Gooby
Aircraft in Hangar
Closest Airfield: Fisantekraal
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Market research - Seeking private pilot feedback

Unread post by Gooby » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:13 am

Hi,

I have been away from aviation for too long, and it's been weighing on me lately. I have come up with some of the reasons I haven't been flying much, and have thought about some of the challenges that really make it hard for me to do the things that I wanted to as a general aviation enthusiast and private pilot.

I'd love to know if there are other individuals out there who experience the same challenges. I'd like to chat to someone who doesn't fly as often as they had imagined, or who doesn't get to do the kinds of things that they imagined their PPL would give them access to. I'm happy to share my reasons and challenges, but in the interest of conducting a clean survey I'd like to reserve those until after the survey is completed.

The goal here is to identify potential bottlenecks that keep people from flying, and hopefully come up with a solution that gets people like myself off the couch and into the cockpit. My focus is not on any aspect of commercial aviation, but I won't exclude pilots who are hour building.

If you feel like there are reasons or challenges holding you back from flying as much or how you want to, please send me a pm so that we can schedule a short call. I'm very interested to see where this goes..

Sincerely,
Jacques
Deanw
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Closest Airfield: FACT
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 43 times

Re: Market research - Seeking private pilot feedback

Unread post by Deanw » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:43 am

I'd imagine lack of disposable funds will feature highly on the list.
How come every time my ship comes in I'm at the airport?

http://www.SAairforce.co.za
Typhoonza
Flight Planning
Closest Airfield: FAGM
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by Typhoonza » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:51 am

Got my PPL at 18, planned to do CPL then priorities change, family situation changed had to get a paying job.. managed to fly the odd hours to keep license valid - not good at all -, then just eventually had to make the decision to let it lapsed.. 20 years later opportunity arise and I'm busy re-validating my PPL and a HPPL is also a maybe in the furture
Mustang
Rotating
Closest Airfield: FATP
Has liked: 7 times

Unread post by Mustang » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:15 am

For practice I like to fly at least two times per month spaced approximately 15 days apart. If I am not flying for business I will take 1 hour to do circuits and another 1.5 hours in the GF of which I will do some circuits again. Flew a 7.2 hour business flight last month and another one is being planned now. I have started off to get my PPL due to my passion for aviation and now I am incorporating my business travels with my passion. Yes, it is many times more expensive to fly than to travel by road but the lesser time spend travelling and also not having to cope with traffic on the roads (especially through JHB / Pretoria) makes it much more enjoyable for me to fly from Bloem to the Northern parts of the country and I am much more relaxed and at ease when landing at my destination. This is indeed a huge benefit of private aviation and I am happy to pay a premium for this. I would have liked to fly every week but one must also be realistic on the expense involved.

What I want to get to is that one must decide if aviation is going to work for you and your business by using it to make it easier on yourself... or are you going to work for it by just paying out money for each flight to realize one day that you have spend much more than you thought to and could rather have spend it on buying a better car or even a house.

It is everyone's choice for himself. I have made my choice in passion and also to make aviation work for me by making my life easier when traveling longer distances. Many businessmen indeed regard their personal time as "expensive" and spending one or two days less on the road gives them the time back in the office to concentrate on making more money. Indeed aviation also allowes a businessman to schedule more meetings with current and potential customers in a day as he does not have to set aside too much time for traveling or spend at least 3 hours at two different airports waiting for a commercial flight that are sometimes also delayed. He departs from his office and the departing airport on the time he wants to and arrives at the nearest proper airfield destination he likes at the time that suits him. A car or lift is already arranged as needed at the destination airport and less time is spend as a whole on the road. This is what I mean when I say that aviation should work for me. Although it costs me money it also provides me with more business time on the road with the pleasure that I am able to enjoy flying myself.

(edited for spelling)
"Aviation is a passion towards greater achievement in life!" - Julius Klokow (Mustang)
lawotschkin
Radio Call
Has liked: 5 times

Unread post by lawotschkin » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:50 pm

Hi Jacques,

interesting question - especially if you look beyond the typical suspect of 'low funds' ..

1) Maybe some people don't have a clear understanding of the administrative effort and burden that goes along with maintaining a PPL (not even to speak of owning a plane) and get tired of it ..

2) Being a pilot looks cool on TV and in your dreams .. reality actually is not that cool, lots of sweat and work required to get there .. and some people may be overwhelmed by the complexity & 'stress' involved (starting the X-Box surely is easier than pre-flighting an aircraft and the oily fingers that go along with it..)

3) There is no 'instant gratification' in aviation - it's a loong way before you do these perfect landings and see those spectacular destination ..

4) SA is a huge country .. to get somewhere you need a proper aircraft. I had that 172 for 13 years, after taking it to Lake Malawi I realized - 'that's it' - not much more you can do with a 172 down here so I went for an upgrade .. not everybody can afford that .. alternative is doing the weekly coffee run to Parys - but that gets boring quickly ..
jimdavis
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: FAGG
Has liked: 184 times
Been liked: 167 times

Unread post by jimdavis » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:22 pm

Cause of problem - whisky India foxtrot echo.
Cure - unknown.
Caution - divorce increases problem.

jim
"PPL Manual"
"Flight Tests"
"So Others May Live"
"Flying in Africa" Vol 1
"Flying in Africa" Vol 2
Look inside these books, or buy them at: www.jimdavis.co.za.
Jean Crous
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: FASX
Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 33 times

Unread post by Jean Crous » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:53 pm

jimdavis wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:22 pm
Cause of problem - whisky India foxtrot echo.
Cure - unknown.
Caution - divorce increases problem.

jim
OOoooohhh boy !!! Uncle Jim , keep your whereabouts secret......the wives have a "Hit" out on you :lol: :lol:
Jean.
Cubby Aircraft Factory
New front seat solo Cubby MK2