Moderator: Moderators

Globex
Engine Started
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Ethiopian warbirds

Unread post by Globex » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:58 pm

HI

I had the opportunity to visit the aircraft collection along with a foreign enthusiast while still stored on John Sayers" property near the Northgate Dome. There were a number of jets in shipping containers including F-86 Sabres and I seem to recall some T-33s too. John had set up a workshop on the premises and where some work was done on restoring the planes. The Safirs were mostly sold and as pointed out some other more notable aircraft sold abroad. I think some may also have ended up going to Australia or NZ for restoration. I have unfortunately not been to John's place in Magaliesberg to see what remains. The aircraft had been bought as is, where is in Ethiopia and had all been withdrawn from service. I think they also had a DC-4/C-54 in the collection and another radial type but think these were stripped for spares and scrapped in Ethiopia due to their state or repair (or not).

If I scratch around my slide collection long and hard enough I should find some photos I took at the time. The late Dave Becker also visited the collection and would have meticulously cataloged the full inventory. I remember being at Wonderboom one day with Dave, walking round when we discovered a P-47 wing on a trailer. Muttering are it was from a recovered example in Papua New Guinea (possibly a Razorback) but the project seemingly went to Australia or NZ in the end for restoration so sadly this was probably the closest we came to getting a P-47 here! I seem to remember John was also involved in this project.

I also have photos taken of a T-28D Fennec of the French Air Force that was shipped to Brakpan Airfield but I don't think its one of the ones that today graces our skies. Dave had ben told of its arrival and I joined him there to get some photos. I need to scratch through my albums and slides but having just moved home they are all in a bit of disarray. Dave was an absolute walking-encyclopaedia of aviation knowledge and I always enjoyed walking round airfield with him meticulously recording all the aircraft in his small black book and photographing everything!

Regards
Morné
Bearcat
thirty thousand
thirty thousand
Closest Airfield: Grand Central
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 496 times

Unread post by Bearcat » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:31 pm

Globex wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:58 pm
HI

I had the opportunity to visit the aircraft collection along with a foreign enthusiast while still stored on John Sayers" property near the Northgate Dome. There were a number of jets in shipping containers including F-86 Sabres and I seem to recall some T-33s too. John had set up a workshop on the premises and where some work was done on restoring the planes. The Safirs were mostly sold and as pointed out some other more notable aircraft sold abroad. I think some may also have ended up going to Australia or NZ for restoration. I have unfortunately not been to John's place in Magaliesberg to see what remains. The aircraft had been bought as is, where is in Ethiopia and had all been withdrawn from service. I think they also had a DC-4/C-54 in the collection and another radial type but think these were stripped for spares and scrapped in Ethiopia due to their state or repair (or not).

If I scratch around my slide collection long and hard enough I should find some photos I took at the time. The late Dave Becker also visited the collection and would have meticulously cataloged the full inventory. I remember being at Wonderboom one day with Dave, walking round when we discovered a P-47 wing on a trailer. Muttering are it was from a recovered example in Papua New Guinea (possibly a Razorback) but the project seemingly went to Australia or NZ in the end for restoration so sadly this was probably the closest we came to getting a P-47 here! I seem to remember John was also involved in this project.

I also have photos taken of a T-28D Fennec of the French Air Force that was shipped to Brakpan Airfield but I don't think its one of the ones that today graces our skies. Dave had ben told of its arrival and I joined him there to get some photos. I need to scratch through my albums and slides but having just moved home they are all in a bit of disarray. Dave was an absolute walking-encyclopaedia of aviation knowledge and I always enjoyed walking round airfield with him meticulously recording all the aircraft in his small black book and photographing everything!

Regards
Morné
I would love to see some of those pics [-o<
photon
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Closest Airfield: Lanseria
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 87 times

Unread post by photon » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:49 pm

We certainly would love to see scans of these slides, Morne.

here are some of the pics from the article in Aero Africa.All pics are by the late John miller.

ImageSAAMS_history__20190208_0001a-res by omer mees, on Flickr

ImageSAAMS_history__20190208_0002a-res by omer mees, on Flickr

ImageSAAMS_history__20190208_0003a-res by omer mees, on Flickr

ImageSAAMS_history__20190208_0004a-res by omer mees, on Flickr

ImageSAAMS_history__20190208_0005a by omer mees, on Flickr

ImageSAAMS_history__20190208_0006a-res by omer mees, on Flickr
Gus155
Airborne from Unmanned field
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Unread post by Gus155 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:22 pm

This T28 and various spares are up for sale.
The niece of the owner, is my sisters neighbor, and she is looking to sell.

longpete wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:32 pm
Deanw wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:38 pm
longpete wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:16 am
No, this one:
Trojan1.jpg

It was at the Delta 200 airstrip. Got as far as being started , and taxiing, but never flew.
Then it must be the same one ... I took that photo at Delta 200 (YPT Aerospace).
Hi Dean!

I spend several days a month at the D200 airfield(skydiving and/or flying), and have done so since early 2000.

As far as I can recall, when the hangar and T28 package arrived from Lanseria area, there were several fuselages/wings in various states of repair.
Some still had faded, I'm guessing EAF, paint and markings, some were partially stripped, and one or two as your example.

I may be wrong (halfzeimers ;) ) but I seem to remember that a set of wings, and one fuselage, were already painted that red/white.
I believe the previous owner up Lanseria way had apparently already got that one rebuild 50% plus along before selling to the YPT guy, Andrew Baldwin.
YPT obviously first tackled/continued with that one.

It was interesting to see the progress achieved, but the initial steady pace later slowed, and then only continued in fits and starts.
As mentioned, the A/C got as far as taxiing, but not flying.
The rebuild project ground to a complete halt several years back.
It would now appear everything is being packed into containers in preparation for the next stage of the journey.

There are a few threads on AvCom giving more details and pics. of the historical progress.

Return to “General Aviation Chatter”