andycpl
Flight Planning
Closest Airfield: Port Elizabeth
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0

Aspiring pilot's questions...

Unread post by andycpl » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:16 pm

Greetings,

I'm an aspiring pilot, about to get a loan to go to flight school to pursue my dream of being an airline pilot. I have a few questions that I'd appreciate any info on. I'm kind of struggling with how to assure my parent that'll be getting the loan for me that I'll get work after flight school, this will determine whether or not I actually get the loan, so any advice on how to put this to my parent would be appreciated.

I don't have money obviously, I thus can't go to a school like 43 Air School, it's simply too expensive. I intend on going to Madiba Bay School of Flight in Port Elizabeth, doing my CPL multi-engine and Instructors rating there. The loan will be a 7 year loan. Where can I start working fresh out of flight school? I'm open to flight instruction to build hours, I'm passionate about teaching and willing to work hard enough to actually know what I'd be doing and not just do it for hours. I've seen a few jobs in Central Africa looking for low hour pilots for Cessnas, how would one get to the required 500 hours for these jobs?

I know there will be hard grafting involved, I'm a hard worker and will do anything to achieve my dream, information from people in the know would be much appreciated.

Thank you.
Jumbo2016
Wanna Fly
Closest Airfield: Lanseria
Has liked: 0

Re: Aspiring pilot's questions...

Unread post by Jumbo2016 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:30 pm

We were all there at some stage of our flying careers. Hard work, dedication and sometimes a bit of sacrifice goes a long way. There will always be milestones, the 500 on type, the 1500 and then the pic Jet time etc etc. There will also more than likely be some obstacles along the way, persevere and you will be fine.

Don’t instruct for the sake of building hours, instructors are meant to instruct if you know what I mean. Do your ATP subjects ASAP.

I resonate with your post, because I was there once. 10 years ago almost exactly to the day.

Good luck!
cage
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Been liked: 43 times

Unread post by cage » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:41 pm

Unfortunately getting a loan is not a great idea - much has been written on the topic here before.
Getting your qualification is just the start of a long journey, one where you may earn very, very little in the beginning while trying to work your way towards greatness.
Without external support you will most likely struggle to repay any debt while paying for the cost of living.
You really want to be as unencumbered with debt as possible so you have choices.
Jack Welles
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FACT
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 10 times

Unread post by Jack Welles » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:10 pm

cage wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:41 pm
Unfortunately getting a loan is not a great idea - much has been written on the topic here before.
Getting your qualification is just the start of a long journey, one where you may earn very, very little in the beginning while trying to work your way towards greatness. Without external support you will most likely struggle to repay any debt while paying for the cost of living.
You really want to be as unencumbered with debt as possible so you have choices.
Getting a loan from a parent is very different to getting a loan from a hard-ass banker. So FWIW I don't think that all the above caveats apply.
Jack Welles (thriller_author pen name)
https://www.amazon.com/Jack-Welles/e/B073VJQTTX
Eddie Haynes-Smart
Textbook - "The Lore of Negotiation"
http://www.loreofnegotiation.com
cage
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Been liked: 43 times

Unread post by cage » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:15 pm

Jack Welles wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:10 pm
Getting a loan from a parent is very different to getting a loan from a hard-ass banker. So FWIW I don't think that all the above caveats apply.
Indeed but the OP states that his parents will be borrowing the money for him and seem concerned about it being repaid (If I am reading it correctly).
If this is the case caution should be exercised.

If mom and pop are dishing out their own cash with flexible terms then that is a different matter.
Jack Welles
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FACT
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 10 times

Unread post by Jack Welles » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:19 pm

cage wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:15 pm
Jack Welles wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:10 pm
Indeed but the OP states that his parents will be borrowing the money for him and seem concerned about it being repaid (If I am reading it correctly). If this is the case caution should be exercised. If mom and pop are dishing out their own cash with flexible terms then that is a different matter.
Fair enough. I didn't read it carefully enough and his wording is somewhat ambigious. It could mean they're drawing down on a bond, for example, that they can afford to cover or it could mean from a bank that they're standing surety on. I agree in the latter case it would really not be advisable.
Jack Welles (thriller_author pen name)
https://www.amazon.com/Jack-Welles/e/B073VJQTTX
Eddie Haynes-Smart
Textbook - "The Lore of Negotiation"
http://www.loreofnegotiation.com
Marius Schrenk
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Closest Airfield: 300m from home
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by Marius Schrenk » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:34 pm

Doing any Bsc coarse at varsity would also cost you round about R600 000.....but would be spread over 4 years. Here you might need it in less time....and afterwords who knows if you would get a job ?....nothing is without risk in the world anymore,just get started,work hard and be prepared to do things other people would not do. Good luck.
These users liked the author Marius Schrenk for the post (total 2):
ERNIESaraLima
Politics attracts crooks and lawyers,most of the time its the same person.
andycpl
Flight Planning

Unread post by andycpl » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:20 pm

cage wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:41 pm
Getting your qualification is just the start of a long journey, one where you may earn very, very little in the beginning while trying to work your way towards greatness.
Without external support you will most likely struggle to repay any debt while paying for the cost of living.
Your input is appreciated, however, you've only replied to one part of my post.

