Moderator: Moderators

AndyHiggins
Mags On
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 0

Life Insurance for Passengers on Light Aircraft

Unread post by AndyHiggins » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:29 pm

I imagine it could vary from policy to policy but as a general rule, would life cover insurance exclude cover when flying as a passenger on a light aircraft? For example, as a PPL if I took a passenger for a flight and there was an accident with the passenger passing away, is there a chance their insurance company would not pay out a life claim for the passenger? If so, could it make a difference if I had a CPL?
cage
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 107 times

Re: Life Insurance for Passengers on Light Aircraft

Unread post by cage » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:33 pm

AndyHiggins wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:29 pm
I imagine it could vary from policy to policy but as a general rule, would life cover insurance exclude cover when flying as a passenger on a light aircraft? For example, as a PPL if I took a passenger for a flight and there was an accident with the passenger passing away, is there a chance their insurance company would not pay out a life claim for the passenger? If so, could it make a difference if I had a CPL?
Having been through this recently, policies don't seem to care if you are an occasional passenger. If you fly frequently on light aircraft then it would pay to disclose it.
Policies (at least the ones I looked at) only cared if you did the flying, flying light aircraft professionally was more problematic.
Some would only cover for death, not disability for CPL's.
It can get quite wild and wooly and pays to speak to a broker.
These users liked the author cage for the post:
AndyHiggins
Falafel
Rolling
Closest Airfield: FALA_LCY
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 27 times

Re: Life Insurance for Passengers on Light Aircraft

Unread post by Falafel » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:23 pm

AndyHiggins wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:29 pm
Just been through this process... get it in writing....

Seems that there are so many variations on this... dont get this confirmation from your broker... from the company itself. Was a clause in mine something along the lines of "fare paying passenger on scheduled airline only"... I had to push them to cover me flying as a pax with a mate, and its only a couple of times a year...
These users liked the author Falafel for the post:
AndyHiggins

Return to “General Aviation Chatter”