Decent Affordable Flight Schools

Aviation chatter - For ALL Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
Shay
Wanna Fly
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:45 pm
Closest Airfield: Brakpan Benoni FABB
Location: Benoni
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Decent Affordable Flight Schools

Unread post by Shay » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:26 pm

Hi there,

I did do a search for "flight school" in the forums but the results were a bit overwhelming.

I'm looking for opinions on flight schools that are affordable or "well priced". I know affordable has a different value to different people but I'm basically interested in learning from scratch at a decent school that is not overpriced. I've had some rather contrasting answers to the question of price when I've asked people I have met in the aviation industry.

I stay in the East Rand but don't mind traveling within Gauteng. If anyone can give a basic cost breakdown that would also be great.
PPL and Commercial.

Thanks,
Shay.
mpfari
Engine Cranking
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:21 pm
Closest Airfield: Tzaneen
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Decent Affordable Flight Schools

Unread post by mpfari » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:48 pm

I recommend Komati Flight Academy in Petit,you will not regret.
Taildraggerdriver
Returning to aircraft
Posts: 445
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:04 pm
Closest Airfield: faps
Location: Far west
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Decent Affordable Flight Schools

Unread post by Taildraggerdriver » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:17 pm

Try Potchefsroom,
New management and owner.
Close to joburg but quiet enough so lots of flying, not lots of taxiing
Good runway
Recommended
C210
Cirrus sailplane
AviatorMartin
Flight Planning
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:30 am
Closest Airfield: FAGM
Location: Johannesburg
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Decent Affordable Flight Schools

Unread post by AviatorMartin » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:41 pm

Look at Johannesburg School of Flying at rand Airport.
I am bias towards them, as I work there, but pop In come have a look and I am sure that we will be able to help you and answer any questions you have!!!!

You can also contact us at info@jsf.co.za

Hope to see you soon
Martin
User avatar
Ugly Duckling
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Posts: 5679
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:24 pm
Closest Airfield: Brakpan Benoni FABB
Location: Boksburg
Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 53 times

Re: Decent Affordable Flight Schools

Unread post by Ugly Duckling » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:47 pm

http://www.mach1aviation.co.za at Springs Airfield
Paul Sabatier EAA Ch 575, SSSA, ERGC, ERFC, AeroClub
Long time Cygnet builder
The object is to fly, it does not matter what the object is!
RLE
Take off Clearance
Posts: 126
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:59 pm
Location: Vereeniging
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Decent Affordable Flight Schools

Unread post by RLE » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:58 pm

Decent reliable school , that wont break the bank , have a look at Bird aviation at Vereeniging , they do LSA training as well as ppl on a piper colt or cherokees

Personal touch by the owner /CFI Derek Bird.

Regards
RLE
User avatar
jimdavis
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Posts: 15477
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:46 am
Closest Airfield: FAGG
Location: Wilderness
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 122 times

Re: Decent Affordable Flight Schools

Unread post by jimdavis » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:31 pm

RLE wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:58 pm
Decent reliable school , that wont break the bank , have a look at Bird aviation at Vereeniging , they do LSA training as well as ppl on a piper colt or cherokees

Personal touch by the owner /CFI Derek Bird.

Regards
RLE
I only have a nodding acquaintance with the schools mentioned above, but I would go for this one first - Bird Aviation. It's like going into a shop, or a pub, or a guest house where the owner runs the show. You are almost guaranteed to get the best service.

jim
"PPL Manual"
"Flight Tests"
"So Others May Live"
"Flying in Africa" Vol 1
"Flying in Africa" Vol 2
Look inside these books, or buy them at: www.jimdavis.co.za.
vanjast
Frequent AvComer
Posts: 686
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:08 pm
Closest Airfield: 200
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 6 times

Re: Decent Affordable Flight Schools

Unread post by vanjast » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:21 pm

Without going over the top with prices, I'd put instructor above flight school pricing ;)
If they one and the same.. all the better.
User avatar
Air Bear
1k poster
1k poster
Posts: 1521
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:44 am
Closest Airfield: Rand Airport
Location: JHB
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Decent Affordable Flight Schools

Unread post by Air Bear » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:29 am

jimdavis wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:31 pm
RLE wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:58 pm
Decent reliable school , that wont break the bank , have a look at Bird aviation at Vereeniging , they do LSA training as well as ppl on a piper colt or cherokees

Personal touch by the owner /CFI Derek Bird.

