Textbook - "The Lore of Negotiation"
http://www.loreofnegotiation.com
WILDTHING
Helicopter getting close
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Reckless Flying

Unread post by WILDTHING » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:23 am

Doesn't sound like a normal training flight, rather introductory flights or just flipping combined with a Huge Ego, either way not part of the syllabus at this stage.

Exercise 3 : Air Experience
Aim: The aim of this sequence is to instil confidence in a learner who has previously flown very little or not at all, to impart some knowledge, and to familiarise the learner with the geography around the training base. This is also to introduce the student to flexi wing flight.

Low flying does occur at a later stage in the training but within a specific framework.

Exercise 17A : Low level flying
Aim: To safely operate the aeroplane at heights lower than those normally used.
(1) Safety considerations and the risks and dangers of low flying;
(2) Selection of the appropriate speed;
(3) Awareness of the danger factors and their recognition;
(4) Transition to low level flight;
(5) Control of speed and height;
(6) Following ground contours;
(7) Effect of drift;
(8) Effect of wind on ground speed;
(9) Emphasis on regulations governing low flying.

Note Emphasis on regulations. Refer to Part 91 height limitations. Lower limit over built up areas or assemblies of people, 1000ft or 3000ft for repeated over flight.
Based on what you have observed, it sounds blatantly stupid and unnecessarily reckless. Such flights priorities should be; 1: Always keep it legal. 2: Always keep it safe. 3: Be an example of Airmanship and impart knowledge and safe and respectful attitude towards aviation. 4. Always make your passengers feel comfortable and make it the fun and enjoyable experience that flying is. 5: Always leave ones Ego at home.
Scaring the daylights out of ones customers/students or pax is being a moron. What if your family or children are in that plane an he loses a donkey low level over houses roads, how cool will he still be. Will you still choose not to name the pilot. I know hat I would do.
I think this should be reported, or at the very least get a respected senior pilot or instructor to confront the guy and tell him face on that he is being reckless and displaying poor airmanship and being disrespectful towards his profession and passengers.
Other its just a matter of when, not if.

Pierre 0845012177.
Wildcat_004
Priming
Closest Airfield: FAOR

Unread post by Wildcat_004 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:03 pm

This must be reported. If you dont, then you are partly responsible if anything goes wrong later. Prevention is better than cure. Report it and get it over and done.
Domzi
Engine Still Cranking
Closest Airfield: FAGM

Unread post by Domzi » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:54 pm

Wildcat_004 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:03 pm
This must be reported. If you dont, then you are partly responsible if anything goes wrong later. Prevention is better than cure. Report it and get it over and done.
true but this will be my word against theirs, as i do not have any videos as proof.
Mustang
Engine full power confirmed
Closest Airfield: FATP
Has liked: 2 times

Unread post by Mustang » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:05 pm

Low flying training manual...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Aviation is a passion towards greater achievement in life!" - Julius Klokow (Mustang)
Domzi
Engine Still Cranking

Unread post by Domzi » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:11 pm

Mustang wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:05 pm
Hi man, i think you are reading this wrong, this incident is not about any PPL training, it is about taking people for a joy ride in a microlight and doing so while showing off if i can call it that and flying very low over buildings on the airfield. Are you trying to explain something or is it me that is not understanding.
cage
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 43 times

Unread post by cage » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:23 pm

Domzi wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:54 pm
Wildcat_004 wrote:
true but this will be my word against theirs, as i do not have any videos as proof.
They get so many complaints and most are unfounded from grumpy plank drivers reporting helos filming their daughters sunbathe with a FLIR camera.
If you can't actually prove anything, and it needs to be unambiguous, then it is pointless doing so.
Domzi
Engine Still Cranking

Unread post by Domzi » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:25 pm

cage wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:23 pm
Domzi wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:54 pm
Wildcat_004 wrote:
They get so many complaints and most are unfounded from grumpy plank drivers reporting helos filming their daughters sunbathe with a FLIR camera.
If you can't actually prove anything, and it needs to be unambiguous, then it is pointless doing so.
i agree that is why i posted this as "a bad experience".
Mustang
Engine full power confirmed
Closest Airfield: FATP
Has liked: 2 times

Unread post by Mustang » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:21 pm

Domzi wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:11 pm
Mustang wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:05 pm
Hi man, i think you are reading this wrong, this incident is not about any PPL training, it is about taking people for a joy ride in a microlight and doing so while showing off if i can call it that and flying very low over buildings on the airfield. Are you trying to explain something or is it me that is not understanding.
Hi Domzi

It is indeed clear from your initial post that the guys were doing dangerous and reckless low flying. I would not have liked to be part as Pilot or as a passenger in something like that. It is really unacceptable.

