Garmin Pilot App

Aviation chatter - For ALL Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts

Moderator: Moderators

Pegasus-Systems
Priming

Garmin Pilot App

Unread post by Pegasus-Systems » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:23 am

Dear all!
Hope you can help. Has the garmin pilot app for ipad or ios replaced the very expensive products of the past such as this beast: https://centuryavionics.co.za/shop/navi ... oving-map/
How is the experience on the Garmin Pilot App? Can it do everything a https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/p/520775 can?

I am very much drawn to the large ipad screen of a ipad mini. However if garmin pilot app is lacking features then its a bit of a worry.
Appreciate all thoughts.
Sincerely
Jay
Pegasus-Systems
Priming

Re: Garmin Pilot App

Unread post by Pegasus-Systems » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:29 am

PS. Foreflight seams amazing as well vs garmin pilot.
Lood
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by Lood » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:39 am

I’ve had a look at Foreflight, but haven’t used it, because it is very much focused on the US and quite a few of it most useful functions are not applicable to SA.
I’ve used Garmin Pilot for a year and although more SA friendly, very much the same issues. It uses the most battery power of all I’ve tried and lacks quite a lot of relevant local information.

I have EasyCockpit, which is OK and is most complete as far as important avaition related information, applicable to SA goes. I actually use it quite often, to confirm or find info, not available on other, non-SA specific apps. It is rather cumbersome to use, with lots of menus and sub-menus, for some of the most common functions.

For some or other reason, I just can’t get used to Airnav Pro. It uses maps and although it has many useful functions, I just find it a bit complex.

I’ve tried JeppFD, but apart from being ridiculously expensive, I also found it very frustrating to use and ditched it after the first flight.

At the moment, I use Skydemon and find it to be the most user friendly of all - for me personally. It’s easy to use and planning flights, etc is very quick and straightforward. It also gives the most accurate wind information.
"An airplane might disappoint any pilot, but it'll never surprise a good one." — Len Morgan
V5 - LEO
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Closest Airfield: FYWH

Unread post by V5 - LEO » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:17 am

.....sorry from coming from the side like a bad forward, has or is MGL not in the process of developing a similar thinghy and / or PLB? - thinking of catering for the African market specifically!
In God I trust. The masses are never right, the minority are sometimes right, but the truth is always right.
“One good teacher in a lifetime may sometimes change a delinquent into a solid citizen.” — Philip Wylie
Pegasus-Systems
Priming

Unread post by Pegasus-Systems » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:40 am

Thanks for all the feedback everyone.
I cant recall if it was Garmin Pilot that transposes the JEPP, be it SID ,STAR or approach charts on the map itself?
If I understand you require a subscription plan with JEPP for this of-course. Is it legal to make use of Garmin Pilot with the transposed JEPP on the moving map?
Looked amazing!?!
Jay
Lood
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by Lood » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:57 am

Pegasus-Systems wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:40 am
Thanks for all the feedback everyone.
I cant recall if it was Garmin Pilot that transposes the JEPP, be it SID ,STAR or approach charts on the map itself?
If I understand you require a subscription plan with JEPP for this of-course. Is it legal to make use of Garmin Pilot with the transposed JEPP on the moving map?
Looked amazing!?!
Jay
I stand to be corrected, but I think it is indeed, with the additional Jepp subscription. And then it becomes VERY expensive...
"An airplane might disappoint any pilot, but it'll never surprise a good one." — Len Morgan
Pegasus-Systems
Priming

Unread post by Pegasus-Systems » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:03 pm

Crazy Expensive Im sure!
Im not familiar , Would this setup be legal to shoot approaches with in the eyes of the CAA?
Thanks all
Jay
darryltarr
Engine Still Cranking
Closest Airfield: OMDB FVCP FAGC FAVG

Unread post by darryltarr » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:35 pm

I mainly fly IFR but do sometimes cancel (for shortcuts when the WX is good), descend below the TMA, and follow VFR corridors to my destination (Eagles Creek, Virginia, etc).

My Mini iPad 4 has two programmes: SkyDemon for VFR and Garmin Pilot for IFR (with the Jeppesen subscription for approach plates)

I believe this is the best combination, it's a little pricey but well worth it. You still fly the approach with your Garmin 430 and ILS instruments, but then refer to your electronic Jepp Plate/Chart - No Paper (which transposes/overlays both the Chart and MAP), a great feature

As for SkyDemon, they have also come a long way.

