Ethiopian warbirds

Aviation chatter - For ALL Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
photon
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Posts: 6375
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:08 pm
Closest Airfield: Lanseria
Location: Gauteng
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 89 times

Ethiopian warbirds

Unread post by photon » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:08 pm

I recently found a copy of the April 1996 issue of Aero Africa magazine.
In an article the late John Miller relates how a South African company tendered for the purchase of a number of surplus military planes from the Ethiopian Air Force.
Included in the package were several Saab 91 Safir trainers, two Saab B17 bombers, a Fairey Firefly FR1 and a Firefly T2 trainer.
At the end of the article it is stated that " in April the aircraft deemed movable were being dismantled for shipping to South Africa;
the collection is destined for Johannesburg were an extensive survey will be carried out and some of the aircraft sold"
Does anyone know if these aircraft ever arrived in SA and if so, what happened to them ?

ImageEthio__20190203_01a-res by omer mees, on Flickr
User avatar
michael_v
Power on stall
Posts: 340
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:11 am
Closest Airfield: HMS FAKR
Location: Where the propeller takes me!
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Ethiopian warbirds

Unread post by michael_v » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:02 pm

2 SAAB 91's ended up at FAKR, one subsequently was written off couple of years ago.
Bearcat
thirty thousand
thirty thousand
Posts: 31050
Joined: Mon May 09, 2005 11:51 pm
Closest Airfield: Grand Central
Location: JHB
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 501 times

Re: Ethiopian warbirds

Unread post by Bearcat » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:29 pm

One of the Fireflys seems to have ended up at the AMPAA Museuem Melum-Villoroche in France
Image
Bearcat
thirty thousand
thirty thousand
Posts: 31050
Joined: Mon May 09, 2005 11:51 pm
Closest Airfield: Grand Central
Location: JHB
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 501 times

Re: Ethiopian warbirds

Unread post by Bearcat » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:33 pm

Also, one of the SAAB 17 bombers was restored to flight
Image
Bearcat
thirty thousand
thirty thousand
Posts: 31050
Joined: Mon May 09, 2005 11:51 pm
Closest Airfield: Grand Central
Location: JHB
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 501 times

Re: Ethiopian warbirds

Unread post by Bearcat » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:54 pm

One of the T-28's (T-28A) recovered was restored to flying condition down in the Cape .. but I am not sure if it was ever registered or flown due to paper work issues
User avatar
Spoke Eagle
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Posts: 2050
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:00 pm
Closest Airfield: Silver Creek
Location: Rustenburg
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 26 times

Re: Ethiopian warbirds

Unread post by Spoke Eagle » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:56 pm

Geez but its ugly :shock:
Bearcat
thirty thousand
thirty thousand
Posts: 31050
Joined: Mon May 09, 2005 11:51 pm
Closest Airfield: Grand Central
Location: JHB
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 501 times

Re: Ethiopian warbirds

Unread post by Bearcat » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:59 pm

Spoke Eagle wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:56 pm
Geez but its ugly :shock:
As its part of Sweden's aviation history I am sure they love it as only a mother could :lol:
User avatar
photon
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Posts: 6375
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:08 pm
Closest Airfield: Lanseria
Location: Gauteng
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 89 times

Re: Ethiopian warbirds

Unread post by photon » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:21 pm

Bearcat wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:54 pm
One of the T-28's (T-28A) recovered was restored to flying condition down in the Cape .. but I am not sure if it was ever registered or flown due to paper work issues
Thanks for all the info guys :D :D

The package did indeed also include T-28 Trojans.
I found a pic on the web of an ex Ethiopian Air Force T-28 Trojan take at Krugersdorp in Oct 2003.
Maybe that is the one you are referring to Bruce.
Photo credit for the pic to Ray Barber.

Image25057152800_7a056bace3_b by omer mees, on Flickr
User avatar
GL
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Posts: 9127
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:08 am
Closest Airfield: FACT
Location: Lost for words
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 73 times

Re: Ethiopian warbirds

Unread post by GL » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:38 pm

Whatever happened to all the EX EAF airframes in John Sayers plot near Northgate?
Our body is made to move, and our mind is made to connect with other people.
– Sjur Nesheim, Norwegian mountaineer

The essentials to happiness:
• someone to love,
• something to do,
• something to hope for

Guy Leitch
Bearcat
thirty thousand
thirty thousand
Posts: 31050
Joined: Mon May 09, 2005 11:51 pm
Closest Airfield: Grand Central
Location: JHB
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 501 times

