Just wanna find out about exams nowadays.

Aviation chatter - For ALL Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts

Moderator: Moderators

CessnaRider
Flight Planning
Closest Airfield: FAXX
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Just wanna find out about exams nowadays.

Unread post by CessnaRider » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:34 pm

Good day everyone.

I just have a quick question.
Long story short, I got my CPL/IR back in 2012 and couldn't make it to do my flying test and stuff every year, so now I've got to re-write all my com exams again; so I just wanna know if the books have changed or you still use Avex and CFA and FTC notes and questions. And if they have changed does anyone know where I can find some useful notes online since I don't live in SA to get the new books.

Thanks.
cage
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 239 times

Re: Just wanna find out about exams nowadays.

Unread post by cage » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:37 pm

There are several posts on this topic that a search should find for you.
The syllabus changed, the full details and recommended reading and curriculum is on caa.co.za under the exams section.
That should be able to answer most questions that you have.
Happy studies.
CessnaRider
Flight Planning
Closest Airfield: FAXX
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by CessnaRider » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:49 pm

cage wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:37 pm
There are several posts on this topic that a search should find for you.
The syllabus changed, the full details and recommended reading and curriculum is on caa.co.za under the exams section.
That should be able to answer most questions that you have.
Happy studies.
Thank you very much.
Brand
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: ORTIA
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 33 times

Unread post by Brand » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:46 pm

Knowing both the old- and new (2014) syllabi intimately well (since I taught/teach both), my 2c worth…

You now write eight "VFR" exams, followed by a single "IFR" exam at the end.

Meteorology – very different these days. Much larger international content and those Altimeter error calculations (QNH vs. QNE vs. QFE vs. QFF, True Altitude) you had in the old Instruments exam are now in Met. You definitely need new material – the mix is just too different.

Human Performance – a bit more focus on ADM, but essentially the same.

ATG – a lot more theory involved and it takes a bit more time to nail it. You need new material.

Flight Planning – very different. No more King Air 200 performance. Less mathematics involved, generic aircraft used (looks like Piper 180 and Seneca type aircraft), no more multi-leg PET/PNR’s – a bit easier than the old exams but you need new material.

Radios – substantially easier than the old exam with very little mathematics, if any. The basic formulas are required sometimes. No more Trigonometry and RNAV calculations, no Doppler calcs, no calculating QDM/QDR intercepts, etc. A lot more focus on theory and lots of focus on GNSS. You definitely need new material.

Instruments – a lot easier than the old exam. No more compass swings, no gyro drift calculations, Mn/LSS, Sperry CL2, no altimeter calculations, no probe recovery factor calculations, etc. Lots of theory added – FMS, EFIS, Flight Director, etc. You need new material – the mix is too different.

Law –now separate from Procedures, but still a quick hit. You need new material that has proper separation from Procedures.

Navigation – a lot easier than the old exam. Plotting is now PPL level – no more QTE transfers, multi leg plots, etc. A bit more trigonometry and more theory based exam. You need new material – the mix is too different.

The IFR exam – assuming this is what you are after again, this is now a major challenge and completely new to you. It is a single long exam that includes “Procedures” as you knew it – but it also includes questions from most the CPL subjects (Met, HP, Law, Radios, Instruments, Flight Planning, etc) with a focus on AWOPS and practical application. You definitely need a new approach for this one…

Regards,
Brand
Attitude determines Altitude - in Flying and in Life........

Brand Wessels
southside
Steep Turn Right
Closest Airfield: around
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 40 times

Unread post by southside » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:47 pm

Brand, Avcom appreciates gems like you. Thank you for taking the time to break it down. Im sure many will appreciate it
Artfly
ATC Delay
Closest Airfield: rand
Been liked: 0

Unread post by Artfly » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:16 pm

Thanks Brand,good information there,i also heard they had changed a lot.

Return to “General Aviation Chatter”