootingStar
WorldModels 1/3Cub
ZS-VVR
J3 Piper Cub replica under construction ZU-XXX
heinrich
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: EGSX
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by heinrich » Fri May 03, 2019 12:03 pm

That video is 18 odd years old. Things have moved on significantly since then...

It seemed to be doing ok in the air, not the most sprightly performer out there admittedly, :lol: but you can't blame the aircraft if the pilot can't land it properly...

Return to “General Aviation Chatter”