Garmin-GLO (Bluetooth) Does it save power?

Aviation chatter - For ALL Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts

Moderator: Moderators

T4flyer
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Lanseria
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Garmin-GLO (Bluetooth) Does it save power?

Unread post by T4flyer » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:53 pm

I use my iPad Pro and EasyCockpit whenever I fly, I have been doing so for years, however on long journeys the battery can get rather low, unfortunately I have found if I charge the iPad with the cigarette lighter adapter and iPad cable I get radio interference on certain frequencies (at frequencies around 124.8 🥺) I usually take a power pack with to keep the iPad charged, this works well. I purchased a Garmin-GLO (Bluetooth) quite a while ago but never really used it as the GPS receiver on the newer iPads are pretty good and I have never lost the GPS signal. However i have just read that using the Garmin-GLO will reduce the drain on the iPad and the battery will last longer, is that true? If so how will that work? I guess the Garmin-GLO’s Bluetooth signal will use less power than the iPads internal GPS receiver, but would I have to turn the iPads GPS receiver off when connected to the Garmin-GLO? Will it turn off on its own when connected to the Garmin-GLO? I’m wondering if it’s worth pulling out the Garmin-GLO and giving it a chance!

Any advice or answers will be much appreciated :D

Cheers Don.
cage
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 77 times

Re: Garmin-GLO (Bluetooth) Does it save power?

Unread post by cage » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:57 pm

The gps on the iPad uses huge power.
Offloading to a glo means you are only using low power Bluetooth and the glo is doing the hard work.
Also, dim the screen a bit or enable low battery mode - it will kill background tasks that also use juice.

Enable airplane mode on the iPad, then manually turn on blue teeth.
LimaDelta
Tripped over wheel chock
Closest Airfield: Kitty Hawk

Unread post by LimaDelta » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:57 pm

Don

I've used a bluetooth GPS for years and can confirm that it reduces drain on my tablet when using EasyCockpit.
The bluetooth GPS I use needed an app to talk to my tablet and phone. It is not a Garmin product so the Garmin-Glo might not need it. Just rememebr to switch off the device's GPS.
The app I use is called Bluetooth GPS, available on PlayStore, I'm sure there will be a similar product for your iPad should you need it.

In terms of the interference on your radio when charging - are you using a USB adapter in the cigarette lighter socket?
I was using one of the cheap USB adapters and got interference on my aircraft transceiver as well as poor reception on my vehicle radio when charging devices. Changed to a more expensive USB adapter - problem solved. Has to do, if I remember correctly, with the frequency regulators in the more expensive adapters vs. no regulators in the cheap one's.

LD
T4flyer
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by T4flyer » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:53 am

Thanks for the replies, I have used my Garmin-GLO before on my old iPad 2, it connects just fine, but I never really saw any benefit on my Ipad Air and now my IPad Pro as the internal GPS's on these models iPad's have never dropped the GPS signal so I basically stuck the Garmin-GLO on a shelf in my study to gather dust :oops:

I have been trying to find out on the web how switch off the internal GPS on my iPad Pro, not much success as it appears there is no simple on/off button for the GPS. My simple mind wonders if I connect my Garmin-GLO via Bluetooth to my iPad Pro, will the internal GPS still be operating and using up the battery? How will I know which GPS receiver is actually doing the work :?

LD, I have tried a number of different USB adapters in the cigarette lighter socket to charge the iPad in flight, but have always picked up what sounds like a "stuck mic" interference on 124.8, particularly annoying on a long cross country. #-o I now usally carry a power pack on longer trips and as soon as the Ipad's battery is down to about 75% plug it in and it holds about that level for the rest of the flight.

Cheers, Don.
SaraLima
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FASH and Morningstar
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 9 times

Unread post by SaraLima » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:45 pm

Hi T4.. I did a test on the GLO for SA Flyer last year.. a few points to note:

1. Cage is right.. the GPS in the iPad draws plenty power and the lower power bluetooth connection from the GLO WILL extend battery life.

2. The iPad GPS is a "consumer version" and only tracks around 2 to 3 (at most) satellites so accuracy is at best around 10m - The GLO tracks up to 12 satellites and we found it accurate to 1m - with minimum scatter (position drift) as well.

So, in answer, the GLO will use waaaay less power, be more accurate and also save on CPU usage on your iPad allowing for faster and smoother screen refresh on your nav app.

Dust it off, its well worth it.
There are three simple rules for making a perfect landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are.
I was flying in uniform when you were still in liquid form :wink:
T4flyer
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by T4flyer » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:29 am

Thanks for all the feedback,

Dusted the Garmin Glo off yesterday, charged it up and will start using it again as it appears it is a worthwhile piece of kit after all. Who knew :oops: :oops:

Cheers, Don.

Return to “General Aviation Chatter”