Too Tousand
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 12 times

Re: Buy an Airplane

Unread post by rare bird » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:18 pm

Domzi wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:29 pm
Hi guys

I am looking for some info from airplane owners. i am looking to buying a plane in the near future, i am looking for some advice on what to go for and what not, maintenance fees per year ect. so basically i will be looking at a small plane for me and my wife, something with a long endurance and good fuel economy.We are going to fly to places all over south Africa. I'm also looking for some info on the process of buying a plane. thank you guys.
there has been great advice & facts & figures (thanks Ian!)
my advice would be:
1 . hang on a bit (don't jump the gun!) - from your other thread I picked up that you have just started your PPL. (My Road to PPL
 post by Domzi » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:10 am Hi guys i am starting this thread about my progress to get my PPL.) where you alluded to having other commitments as well as doing your PPL - my advice is to rather stick with your instructor & flight school (ATO) rather than buying some fast machine like a Mooney or an RV10 etc and trying to get that on to the books at your ATO.
2. you mention another party involved (your wife). Jim did ask about her bladder, but I would recommend getting her written agreement!.
( I made the mistake of buying an a/c with what I thought was my wife's verbal consent/agreement, but was very quickly put in my place!) (she also did not enjoy flying - brought back memories for her of the bush war in Rhodesia) (yes, I did sell it. no we did not fly anywhere together!)
Spoke Eagle
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: Silver Creek
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 26 times

Unread post by Spoke Eagle » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:12 am

RB you make me think of an add in Car magazine. Something like; Kawasaki 1000, 5000kms, fsh, both wheels on the ground. No accidents. Reason for selling: Aparently do what the f.ck you want doesn't mean that.
Biltong
Rotating
Closest Airfield: FASH
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 0

Unread post by Biltong » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:25 am

Spoke Eagle wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:12 am
RB you make me think of an add in Car magazine. Something like; Kawasaki 1000, 5000kms, fsh, both wheels on the ground. No accidents. Reason for selling: Aparently do what the f.ck you want doesn't mean that.
=D> =D> =D> =D> [-X
If you fail to plan, you are planning to fail! BA Baracus
flysouth
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 19 times

Unread post by flysouth » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:57 pm

Some of the best advice I ever heard, if you are constrained by budget, is that whatever you buy:

1. Define the most common and frequent mission you intend to fly.
2. Do not buy more seats or performance than the most common mission dictates as you will pay one way or another (running costs, maintenance and insurance) for carrying those empty seats around the sky every time you fly.
3. If you occassionally need more seats or performance than you have, hire something else.

As the sign over Carrol Shelby's speed emporium in Venice Beach, California had it "Speed costs money - how much have you got?"

Many years ago speaking to a friend and his wife about the costs of running my 2-seat 150hp aircraft the friend's wife exclaimed with shock "But you could pay for a house mortgage for that money!"

"Yes I could" I answered "But I cannot fly a house!"

That says it all really I reckon!
ibeaton
Taxiing to Threshold
Closest Airfield: Tedderfield
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by ibeaton » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:20 pm

One more thing,

What I did was to finish my PPL, then bought a share in a syndicate, this reduces the capital outlay and monthly overhead, but you share the use. So choose wisely and you can end up with a very reasonable cost to fly.

Having a PPL with no access to an aerie is really in my view a little limiting. So once you have the license, you need the toy or at least a share in the toy or pretty soon your license will lapse because you can only fly for a n hour or so and get the plane back to the school for the next sortie for a few months until it becomes BORING and expensive.

With your own aircraft access, at least the boring bit disappears.

Ian
Vans RV7 ZU-FSG complete.

RV10 QB is under way
Empennage complete
Tail cone complete
Fuselage largely complete
Electrical and avionics largely complete
Finishing kit largely complete
On to firewall forward
Kibim
Taxiing
Closest Airfield: Lanseria
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by Kibim » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:15 pm

I'm not sure if my post will be of any help, but i did it backwards...

