Moderator: Moderators

plane^driver
Lining Up
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 2 times

Average time to complete a PPL?

Unread post by plane^driver » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:42 am

Good Day all...

What is the average time frame for a student to complete a PPL doing it full time? I know when I did mine many years ago the average was around 4-5 weeks.

A friends son is busy with his PPL in Gauteng, not going to name the school, but he is 6 weeks in and only done 18hrs. I understand weather and maintenance can cause delays but this seems a bit excessive.

Thanks in advance....
Multirotordronepilot
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Grootfontein
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 38 times

Re: Average time to complete a PPL?

Unread post by Multirotordronepilot » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:50 am

plane^driver wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:42 am
Good Day all...

What is the average time frame for a student to complete a PPL doing it full time? I know when I did mine many years ago the average was around 4-5 weeks.

A friends son is busy with his PPL in Gauteng, not going to name the school, but he is 6 weeks in and only done 18hrs. I understand weather and maintenance can cause delays but this seems a bit excessive.

Thanks in advance....
Its a piece of string question. There is just no way to answer it accurately. I would suggest your friend calls the school directly and ask for feedback, then lets talk here about what the feedback is. Just because he is your friends son shouldn't mean it will be a swift process everyone has their strengths and weaknesses. Also please don't put pressure on the kid, in fact that could be a reason.........

Anyways have a chat with the CFI and see what they say.
Commercial pilot,Instructor,Responsible Person Aircraft
Grease monkeyVLOS/EVLOS/BVLOS operator
TopRC HawkerHunter
JetLegend ViperJet
BVM F80 ShootingStar
WorldModels 1/3Cub
ZS-VVR
J3 Piper Cub replica under construction ZU-XXX
AviatorCharlie
Mags Dead Cut
Closest Airfield: FALA
Been liked: 0

Unread post by AviatorCharlie » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:27 pm

Hi Plane driver,

I would say 4 to 5 weeks is unrealistic. Normally flight schools recommend 12 weeks nowadays.

Even 12 weeks is pushing it in with the weather, viz and busy schedules of the flight schools here in Joburg.

I would say that a realistic time-frame would be 4 months.
IKTAV
Taxiing to Threshold
Been liked: 13 times

Unread post by IKTAV » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:34 pm

These days its seldom that I see anyone finishing in less than 4 months.
Back in the olden days, I took almost a year to finish my PPL. Mainly because I was still at school and could barely afford to fly 4 hours a month.
cage
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 107 times

Unread post by cage » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:45 pm

If I may ask, what is the rush?
jimdavis
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: FAGG
Has liked: 184 times
Been liked: 167 times

Unread post by jimdavis » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:17 pm

plane^driver wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:42 am
Good Day all...

Thanks in advance....
Greetings PD, on the face of it I would say he is getting a raw deal. If it is a 'full-time' course there is absolutely no reason he would not be able to average 1.5 hours a day. Allow another 3.5 hours for briefings, debriefing and preflight inspections. So we have now used up 5 hours out of say an 8 hour day - so he has three hours for lectures and self study and still plenty of time for a social life in the evenings.

But this is if, and only if, everyone is working towards achieving a reasonable goal of completing say 50 hours in just over a month.

This means that both pupil and instructor must be prepared to start flying at first light. My guess is that this is where the system is falling apart. They are probably not getting into the air before 8:30 and then picking up the heavy traffic which interferes with circuit training, and then there is a crosswind, and then the afternoon thunderstorms start etc etc etc. Yawn.

Pre-solo training needs early morning calm weather. The pupil has to learn how the aircraft responds to his every movement of the controls at the varying airspeeds that he experiences during takeoff and landing. Once he has got that foundation then some wind and turbulence are great. But if he is not getting the calm air to start with then he is going to take a long long time even to go solo.

The pupil also needs to have only ONE main instructor - and that must be a good one.

Blaming the weather just doesn't cut it with me. It might cause a bit of a ripple around cross-country time but even these can be planned around the weather.

I have a very strong feeling that either the student or the instructor/school is not putting their back into it.

If you, or the student, or his father would like to send me a PM I will gladly discuss this with you and advise you as well as I am able.

jim
"PPL Manual"
"Flight Tests"
"So Others May Live"
"Flying in Africa" Vol 1
"Flying in Africa" Vol 2
Look inside these books, or buy them at: www.jimdavis.co.za.
cage
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 107 times

Unread post by cage » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:24 pm

How many schools are actually geared up for full time training?
Between other students, could it not be a case of doing their best but everyone has different expectations?
jimdavis
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: FAGG
Has liked: 184 times
Been liked: 167 times

Unread post by jimdavis » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:25 pm

cage wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:45 pm
If I may ask, what is the rush?
Full-time courses have a number of advantages over the one-or-two-weekends-a-month deal. By far the greatest advantage is, of course, continuity.

If one is studying to become a doctor, or almost any profession, one goes to university full time - you don't just pitch up when the weather looks fine.

Besides it seems that the original arrangement was for a full-time course. To me it seems that the student is either not putting his back into it, or the instructor/flying school is seriously short changing the youngster.

jim
These users liked the author jimdavis for the post (total 3):
Rotor kopSkinnyJean Crous
"PPL Manual"
"Flight Tests"
"So Others May Live"
"Flying in Africa" Vol 1
"Flying in Africa" Vol 2
Look inside these books, or buy them at: www.jimdavis.co.za.
Multirotordronepilot
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Grootfontein
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 38 times

Unread post by Multirotordronepilot » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:36 pm

Agreed when it comes to practical, mostly but not only then it must be noted that flying falls into the category of perishable skills. So full time is in everyone's benefit as there is no two steps forward one step back nonsense. Every part timer has the best intentions of completing as soon as possible but life always gets in the way and training is put on the back burner, and who can blame them. But full timers know from the beginning that this is their priority.
These users liked the author Multirotordronepilot for the post:
jimdavis
Commercial pilot,Instructor,Responsible Person Aircraft
Grease monkeyVLOS/EVLOS/BVLOS operator
TopRC HawkerHunter
JetLegend ViperJet
BVM F80 ShootingStar
WorldModels 1/3Cub
ZS-VVR
J3 Piper Cub replica under construction ZU-XXX

Return to “General Aviation Chatter”