Then to reduce the iPad battery drain (due to GPS usage), I use the Garmin-GLO (Bluetooth), and my GTX-345 ADS-B (both In and Out), which can also show WAAS information (TCAS and WX), and finally, a Cigarette Port USB charger keeps my iPad charged - when required :D :D :D
Last edited by darryltarr on Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pegasus-Systems
Priming

Unread post by Pegasus-Systems » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:43 pm

darryltarr wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:35 pm
I mainly fly IFR but do sometimes cancel (for shortcuts when the WX is good), descend below the TMA, and follow VFR corridors to my destination (Eagles Creek, Virginia, etc).

My Mini iPad 4 has two programmes: SkyDemon for VFR and Garmin Pilot for IFR (with the Jeppesen subscription for approach plates)

I believe this is the best combination, it's a little pricey but well worth it. The Garmin APP can overlay your Jepp Charts and MAP, which is a great combination, and SkyDemon has certainly come a long way.

Then to reduce the iPad battery drain (due to GPS usage), I use the Garmin-GLO (Bluetooth), and my GTX-345 ADS-B (both In and Out), can overlay WAAS information (TCAS and WX), and finally, a Cigarette Port USB charger keeps my iPad charged - when required :D :D :D
Amazing! I love to fly IFR even in VMC. Understanding all the radio frequencies and airspaces is beyond me,just let ATC handle it :> The Moving JEPP on the map is so awesome! I have seen it on a G1000 once when I was a sandbag. Trying to go that route. Thanks for this info. Its maybe old but I read that the apple devices overheat? And its better to use a Android Tablet? The ipad mini 4 is better? Also do you carry say a Garmin 296 just incase.? Last question. Do you mount in on your yoke?
Thanks for this post. Very helpful.
darryltarr
Engine Still Cranking

Unread post by darryltarr » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:55 pm

Just remember in settings (Garmin/SkyDemon), to de-select the option which allows the APP to run in the background (even when not in use), as this may drain the battery. Also once landed, and not required, close the APPs, otherwise they can use a lot of battery drain.

YES, I'm very "old school" (and old too), so prefer original avionics and also like to practice NDB approaches (such as Two-Locator NDB runway 16 FAPM), and will cross-check my iPad and Garmin 430 for added accuracy (RNAV approach also selected in the 430).

My Mini iPad 4 mounts to the Yolk on my F33A. The mount is from Angerole (very nice product)

Glad to help :D

https://avcom.co.za/phpBB3/download/fil ... &id=382540
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by darryltarr on Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pegasus-Systems
Priming

Unread post by Pegasus-Systems » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:00 pm

Thank you Sir!
You have been a fantastic help! May I ask you to PM me your Mobile-Whattsapp. Would love to stay in touch and show you whats happening my end as well and see your updates. Thanks to everyone as well for the replies!
Sincerely
Jason Back
darryltarr
Engine Still Cranking

Unread post by darryltarr » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:08 pm

Pegasus-Systems wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:00 pm
Thank you Sir!
You have been a fantastic help! May I ask you to PM me your Mobile-Whattsapp. Would love to stay in touch and show you whats happening my end as well and see your updates. Thanks to everyone as well for the replies!
Sincerely
Jason Back
Certainly - already done.
Mrb13676
Ooops forgot to turn the fuel back on!
Closest Airfield: FASY

Unread post by Mrb13676 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:35 pm

One little wrinkle that you should be aware of with Garmin Pilot - be careful not to let it use mobile data - mine chewed up 750MB this morning running in the background.
I know that’s my fault but be warned......
Mike Blackburn
ZU-IBM - Sling4 Turbo
Africaflyer
Preflighting
Closest Airfield: Waterkloof

Unread post by Africaflyer » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:44 pm

Hi Guys

I run the Garmin Pilot app on my cellphone and iPad, linked to a Jepessen charts subscription. Its awesome as the instrument approach chart is geo-located on the map, so as you boogie down the airway the chart pops up with the IAF normally on the route- spectacular!

I like it but, here are the downsides:
The flight plan filing only works for VFR- its nice to have though!

You can input you aircraft performance to get a full flight log for a flight which will suck in winds etc, but to input all this for a jet with different climb cruise and descent profiles is EXTREMELY time consuming.

The previous comment about Foreflight holds and is correct- its better for the USA.

Try Garmin pilot- its really really nice. BTW you get weather on it as well, it also does not slow down your iPad like Jeppview does.
MGR
Take off Clearance

Unread post by MGR » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:08 pm

Africaflyer wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:44 pm
The flight plan filing only works for VFR- its nice to have though!

Try Garmin pilot- its really really nice. BTW you get weather on it as well, it also does not slow down your iPad like Jeppview does.
Hi Africaflyer,

I've got Garmin pilot and trying to figure out if and how the flight plan filing works? Does it email the flight plan to ATNS? Or does it link up with ICAO in some way to file the flight plan in turn with ATNS? How do I get my flight plan reference? Much appreciated!
ZU-MGR :D

Return to “General Aviation Chatter”