My Road to PPL

Aviation chatter - For ALL Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts

Moderator: Moderators

Domzi
Engine Cranking
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:53 pm
Closest Airfield: FAGM

My Road to PPL

Unread post by Domzi » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:10 am

Hi guys i am starting this thread about my progress to get my PPL.

So i have posted on here that i am struggling to study after being out of school for so long, and being so busy and really getting little time to study. I Wrote Air Law on Friday and i got 97%. i only got 1 answer wrong. I also want to add that i did most of my studying through the Fox 1 app. i found it easier to study using the app and the book than to only using the book. The exam was really easy i was done in about 9 minutes. I guess if you put hard work into, it will pay off.

I want to write POF next, but i will do it when they open in January.
PPL STUDENT
User avatar
happyskipper
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Posts: 3746
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:55 pm
Closest Airfield: FQNC
Location: In the cloud

Re: My Road to PPL

Unread post by happyskipper » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:22 pm

Well done Domzi - I re-wrote PPL air-law last year, and, despite consistently getting over 90% on Swales, I just scraped through. But, a pass is a pass, I suppose - although I do carry the book around with me in case something comes up that I need to confirm.....

Keep us up-dated on how the rest of the exams go.... Good luck.
Mark 8)
AKA "happyslipper", "slappykipper" ... etc.. :lol:
Domzi
Engine Cranking
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:53 pm
Closest Airfield: FAGM

Re: My Road to PPL

Unread post by Domzi » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:13 am

happyskipper wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:22 pm
Well done Domzi - I re-wrote PPL air-law last year, and, despite consistently getting over 90% on Swales, I just scraped through. But, a pass is a pass, I suppose - although I do carry the book around with me in case something comes up that I need to confirm.....

Keep us up-dated on how the rest of the exams go.... Good luck.
The questions that they asked in the exam matched 100% with the questions in the Fox 1 Application. i've read on the forum that you shouldn't just rely on the fox 1 application, but it worked for me.
PPL STUDENT
User avatar
cage
8000 Tousand
8000 Tousand
Posts: 8924
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:47 am
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Location: ..for the grass 35

Re: My Road to PPL

Unread post by cage » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:16 am

That's the issue with fox 1. Somehow many mock exams are identical to the actual exam, so you can study, learn the questions, get high marks but actually know fokoli.
Great for passing, less so for learning.
Charlee
Aircraft in Hangar
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:35 pm
Closest Airfield: FAHA

Re: My Road to PPL

Unread post by Charlee » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:50 am

cage wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:16 am
That's the issue with fox 1. Somehow many mock exams are identical to the actual exam, so you can study, learn the questions, get high marks but actually know fokoli.
Great for passing, less so for learning.
I tend to disagree....

If you study both book and exams you tend to know more as the exams have between 300 and 500 questions per subject. This means you actually study more than what you were suppose to. If you combine even more mock exams, say Swales, Fox one and Questions bank, you have so much more material to study. If it is mere to pass the exams you are doing it wrong. But if you get an answer correct because you studied mocks, doesn't mean you just studied those 25 questions you are getting. By studying mocks for subjects like Law is a no brainer. If it comes to Met and the like, you still need to understand what you are studying.
My opinion, mocks is just an add on to material as you still have to study them. Probably depends on your motive.
E816
Airspeed active
Posts: 190
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:26 pm
Closest Airfield: FAKR

Re: My Road to PPL

Unread post by E816 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:56 am

cage wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:16 am
That's the issue with fox 1. Somehow many mock exams are identical to the actual exam, so you can study, learn the questions, get high marks but actually know fokoli.
Great for passing, less so for learning.
+1 I did PPL Met this way, and although I passed first time, now that I've started studying for CPL Met I realise that I actually know very little.
I suggest studying the information in the books properly, and then use Fox1 etc. to understand how CAA asks questions and iron out some small things.
It's not about passing the exams only, this is information you will need to apply going forward.
RYAN NAVION - ZU-DAB
R44 - ZS-RYM
C210 - ZS-MJA - SOLD :(
Domzi
Engine Cranking
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:53 pm
Closest Airfield: FAGM

Re: My Road to PPL

Unread post by Domzi » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:39 pm