I said I'd be getting the loan from my father, he pays it off over 7 years, I pay him back gradually. I'm not directly borrowing from the bank, I'm borrowing from my father, who can more than afford the interest on a 7 year loan, but can't give me the cash I need to go to flight school upfront right now.
andycpl
Flight Planning

Unread post by andycpl » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:23 pm

Jumbo2016 wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:30 pm
We were all there at some stage of our flying careers. Hard work, dedication and sometimes a bit of sacrifice goes a long way. There will always be milestones, the 500 on type, the 1500 and then the pic Jet time etc etc. There will also more than likely be some obstacles along the way, persevere and you will be fine.

Don’t instruct for the sake of building hours, instructors are meant to instruct if you know what I mean. Do your ATP subjects ASAP.

I resonate with your post, because I was there once. 10 years ago almost exactly to the day.

Good luck!
Why is it important to do ATP ASAP?

What did you do fresh out of flight school?
Ugly Duckling
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Closest Airfield: Brakpan Benoni FABB
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 22 times

Unread post by Ugly Duckling » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:52 pm

Get yourself an alternative qualification which can generate an income should you have any hiccups in your medical.

A pilot is only employable while he has a valid medical.
These users liked the author Ugly Duckling for the post:
ERNIE
Paul Sabatier EAA Ch 575, SSSA, ERGC, ERFC, AeroClub
Long time Cygnet builder
The object is to fly, it does not matter what the object is!
Multirotordronepilot
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Wintervogel
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 16 times

Unread post by Multirotordronepilot » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:33 pm

Ugly Duckling wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:52 pm
Get yourself an alternative qualification which can generate an income should you have any hiccups in your medical.

Yes as UD says make sure first before processing any form of loan with anyone that you are medically fit. There is a slim chance but it has happened where someone's dreams are smashed because at even a young age they are not able to achieve a class 1 medical. So do that straight away as step 1.

The other guys have all offered very sound advice and no point in me sounding like an echo wrt.

Just one question, what value have you put towards your training to achieve a CPL some guys/gals set unrealistic amounts from the onset and then 2-3years down the line that amount has also increased. If you are on a budget which you should be then make sure the budget is realistic not only now but in 3years from now as well.
Commercial pilot,Instructor,Responsible Person Aircraft
Grease monkeyVLOS/EVLOS/BVLOS operator
TopRC HawkerHunter
JetLegend ViperJet
SpiderJets F16
BVM F80 ShootingStar
WorldModels 1/3Cub
ZS-VVR
J3 Piper Cub replica under construction ZU-XXX
andycpl
Flight Planning

Unread post by andycpl » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:51 pm

Ugly Duckling wrote:

I already have an alternate qualification, I'm 5 years into my profession, I can't see myself doing this for any longer. I took a gamble on it versus going to flight school and it simply wasn't worth it.
andycpl
Flight Planning

Unread post by andycpl » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:09 pm

Multirotordronepilot wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:33 pm
Ugly Duckling wrote:

Just one question, what value have you put towards your training to achieve a CPL some guys/gals set unrealistic amounts from the onset and then 2-3years down the line that amount has also increased. If you are on a budget which you should be then make sure the budget is realistic not only now but in 3years from now as well.
Are you asking how much I'm going to spend towards getting my licenses?
R600 000.00 CPL + Instructors Rating + Cesnna 208 rating
Ugly Duckling
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Closest Airfield: Brakpan Benoni FABB
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 22 times

Unread post by Ugly Duckling » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:28 pm

andycpl wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:51 pm
Ugly Duckling wrote:

I already have an alternate qualification, I'm 5 years into my profession, I can't see myself doing this for any longer. I took a gamble on it versus going to flight school and it simply wasn't worth it.
Keep the option open.

I was the technical manager & electrical/electronics designer for 33 years for a manufacturing company. My "hands on tools" time was limited to building prototypes & occasional repair.
I was retrenched in 2017 & now I back on the tools.

Never say never :D
Paul Sabatier EAA Ch 575, SSSA, ERGC, ERFC, AeroClub
Long time Cygnet builder
The object is to fly, it does not matter what the object is!
jimdavis
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: FAGG
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 65 times

Unread post by jimdavis » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:19 pm

I have to disagree with those who are advising caution. CARPE DIEM - grasp the day.

If you have no plan B then you will make damn sure that plan A is going to work. If you are 5 years into your profession then you have enough life experience to know how many beans make five.

Obviously there are no guarantees - but there are none in life in any case. All I can tell you is that the more you put into it the more you will get out of it.

Make sure you can pass the medical, and then put your head down and give it a full go. You are going to be a winner.

The part of your original post that convinced me you are going to win was this "I'm passionate about teaching and willing to work hard enough to actually know what I'd be doing and not just do it for hours." If I still had my flying school you would be exactly the sort of person I was looking for!

If you are truly passionate about teaching you are going to have so much fun you will wonder if you really want to leave it to join an airline! Flying instruction is about the most rewarding job in the world. You make a difference - and you change people's lives for ever.

Go for it - have faith in yourself - your father obviously does. And let us know how you get on.

jim
These users liked the author jimdavis for the post:
IMPI
"So Others May Live", "PPL Manual", "Flight Tests", and "Flying in Africa" Volumes I & II. Look inside these books, and buy them at: www.jimdavis.co.za.

Return to “General Aviation Chatter”