Hostess Training Route

Aviation chatter - For ALL Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts

Moderator: Moderators

Andreas
Engine Started

Hostess Training Route

Unread post by Andreas » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:38 pm

Hi All
Am asking for a friend , her daughter would like to become a Hostie.
Anyone have any advise on which training fascility is best?
Names inquired about so far where Cranfield and EPT?

Many Thanks

Regards

Andreas
lampiesJR
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: Porterville

Re: Hostess Training Route

Unread post by lampiesJR » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:06 pm

Try MATA as well
Matt 6:33
CraigDW
Cows on Runway - doing go around

Unread post by CraigDW » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:28 am

Andreas wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:38 pm
Hi All
Am asking for a friend , her daughter would like to become a Hostie.
Anyone have any advise on which training fascility is best?
Names inquired about so far where Cranfield and EPT?

Many Thanks

Regards

Andreas
Hi Andreas

My Daughter went down that road.
Its a bit more involved than just which training facility to use.
The answer below is a bit more detailed than what you requested, but a young lady who started at the same time as my daughter absolutely hates it and would rather sit in her hotel room than see what the world has to offer.

Firstly my daughter went to selection day for Qatar in Durban as she turned 21,(have to be 21 for international), was selected in the top 3. They only selected 2.
She applied for Emirates but was not invited to selection day.
She then flew to Cape Town for Qatar selection again, they were looking at a different ethnic group, she was not selected.

She did her hostie course with QAS Aviation Accademy in Benoni who were very good.Getting her Crew licence from CAA was a bit of a shock. Photo copied paper torn not cut makes one wonder about the professionalism however life goes on.

She then went to the Johannesburg selection for Qatar again. Was selected but that went cold so she then applied for a Safair.
She was accepted after a fairly tough interview. Very focused on Tattoo's. Have a tattoo even a very small one on your ankle forget it. One girl was sent home when it was discovered she had one on her arm after she had said she did not have one. Honestly have a tattoo don't waste the money with the course.
She started flying with Safair and then about a month later Qatar started with the acceptance process which took three weeks.
Once all the hoops for Qatar had been jumped through and there were quite a few, she then resigned from Safair and departed for Doha Qatar a week later.
She is now working damn hard but experiencing all the world has to offer, tasting other countries food and drink, breathing in their architecture and culture and in her words "I'm living my best life."

Some insights
Appearance - Tatoo's are an absolute no no. (My daughter had a car accident when very young and her lip had a scar which you could almost see when you looked closely. Safair did not worry, Qatar on the other hand made a bit of an issue with it once she arrived in Doha.
Cabin crew can be grounded for breaking out in a heat rash.

Personality - If your friends daughter is gregarious, outgoing and loves life, this path to a future career anywhere will allow her to see the world experience different cultures and find immigration opportunities.
If she is reserved and home orientated she may hate it.

Studying - A lot of people think that a hostie is a glamorous waitress, she/he is not. There is a lot of studying and the pass marks are very high. The main items are aircraft safety systems, emergency procedures, advanced first aid and such and then obviously the hostie stuff.
At Qatar pass mark is 100%. Flysafair redid all the training that she learned from QAS. My daughter said their training was excellent. Qatar's 6 week program was extensive with odd hours being thrown in to boot. Some courses were 6am to 2pm some 2 pm to 10 pm and some 10pm to 2 am. She said their training was very very intense.

Work Ethic - This job is very demanding. Flying domestically is fairly demanding however international is quite hectic. Sure there are layovers but they are not as long as they used to be. (Pilots here doing the same will agree).
Domestic turnaround can be very challenging with only 20 minutes between cattle off and cattle on.
International can be hectic with customer demands for 18 hours but my daughter says its better than sitting for the same time on an empty flight contemplating ones navel.

Discipline - Getting up at ungodly hours, Adhering to the employers very strict grooming codes, rest periods etc. Dealing with people the customer at the back who have paid for their ticket and own you.