I bought the aircraft whilst training. Not a course i would recommend, although owner training does save a few rand, especially in a NTCA/club environment getting an NPL rather than a PPL. Hobby/sightseeing flights in SA, NPL seems to be more than adequate.

Have to agree with everyone who's mentioned NTCA aircraft. I just can't get my head around TCA rules. They're as antiquated as the aircraft they apply to.

The one option that hasn't come up here is the TMG class, which i bought. After months of maths and deliberations, i decided that this was going to be the most FUN for my money.
Brendan Marsay
ZS-OEM : Grob 109
jimdavis
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: FAGG
Has liked: 236 times
Been liked: 238 times

Unread post by jimdavis » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:54 pm

Kibim wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:15 pm
I'm not sure if my post will be of any help, but i did it backwards...

I bought the aircraft whilst training. Not a course i would recommend, although owner training does save a few rand, especially in a NTCA/club environment getting an NPL rather than a PPL. Hobby/sightseeing flights in SA, NPL seems to be more than adequate.

Have to agree with everyone who's mentioned NTCA aircraft. I just can't get my head around TCA rules. They're as antiquated as the aircraft they apply to.

The one option that hasn't come up here is the TMG class, which i bought. After months of maths and deliberations, i decided that this was going to be the most FUN for my money.
Ha ha ha, Kibim (where did you get that name?) You have let the cat out of the bag - your choice of a Grob G109, or 109B is the best possible route. It's just the most wonderful aircraft in the world! =D> =D> =D>

jim
"PPL Manual"
"Flight Tests"
"So Others May Live"
"Flying in Africa" Vol 1
"Flying in Africa" Vol 2
Look inside these books, or buy them at: www.jimdavis.co.za.
Kibim
Taxiing
Closest Airfield: Lanseria
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by Kibim » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:42 pm

jimdavis wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:54 pm
Ha ha ha, Kibim (where did you get that name?) You have let the cat out of the bag - your choice of a Grob G109, or 109B is the best possible route. It's just the most wonderful aircraft in the world! =D> =D> =D>

jim
Thanks for the positive affirmation Jim. Just need to find/make the time now to finish studying and get the piece of paper, so i can fly it more often!
Brendan Marsay
ZS-OEM : Grob 109
Hexapilot
Radio Call
Closest Airfield: Waterkloof
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Unread post by Hexapilot » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:49 pm

Zenair CH 701 (Skyjeep)
No worries about rough strips.
Flies on mogas
Dont need a looooong strip to land or take off.
Fu to fly
Can carry a lot of weight.
Cheap

The downside is that you will be going there slowly, but it gives you more time in the sky. Is that not why we fly?
Going fast
Going up
Say my name...

DISCLAIMER:
DO NOT TAKE ME SERIOUSLY!!!
SaraLima
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FASH and Morningstar
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 9 times

Unread post by SaraLima » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:47 pm

Hexapilot wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:49 pm

The downside is that you will be going there slowly, but it gives you more time in the sky. Is that not why we fly?

Apologies Hex, but I feel you may be making the teensy weensy mistake of assuming that everyone thinks like you do [-X

Certainly in my case that's NOT why I fly.. and if I'm going to be moving so slowly aloft, I may as well drive - that way at least I can stop for a p155. :lol:

I fly because I can get to JHB in a shade over 4.5 hours (from the time I leave home) and to PE in half that time. - This means more time to spend with the family and less time in travel. And also along the way, I can use my cellphone, carry more than a litre of water/Coke/iced tea/Powerade etc. and also eat pizza or boerie rolls and avoid the death-dealing taxis. :wink: :lol:

If you like to fly slowly, then get one of those paraglider thingys.. that way, with a slight headwind, you can be flying all day and not going anywhere at all - 8 hours for your logbook and you've gone nowhere. :wink: :lol: :lol:
There are three simple rules for making a perfect landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are.
I was flying in uniform when you were still in liquid form :wink:

Return to “General Aviation Chatter”