My intention to post the training manual was rather to indicate the need for low flying activities such as "low level navigation, precautionary landing and bad weather circuit and landing".

My opinion is that some Pilots misuse Exercise 17A to do the reckless things you have observed. I posted the whole exercise description for Pilots who might have forgotten what low flight training was initially intended for.
"Aviation is a passion towards greater achievement in life!" - Julius Klokow (Mustang)
Domzi
Engine Still Cranking

Unread post by Domzi » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:05 pm

I have edited my post, i used different wording so it cannot be confused.
BvW
Rolling
Closest Airfield: FACT FASH
Been liked: 6 times

Unread post by BvW » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:42 pm

Many years ago an instructor took me for a flip to demonstrate trike flying. Began his TO run from stratup over apron and through parked AC. Felt that he almost dived into the ground a few times and banked low level with the wing running through bushes. I am I person pleaser and would keep my mouth shut, but that day I INSTRUCTED him to take me back and land. Wisest words that came out of my mouth during that year. Few months later he killed himself and two others when he flew into the back of another trike(dog fighting) at a 1000 feet.
Jer. 29:11
Pilotwerrie
Aircraft in Hangar
Closest Airfield: Wonderboom

Unread post by Pilotwerrie » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:44 am

I very recently had a great experience with a pleasure flight, taking my 10 year old son for his first microlight flip whilst on holiday at the South Coast.

Being in the Aviation Insurance industry - I did my homework properly before going down.

The operator was very professional, and we both thoroughly enjoyed the flight. We flew around 30 seconds at low level over an empty beach into the wind, and at no stage anything reckless or dangerous. The rest of the flight was all above 1000 feet.

Great experience!
Werner Kruger
Aviation Insurance Broker
DJA - Aviation
083 728 0172
Werner@dja-aviation.co.za
BONNIE MAD
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by BONNIE MAD » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:27 am

Domzi wrote: ↑Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:54 pm
Wildcat_004 wrote: ↑Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:03 pm
Domzi, if this is as serious as you make out, you need to report it, anonymously if necessary.
If someone dies, and you have to face the family in court, do you think "this will be my word against theirs" will be a satisfactory answer or defence.
Give it to the right people who can do undercover investigations, interview past passengers, its not that difficult to get the evidence necessary. Do something rather than not!
MEN WERE MEANT TO RIDE WITH CLOUDS BETWEEN THEIR KNEES
cage
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 43 times

Unread post by cage » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:30 pm

BONNIE MAD wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:27 am
Give it to the right people who can do undercover investigations, interview past passengers, its not that difficult to get the evidence necessary. Do something rather than not!
Who would that be?
The CAA won't.
They will take a complaint with no evidence and bin it.
If you are really lucky, they may call someone and the response will be "I'd never do that" which is where it will end because there is no chance of the pilot admitting it.
Their inbox is full of unsubstantiated, and often wrong, complaints.
Moral of the story, take pics and video.

He'd be better off writing to the operator, for what it is worth.
Where it may help is if other complaints have been received, builds a history but that is about it.
Domzi
Engine Still Cranking

Unread post by Domzi » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:18 pm

cage wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:30 pm
BONNIE MAD wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:27 am
Who would that be?
The CAA won't.
They will take a complaint with no evidence and bin it.
If you are really lucky, they may call someone and the response will be "I'd never do that" which is where it will end because there is no chance of the pilot admitting it.
Their inbox is full of unsubstantiated, and often wrong, complaints.
Moral of the story, take pics and video.

He'd be better off writing to the operator, for what it is worth.
Where it may help is if other complaints have been received, builds a history but that is about it.
correct, as i did not take videos there is nothing i can do. but the wheel turns someone will take videos if they are in the right place at the right time.

Return to “General Aviation Chatter”