I hope that kinda helps the young lady along, I think this path is the best experience one can get for any future career and wish her good luck.
Ever since I was a kid at school
I messed around with all the rules
Apologised then realised
I'm not different after all...
fixed pitch
Engine Started

Unread post by fixed pitch » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:22 am

Most airlines will redo all the training anyway, so apply to all the airlines first
Ray W
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: OR Tambo

Unread post by Ray W » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:23 pm

fixed pitch wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:22 am
Most airlines will redo all the training anyway, so apply to all the airlines first
Not all airlines train people from the start. Retrain staff yes.

I seem to remember that Comair train cabin staff as well
Old age & treachery will triumph over youth & skill
Mrs.K
Wanna Fly
Closest Airfield: stellenbosch

Unread post by Mrs.K » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:10 pm

I'm an ex-cabin crew. I would suggest her daughter just apply to cabin crew openings or go to open days when they recruit. She needs to be 21. They do not take younger applicants.

I would not recommend going to these 'training schools' that prepare you or promise you better chances of getting a flight attendant job. It does not put you at an advantage as all airlines train you from A-Z according to their liking. What you learn at these training schools are very general and a waste of money.

I worked for Emirates for 17 years. At my interview there was 575 applicants and only 3 were chosen. I can tell you now why a lot of them did not get chosen.....

1. Dont wear sandals to an interview showing your latest pedicure. Wear pumps. Be conservative.
2. Dont show your breasts. Wear a blouse. Be Conservative.
3. Dont wear shocking pink nail polish and last night nightclub make up to your interview. Again...be conservative.
4. Keep your hair neat,clean and out of your face.
5. Dont wear short skirt or strappy tops.
6. Keep jewelery minimum.
4. During group activities in the interview dont try to be the center of attention...be a teamplayer.
5. Be punctual. Dont arrive late at your interview. They will not open the door for you.
6. If you have tattoos have it lazered off. If it is a large visible tattoo try another job. No airline will take you.
7. Airlines like a certain 'look'. I can categorize each airline in what they like but that would take all day but to put it lightly you must be attractive and have nice teeth. A nice personality is cute but looks are more important. Then you will say but I have seen some ugly flight attendants? Trust me that lady was perhaps once pretty but just gave up.
8.Also understand that you will fly a lot. It is best to be single when you join. There is nothing worse than seeing a new recruit not engaging with others because she is once again at home speaking on the phone to the needy boyfriend that misses her. In fact your first 3 years try to just enjoy flying and what it offers.
9. Prepare answers for possible questions.
Fransw
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: Pretoria

Unread post by Fransw » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:31 pm

Mrs.K wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:10 pm
I'm an ex-cabin crew. I would suggest her daughter just apply to cabin crew openings or go to open days when they recruit. She needs to be 21. They do not take younger applicants.

I would not recommend going to these 'training schools' that prepare you or promise you better chances of getting a flight attendant job. It does not put you at an advantage as all airlines train you from A-Z according to their liking. What you learn at these training schools are very general and a waste of money.

I worked for Emirates for 17 years. At my interview there was 575 applicants and only 3 were chosen. I can tell you now why a lot of them did not get chosen.....

1. Dont wear sandals to an interview showing your latest pedicure. Wear pumps. Be conservative.
2. Dont show your breasts. Wear a blouse. Be Conservative.
3. Dont wear shocking pink nail polish and last night nightclub make up to your interview. Again...be conservative.
4. Keep your hair neat,clean and out of your face.
5. Dont wear short skirt or strappy tops.
6. Keep jewelery minimum.
4. During group activities in the interview dont try to be the center of attention...be a teamplayer.
5. Be punctual. Dont arrive late at your interview. They will not open the door for you.
6. If you have tattoos have it lazered off. If it is a large visible tattoo try another job. No airline will take you.
7. Airlines like a certain 'look'. I can categorize each airline in what they like but that would take all day but to put it lightly you must be attractive and have nice teeth. A nice personality is cute but looks are more important. Then you will say but I have seen some ugly flight attendants? Trust me that lady was perhaps once pretty but just gave up.
8.Also understand that you will fly a lot. It is best to be single when you join. There is nothing worse than seeing a new recruit not engaging with others because she is once again at home speaking on the phone to the needy boyfriend that misses her. In fact your first 3 years try to just enjoy flying and what it offers.
9. Prepare answers for possible questions.
Are you also a soccer hosti Mrs K?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YN_eu8Jk50o

Return to “General Aviation Chatter”