Regards
RLE
I only have a nodding acquaintance with the schools mentioned above, but I would go for this one first - Bird Aviation. It's like going into a shop, or a pub, or a guest house where the owner runs the show. You are almost guaranteed to get the best service.

jim
My Vote too.
I flew the Colt all over the country last year. Great little aeroplane and probably the most cost effective trainer available on the market.

Give Bird a call!
Image
Go Low, Go Fast, Turn Left

Keaton Perkins
(Formerly Rare Bear)
Fransw
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Posts: 4657
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:22 pm
Closest Airfield: Pretoria
Location: Pretoria
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 21 times

Re: Decent Affordable Flight Schools

Unread post by Fransw » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:44 am

Taildraggerdriver wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:17 pm
Try Potchefsroom,
New management and owner.
Close to joburg but quiet enough so lots of flying, not lots of taxiing
Good runway
Recommended
+1

Is Francois still there TDD?
Taildraggerdriver
Returning to aircraft
Posts: 445
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:04 pm
Closest Airfield: faps
Location: Far west
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Decent Affordable Flight Schools

Unread post by Taildraggerdriver » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:11 am

Fransw wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:44 am
Taildraggerdriver wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:17 pm
Try Potchefsroom,
New management and owner.
Close to joburg but quiet enough so lots of flying, not lots of taxiing
Good runway
Recommended
+1

Is Francois still there TDD?
No, he passed away unfortunately
New owner, excellent
Raring to go and getting things fixed and new again,
There is also fuel again, including JetA1
C210
Cirrus sailplane
steff
Flight Planning
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:11 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Decent Affordable Flight Schools

Unread post by steff » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:21 pm

RLE wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:58 pm
Decent reliable school , that wont break the bank , have a look at Bird aviation at Vereeniging , they do LSA training as well as ppl on a piper colt or cherokees

Personal touch by the owner /CFI Derek Bird.

Regards
RLE
+1
User avatar
Marius Schrenk
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Posts: 9593
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:34 pm
Closest Airfield: 300m from home
Location: Inni skadu van n kameeldoringboom.
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 5 times

Re: Decent Affordable Flight Schools

Unread post by Marius Schrenk » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:18 pm

Light sport aviation at Rhino park....Meet Dave Naude 0829753837 in person and you would know why.
Politics attracts crooks and lawyers,most of the time its the same person.
Fransw
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Posts: 4657
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:22 pm
Closest Airfield: Pretoria
Location: Pretoria
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 21 times

Re: Decent Affordable Flight Schools

Unread post by Fransw » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:35 pm

Taildraggerdriver wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:11 am
Fransw wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:44 am
Taildraggerdriver wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:17 pm
Try Potchefsroom,
New management and owner.
Close to joburg but quiet enough so lots of flying, not lots of taxiing
Good runway
Recommended
+1

Is Francois still there TDD?
No, he passed away unfortunately
New owner, excellent
Raring to go and getting things fixed and new again,
There is also fuel again, including JetA1
Sad to hear about Francois, he was a great guy!

Good news about the Improvements though!
User avatar
Shay
Wanna Fly
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:45 pm
Closest Airfield: Brakpan Benoni FABB
Location: Benoni
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Decent Affordable Flight Schools

Unread post by Shay » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:04 am

Thanks for all the suggestions gentlemen! I will look into a couple of them.

Return to “General Aviation Chatter”