Re: Ethiopian warbirds

Unread post by Bearcat » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:40 pm

GL wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:38 pm
Whatever happened to all the EX EAF airframes in John Sayers plot near Northgate?
These are the ones under discussion
User avatar
Bugs
Radio Call
Posts: 288
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:21 am
Closest Airfield: FAPE
Location: Port Elizabeth
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Ethiopian warbirds

Unread post by Bugs » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:51 pm

There was also a Stinson L5 Sentinal on which I made an offer.
Apparently it never arrived due hto either war or political problem. I do not remember which.
The Sky is not the end, it is just the beginning of your adventure.
Real Aeroplanes Have Propellers.
User avatar
117
Taxiing to Threshold
Posts: 458
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:49 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 5 times

Re: Ethiopian warbirds

Unread post by 117 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:16 pm

I visited the farm in the Hekpoort valley a number of years ago, probably 10 years ago or so.

During the visit I noticed a T33 (shooting star) airframe which I believe was part of the EAF fleet, as well as various other interesting items. Of these included (as I understod it to be) a DeHaviland Dove which was personally donated to Haile Selassie from Queen Elizabeth (the mum if I recall).
Other interesting bits were complete Vampire engines (goblin's I think?) as well as a few Merlin engines in various stages of completion and never run (all wrapped in grease proof paper) as well as whole engine blocks, pistons etc all new for the Merlin engines.
I heard that all the T-28's flying in SA were from the EAF - not sure if this actually the case?

The story went that the entire EAF was purchased, from tooling stores, parts division and the ammo stores too. Although the latter I didnt get a tour of the hanger where these were stored to see if it was true or not.

The aircraft parked in the flying hanger were particularly well looked after, which included a T-28, Harvard (yellow with german airforce insignia), Monster pitts (was purple in colour if I recall?), Stagger wing, J3 cub etc.

How I ended up visiting the farm is another story altogether...
User avatar
flysouth
1k poster
1k poster
Posts: 1675
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:16 pm
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Location: Randburg
Has liked: 53 times
Been liked: 21 times

Re: Ethiopian warbirds

Unread post by flysouth » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:46 pm

I was tipped off to the raid the cops did on the premises where these aircraft were stored, near Northgate Mall, Randburg.

I took a bunch of pics of the Keystone Cops at work with the aircraft and armamaments!

http://www.flysouth.co.za/gallery_selebi_raid/
User avatar
photon
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Posts: 6375
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:08 pm
Closest Airfield: Lanseria
Location: Gauteng
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 89 times

Re: Ethiopian warbirds

Unread post by photon » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:57 pm

flysouth wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:46 pm
I was tipped off to the raid the cops did on the premises where these aircraft were stored, near Northgate Mall, Randburg.

I took a bunch of pics of the Keystone Cops at work with the aircraft and armamaments!

http://www.flysouth.co.za/gallery_selebi_raid/
These pics definitely prove that all these planes did arrive in SA.
Thanks very much for this info, much appreciated :D :D
Bearcat
thirty thousand
thirty thousand
Posts: 31050
Joined: Mon May 09, 2005 11:51 pm
Closest Airfield: Grand Central
Location: JHB
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 501 times

Re: Ethiopian warbirds

Unread post by Bearcat » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:12 pm

117 wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:16 pm
I visited the farm in the Hekpoort valley a number of years ago, probably 10 years ago or so.

During the visit I noticed a T33 (shooting star) airframe which I believe was part of the EAF fleet, as well as various other interesting items. Of these included (as I understod it to be) a DeHaviland Dove which was personally donated to Haile Selassie from Queen Elizabeth (the mum if I recall).
Other interesting bits were complete Vampire engines (goblin's I think?) as well as a few Merlin engines in various stages of completion and never run (all wrapped in grease proof paper) as well as whole engine blocks, pistons etc all new for the Merlin engines.
I heard that all the T-28's flying in SA were from the EAF - not sure if this actually the case?

The story went that the entire EAF was purchased, from tooling stores, parts division and the ammo stores too. Although the latter I didnt get a tour of the hanger where these were stored to see if it was true or not.

The aircraft parked in the flying hanger were particularly well looked after, which included a T-28, Harvard (yellow with german airforce insignia), Monster pitts (was purple in colour if I recall?), Stagger wing, J3 cub etc.

How I ended up visiting the farm is another story altogether...
Just a point if order .. none of the flying T-28's in SA are ex EAF.. there is one restored EAF example in the W Cape but as far as I know has never flown

Return to “General Aviation Chatter”