E816 wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:56 am
cage wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:16 am
That's the issue with fox 1. Somehow many mock exams are identical to the actual exam, so you can study, learn the questions, get high marks but actually know fokoli.
Great for passing, less so for learning.
+1 I did PPL Met this way, and although I passed first time, now that I've started studying for CPL Met I realise that I actually know very little.
I suggest studying the information in the books properly, and then use Fox1 etc. to understand how CAA asks questions and iron out some small things.
It's not about passing the exams only, this is information you will need to apply going forward.
i know where you guys are coming from. i have used the book and the application and i know that i know my stuff, i guess everyone has a different way to study, i did not use the fox 1 app just to learn the questions, i find it easier for me to learn. i even did a mock exam at my flight school before i wrote where the instructor tried to trick me with every question. even though i have used the app and the air law book to study i know my stuff. I don't just want to pass exams, i want to be a really good pilot one day and that is the reason why i didn't just learn the questions in the app.
PPL STUDENT
User avatar
Brand
1k poster
1k poster
Posts: 1671
Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 4:07 pm
Closest Airfield: ORTIA
Location: Johannesburg, Kempton Park

Re: My Road to PPL

Unread post by Brand » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:58 am

By virtue of the approved syllabus content, it does not matter how hard and well you study for you PPL and CPL - you still know very little after you passed the exams, even if you worked hard enough to achieve 100%. It is enough to get you to a certain basic level, deemed good enough to become a starter pilot.

After that the real learning starts - or should...
Attitude determines Altitude - in Flying and in Life........

Brand Wessels
0735913907
Domzi
Engine Cranking
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:53 pm
Closest Airfield: FAGM

Re: My Road to PPL

Unread post by Domzi » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:15 am

Brand wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:58 am
By virtue of the approved syllabus content, it does not matter how hard and well you study for you PPL and CPL - you still know very little after you passed the exams, even if you worked hard enough to achieve 100%. It is enough to get you to a certain basic level, deemed good enough to become a starter pilot.

After that the real learning starts - or should...
i agree fully with you, a pilot will keep on learning every day of his life, i know some pilots that has been flying for 10 years and they tell me that they still don't know it all.
PPL STUDENT
maske86
Wanna Fly
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:14 pm
Closest Airfield: FACT
Location: Cape Town

Re: My Road to PPL

Unread post by maske86 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:33 pm

Well done! Will follow your journey eagerly - hope to be on it myself soon enough.
Domzi
Engine Cranking
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:53 pm
Closest Airfield: FAGM

Re: My Road to PPL

Unread post by Domzi » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:10 am

so i havent been flying in about a month with the december holidays and so forth. i took the time to studdy my checklists and to start to do some studying. i am actually studying something i find very interesting.Aircraft tech and general. to me this is one of the most important thinks to know as a pilot is to know how everything works on an airplane and how the engine works. i think knowing it inside out will help when you come in a position where you need to make decisions. im actually enjoying this subject allot. im also watching allot of videos. i find it easier to study while watching videos as well.
PPL STUDENT
Domzi
Engine Cranking
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:53 pm
Closest Airfield: FAGM

Re: My Road to PPL

Unread post by Domzi » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:31 pm

Currently busy studying for Aircraft tech. and i must say wow i am learning allot, the one thing i find really amazing is the magneto's, the technology is so old but so reliable and i never know what the purpose was of the magneto's until now =P~. the journey to getting your PPL is really an amazing one i can't wait to open the book again to learn new things.
PPL STUDENT
maske86
Wanna Fly
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:14 pm
Closest Airfield: FACT
Location: Cape Town

Re: My Road to PPL

Unread post by maske86 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:24 pm

Do you have an idea of how your exams will be grouped/ spaced, or are you picking subjects and just going for the exam when you feel confident?
Domzi
Engine Cranking
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:53 pm
Closest Airfield: FAGM

Re: My Road to PPL

Unread post by Domzi » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:12 pm

maske86 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:24 pm
Do you have an idea of how your exams will be grouped/ spaced, or are you picking subjects and just going for the exam when you feel confident?
i basically wrote airlaw first because i am actually flying while studying, i am currently doing Airplane tech & general so i know how the aircraft systems work after this i am doing POF. i think Aircraft Tech & general goes together and NAV and Met goes together.
PPL STUDENT
zulik
Rolling
Posts: 164
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 10:45 pm

Re: My Road to PPL

Unread post by zulik » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:14 am

My school required me to do POF, human performance and airlaw before I could go solo.

I did pof and human performance on one day and then the next week write restricted radio, because the school had a shortage of airlaw study material.

I did the air law thereafter.

Prior to going solo in the gf I had to have completed 5 exams. So last Friday I wrote at &g.

Whilst I am in the studying zone going to write meteorology this week.

I think it is a good idea to get the exams out the way as soon as possible.

Return to “General Aviation Chatter”