ZS-NCE

Aviation chatter - For ALL Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts

Moderator: Moderators

henkhugo
Frequent AvComer
Posts: 802
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 8:02 pm
Location: Cape Town, South Africa

ZS-NCE

Unread post by henkhugo » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:53 am

So what is this all about at 1am? Spent about 2 hours flying up and down.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Henk
User avatar
Burner
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Posts: 3807
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:21 pm
Closest Airfield: LIMB
Location: Milan and Algeria

Re: ZS-NCE

Unread post by Burner » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:13 am

Looks to me like a survey grid.
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return"
henkhugo
Frequent AvComer
Posts: 802
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 8:02 pm
Location: Cape Town, South Africa

Re: ZS-NCE

Unread post by henkhugo » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:11 am

Burner wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:13 am
Looks to me like a survey grid.
What I was thinking but at 1am?
Henk
User avatar
Burner
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Posts: 3807
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:21 pm
Closest Airfield: LIMB
Location: Milan and Algeria

Re: ZS-NCE

Unread post by Burner » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:50 am

henkhugo wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:11 am
Burner wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:13 am
Looks to me like a survey grid.
What I was thinking but at 1am?
Less turbulence and smoother conditions for the survey perhaps.
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return"
User avatar
SlowApproach
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Posts: 2571
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 11:01 pm
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Location: Arse-end of Centurion

Re: ZS-NCE

Unread post by SlowApproach » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:55 am

From the time and height, likely to be a thermographic or hyperspectral survey.
Behind every angry woman is a man who has absolutely no idea what he did wrong.
User avatar
Wonko the Sane
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Posts: 3795
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:23 pm
Closest Airfield: Wonderboom
Location: Centurion/Luanda

Re: ZS-NCE

Unread post by Wonko the Sane » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:38 am

Over Koeberg NUCLEAR Power station ... Looking for radiation(leak) perhaps... They (the prince of darkness and kie.) surely need an excuse for the next blackout...


W
I don't care what you think of me! Unless you think I'm awesome - then you're right, carry on!

My flying is not that bad....I've never left one up there..

Andre Dethioux (temporarily in Angola...)
RPL (MR)
Pelican 3
Aircraft in Hangar
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:57 pm
Closest Airfield: FAYP

Re: ZS-NCE

Unread post by Pelican 3 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:48 am

Survey as I was thinking.

Happened about 3 odd years ago, except was going in an east/west direction for quite a few hours in the same area.
User avatar
gerhardsteenkamp
Take off Clearance
Posts: 146
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:07 pm
Closest Airfield: FALA
Location: Randpark Ridge

Re: ZS-NCE

Unread post by gerhardsteenkamp » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:39 pm

Hi All.

Flight was definitely a survey flight, as everyone has speculated.

Having been a pilot for the company that operates this aircraft and having done a similar survey also around Cape Town, the reason for flying at these strange times of night is fairly simple. IFR and Scheduled traffic around FACT.

FACT can't allow a VFR Survey to be done with aircraft in their CTR and/or TMA if there is any scheduled traffic inbound.

This just saves FACT approach and the pilot less to stress about and also makes the flight time more productive as you're not constantly asked to vacate the area to accommodate the mass of aircraft routing inbound daily.

ATNS also won't easily issue a CAMU Clearance if they know you'll interfere with traffic, especially IFR and Scheduled, so to ensure that one is easily issued, these are fortunately/unfortunately the best times to fly!

Hope this answers some questions!

Regards

Gerhard Casper Steenkamp.
The sky is not the limit, it's just another playground

CPL(A) ME/IR, Tow Rating, Tailwheel- and Turbine Endorsed

C150, C172, PA28(140-181), TC-06,TC-07, C82R, C182, C72R, DV20, SR20, BE55, T210, P32T, C42, PA32, C206, SF25, JAB4, JAB2, JAB1, C208
User avatar
Wonko the Sane
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Posts: 3795
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:23 pm
Closest Airfield: Wonderboom
Location: Centurion/Luanda

Re: ZS-NCE

Unread post by Wonko the Sane » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:49 pm

gerhardsteenkamp wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:39 pm
Hi All.

