Moderator: Moderators

justinschepetin
Aircraft in Hangar
Closest Airfield: WITBANK
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

CPL General Radio Exam

Unread post by justinschepetin » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:45 pm

Hi Guys, i need some advice on the following matter. I have passed 7 CPL subjects and will write my last one "Instruments" in March on my leave cycle. Apparently I have to write a General Radio exam also at the CAA apart from the certificate you need from Cranfield Aviation.

Does anyone have additional info on this General Radio Exam and where do we get any study material? I have just written the Radio Nav in December, will that be sufficient for me to get a pass or do you recommend any other material?

Thanks in Advance
Justin
Justin Schepetin
Plazzy
ATC Delay

Re: CPL General Radio Exam

Unread post by Plazzy » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:53 am

Hi Justin

I was in the same boat as you a couple months back.
The exam is quite a tricky one so it’s best to prepare as best as you can. The syllabus for the exam seems pretty straight forward but the questions can be super tricky. They require you to know things such as the EXACT order of a TIBA message as well as other nitty gritty details with regards to general radio theory.

I’d recommend using Pilotexams for practice questions however the best study material to use is “The essential Radio” book by Caroline Koll. The book is designed specifically for this exam. You can purchase it online. Good luck!
justinschepetin
Aircraft in Hangar
Closest Airfield: WITBANK

Unread post by justinschepetin » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:06 am

Thanks so much, ill definitely check out that book. :D
Justin Schepetin
chunky
Priming
Closest Airfield: Tedderfield
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by chunky » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:23 pm

Plazzy wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:53 am
I’d recommend using Pilotexams for practice questions however the best study material to use is “The essential Radio” book by Caroline Koll. The book is designed specifically for this exam.
:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
Beech Bum
Lining Up
Closest Airfield: Caledon

Unread post by Beech Bum » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:37 am

Hi Guys
I am ready to start studying for CPL, any advise on how to proceed. Is it better to study all subjects and then write all at the same time? Can one write say two per month and book exam dates say six months ahead? Also what is best sequence for doing subjects?
Regards
Gert
Brand
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: ORTIA
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 7 times

Unread post by Brand » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:02 pm

Beech Bum wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:37 am
Hi Guys
I am ready to start studying for CPL, any advise on how to proceed. Is it better to study all subjects and then write all at the same time? Can one write say two per month and book exam dates say six months ahead? Also what is best sequence for doing subjects?
Regards
Gert
Hallo Gert – I have a “few” years of experience with assisting students through the process, so here is my 2c worth. Let’s hope I do know what I am talking about… :twisted:

Nowadays (since the removal of the old “limited sittings” rules, when we all studied at least 5 subjects at the same time) it is much more feasible to tackle one subject at a time. I would suggest you study, prep and write them one after the other – that way my students get through the examination process much faster. I would also suggest you study and prepare for the exam first – and make an exam booking when you are close to completion of the subject specific preparation. Generally around a week or two/three in advance - no need to book six months in advance… The CAA examination centre can be quite cyclic at times – varying from bookings being available at quite short notice, to much longer waiting periods depending on demand.

You have 18 months to pass all 8 the exams, from the date that you pass your first one. You can write them in any sequence if you choose to, but some do build on other subjects.

I would suggest the following sequence:

Human Performance
Meteorology
Law
Instruments
Flight Planning
ATG
Radio Aids
Navigation General

After this you still need to write a General Radio Licence exam – and the rather challenging IFR exam, if you want to do your IFR Rating.

Regards,
Brand
Attitude determines Altitude - in Flying and in Life........

Brand Wessels
Beech Bum
Lining Up
Closest Airfield: Caledon

Unread post by Beech Bum » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:16 pm

Hi Brand
Baie dankie, vir waardevolle inligting.
Groete
Gert
Hop Harrigan
1k poster
1k poster
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Unread post by Hop Harrigan » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:34 pm

Plazzy wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:53 am
Hi Justin

I was in the same boat as you a couple months back.
The exam is quite a tricky one so it’s best to prepare as best as you can. The syllabus for the exam seems pretty straight forward but the questions can be super tricky. They require you to know things such as the EXACT order of a TIBA message as well as other nitty gritty details with regards to general radio theory.

I’d recommend using Pilotexams for practice questions however the best study material to use is “The essential Radio” book by Caroline Koll. The book is designed specifically for this exam. You can purchase it online. Good luck!
Dammit!... I won’t be able to sleep till you tell me what the EXACT order of a TIBA message is....pleeeeze!
Hop
There is no gravity...the Earth sucks
Koosvr
Aircraft in Hangar
Closest Airfield: Port Alfred

Unread post by Koosvr » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:38 pm

CAA Similator (caasim.co.za) now offers PPL, CPL and ATPL students/pilot Free Registration, Free Bookings and Free Mock exams including IR and GR. This is their pre-launch special for a limited period only. Fee free and visit www.caasim.co.za while it's FREE.

Return to “General Aviation Chatter”