Flight was definitely a survey flight, as everyone has speculated.

Having been a pilot for the company that operates this aircraft and having done a similar survey also around Cape Town, the reason for flying at these strange times of night is fairly simple. IFR and Scheduled traffic around FACT.

FACT can't allow a VFR Survey to be done with aircraft in their CTR and/or TMA if there is any scheduled traffic inbound.

This just saves FACT approach and the pilot less to stress about and also makes the flight time more productive as you're not constantly asked to vacate the area to accommodate the mass of aircraft routing inbound daily.

ATNS also won't easily issue a CAMU Clearance if they know you'll interfere with traffic, especially IFR and Scheduled, so to ensure that one is easily issued, these are fortunately/unfortunately the best times to fly!

Hope this answers some questions!

Regards

Gerhard Casper Steenkamp.
Thanks Gerhard, but it is much lekkerder to randomly spew opinions and dream up conspiracy theories...

https://www.avcom.co.za/phpBB3/viewtopi ... 1&t=215682



W
I don't care what you think of me! Unless you think I'm awesome - then you're right, carry on!

My flying is not that bad....I've never left one up there..

Andre Dethioux (temporarily in Angola...)
RPL (MR)
User avatar
Multirotordronepilot
Frequent AvComer
Posts: 872
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:12 am
Closest Airfield: Stellenbosch
Location: Home or flying in remote Africa

Re: ZS-NCE

Unread post by Multirotordronepilot » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:52 pm

gerhardsteenkamp wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:39 pm
Hi All.

Flight was definitely a survey flight, as everyone has speculated.

Having been a pilot for the company that operates this aircraft and having done a similar survey also around Cape Town, the reason for flying at these strange times of night is fairly simple. IFR and Scheduled traffic around FACT.

FACT can't allow a VFR Survey to be done with aircraft in their CTR and/or TMA if there is any scheduled traffic inbound.

This just saves FACT approach and the pilot less to stress about and also makes the flight time more productive as you're not constantly asked to vacate the area to accommodate the mass of aircraft routing inbound daily.

ATNS also won't easily issue a CAMU Clearance if they know you'll interfere with traffic, especially IFR and Scheduled, so to ensure that one is easily issued, these are fortunately/unfortunately the best times to fly!

Hope this answers some questions!

Regards

Gerhard Casper Steenkamp.
Hi Gerhard, FR24 indicates an alt of 2000ft which is Class G under the TMA-B. So for this specific mission I'm sure IFR and Scheduled flights weren't a factor as in the flights you have previously done for the same company.

I can only suspect that thermal work was conducted as its most accurate in the midnight to very early hours of the morning due to terrestrial radiation levels. But the operation could have been for another reason completely.

Thanks for that detail Gerhard
Commercial pilot,Instructor,Responsible Person Aircraft
Grease monkeyVLOS/EVLOS/BVLOS operator
TopRC HawkerHunter
JetLegend ViperJet
SpiderJets F16
BVM F80 ShootingStar
Aeroworks 100ccYak54
WorldModels 1/3Cub
1/4Scale F100 Sabre(soon)
User avatar
Wonko the Sane
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Posts: 3795
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:23 pm
Closest Airfield: Wonderboom
Location: Centurion/Luanda

Re: ZS-NCE

Unread post by Wonko the Sane » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:59 pm

Multirotordronepilot wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:52 pm
... levels. But the operation could have been for another reason completely.

...
c31.jpg

W
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I don't care what you think of me! Unless you think I'm awesome - then you're right, carry on!

My flying is not that bad....I've never left one up there..

Andre Dethioux (temporarily in Angola...)
RPL (MR)
User avatar
hjs
Rolling from unmanned
Posts: 471
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:54 am
Location: FATP

Re: ZS-NCE

Unread post by hjs » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:36 pm

Or they were doing a LIDAR survey. You do not need daylight for it, as it is done with laser.
Pixel Pilot
"Kaartmaker" van beroep
Die aarde is rond! Kyk net na die kaart!

Hennie Stander
User avatar
gerhardsteenkamp
Take off Clearance
Posts: 146
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:07 pm
Closest Airfield: FALA
Location: Randpark Ridge

Re: ZS-NCE

Unread post by gerhardsteenkamp » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:53 pm

I stated the reasons above. Nothing to do with terrestrial radiation.

Aircraft inbound need seperation from one another by minimum 2000' in that area according to the SOP at FACT.

It's purely for seperation and traffic.

I'm still In Coms with the pilot who did that flight as we are mates and had a good chuckle at all the responses here.

Had a good laugh reading this thread!

GCS
Multirotordronepilot wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:52 pm
gerhardsteenkamp wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:39 pm
Hi All.

Flight was definitely a survey flight, as everyone has speculated.

Having been a pilot for the company that operates this aircraft and having done a similar survey also around Cape Town, the reason for flying at these strange times of night is fairly simple. IFR and Scheduled traffic around FACT.

FACT can't allow a VFR Survey to be done with aircraft in their CTR and/or TMA if there is any scheduled traffic inbound.

This just saves FACT approach and the pilot less to stress about and also makes the flight time more productive as you're not constantly asked to vacate the area to accommodate the mass of aircraft routing inbound daily.

ATNS also won't easily issue a CAMU Clearance if they know you'll interfere with traffic, especially IFR and Scheduled, so to ensure that one is easily issued, these are fortunately/unfortunately the best times to fly!

Hope this answers some questions!

Regards

Gerhard Casper Steenkamp.
Hi Gerhard, FR24 indicates an alt of 2000ft which is Class G under the TMA-B. So for this specific mission I'm sure IFR and Scheduled flights weren't a factor as in the flights you have previously done for the same company.

I can only suspect that thermal work was conducted as its most accurate in the midnight to very early hours of the morning due to terrestrial radiation levels. But the operation could have been for another reason completely.

Thanks for that detail Gerhard
The sky is not the limit, it's just another playground

CPL(A) ME/IR, Tow Rating, Tailwheel- and Turbine Endorsed

C150, C172, PA28(140-181), TC-06,TC-07, C82R, C182, C72R, DV20, SR20, BE55, T210, P32T, C42, PA32, C206, SF25, JAB4, JAB2, JAB1, C208
User avatar
Multirotordronepilot
Frequent AvComer
Posts: 872
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:12 am
Closest Airfield: Stellenbosch
Location: Home or flying in remote Africa

Re: ZS-NCE

Unread post by Multirotordronepilot » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:10 pm

Ok thanks for the further detail. However it still doesn't add up but who am I to question anyways.

Cheers
Commercial pilot,Instructor,Responsible Person Aircraft
Grease monkeyVLOS/EVLOS/BVLOS operator
TopRC HawkerHunter
JetLegend ViperJet
SpiderJets F16
BVM F80 ShootingStar
Aeroworks 100ccYak54
WorldModels 1/3Cub
1/4Scale F100 Sabre(soon)
User avatar
Jack Welles
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Posts: 2418
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:15 pm
Closest Airfield: FACT
Location: Muizenberg

Re: ZS-NCE

Unread post by Jack Welles » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:21 pm

Conspiracies are at lot more exciting than the facts :wink:
Jack Welles (thriller_author pen name)
https://www.amazon.com/Jack-Welles/e/B073VJQTTX
Eddie Haynes-Smart
Textbook - "The Lore of Negotiation"
http://www.loreofnegotiation.com

Return to “General Aviation Chatter”