Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: FACT
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 135 times

Re: Strict SAA in the 70's

Unread post by Jack Welles » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:22 am

cage wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:42 am
[Besides, every generation thinks the one that follows it is spoiled, lazy and disrespectful.
It's the surest indicator of encroaching old age :lol:
Jack Welles (thriller_author pen name)
https://www.amazon.com/Jack-Welles/e/B073VJQTTX
Eddie Haynes-Smart
Textbook - "The Lore of Negotiation"
http://www.loreofnegotiation.com
Ugly Duckling
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Closest Airfield: Brakpan Benoni FABB
Has liked: 263 times
Been liked: 198 times

Unread post by Ugly Duckling » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:15 am

Smart hostie :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul Sabatier EAA Ch 575, SSSA, ERGC, ERFC, AeroClub
Long time Cygnet builder
The object is to fly, it does not matter what the object is!
Burner
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: LIMB
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 99 times

Unread post by Burner » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:21 am

I do also think the job has become a heck of a lot tougher for cabin crew. In the old days, where air travel was only affordable to middle to upper class customers, there definitely would have been a lot easier clientele to deal with.

Nothing shocks me these days as far as what I witness on aircraft these days.
richard C
8000 Tousand
8000 Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGM
Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 113 times

Unread post by richard C » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:29 am

Not to mention the unwanted sexual advances the Hosties were subjected to.

No wonder they have toned down the "look" of Hosties - they are there to fulfill a specific and demanding task, they are not there to provide drunken businessmen with some opportunistic 'grabass'.

Being white and male makes us not a little myopic to some of the wrongs in the world. Just because some changes don't necessarily suite us, does not make them for the worse.
These users liked the author richard C for the post:
Alan Robertson
Grant all equity and dignity.
Monzeglio Cook + Gibson Architects
Falafel
Power off Glide
Closest Airfield: FALA_LCY
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 57 times

Unread post by Falafel » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:44 am

Chalkie wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:59 pm
cage wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:16 am
They didn’t know any different then and suggesting it was better to treat people that way is prehistoric, how would you like your children being treated with the backward views prevalent in the SA 70’s?
Personally? I still teach the same values. Honesty. Integrity. A handshake is my word, my bond. Respect for your elders. Respect for the property of others. Respect for authority. Bring back corporal punishment and the death sentence.

Look at the land of OZ where they mollycoddled their children. Today they have a serious problem with a disrespectful generation.

In the USA, look at what happened with the 'give them what they want, Supersize me' generation.

In SAA the cabin crew were pleasant, respectful and looked good, compared to the surly, overweight C-D's we have today.

Give me the 70's any day. Bleeding heart liberals have destroyed the fabric of our civilisation.
Interesting take on things considering we (the mid forties) are products of the '70's and therefore we are the very ones responsible for bringing up the misguided youth of today... maybe WE are at fault for the demise of this generation...

Frankly I find my peers (40's and others) severely lacking Honesty, Integrity and a handshake is my word, my bond... dont believe its just the youth who you imply are lacking in this regard... the youth should not be an easy target here... society as a whole has degenerated and not the "new generation" and yes that includes the youth of the 70's
HJK 414
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Closest Airfield: EHTW
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 260 times

Unread post by HJK 414 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:56 am

Chalkie wrote:
……...
Look at the land of OZ where they mollycoddled their children. Today they have a serious problem with a disrespectful generation.

Chalks,

I think the word is Entitled …..
The Australian youth are - in my experience - not really rude or disrespectful - but have an entitled attitude.
I am "entitled" to being served with a smile
I am "entitled" to my parking spot close to the store
I am entitled to ………….. etc etc etc …

As soon as they get the feeling that someone is encroaching on their "entitlement" - then they become belligerent
Not a bad crowd - just brought up with a sense of - I am entitled to ……. or ……. the world owes me ……

JK
These users liked the author HJK 414 for the post:
excolonial
The wisest mind has something yet to learn. ...
cage
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 258 times

Unread post by cage » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:57 am

Falafel wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:44 am
Interesting take on things considering we (the mid forties) are products of the '70's and therefore we are the very ones responsible for bringing up the misguided youth of today... maybe WE are at fault for the demise of this generation...

Frankly I find my peers (40's and others) severely lacking Honesty, Integrity and a handshake is my word, my bond... dont believe its just the youth who you imply are lacking in this regard... the youth should not be an easy target here... society as a whole has degenerated and not the "new generation" and yes that includes the youth of the 70's
Exactly.
We are all a product of what has come before.
It is easy to tut and disparage what is going on, while forgetting how we all helped create it.
cage
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 258 times

Unread post by cage » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:00 am

HJK 414 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:56 am
I think the word is Entitled …..
The modern world has made everything easy.
When you don't understand the cost of the freedoms you enjoy, then you put little value in it.
Rights have become a commodity, those that suffered for them are long forgotten.
These users liked the author cage for the post (total 2):
HJK 414MadMacs
Fransw
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Closest Airfield: Pretoria
Has liked: 186 times
Been liked: 72 times

Unread post by Fransw » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:01 am

Falafel wrote:
Chalkie wrote:
cage wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:16 am
They didn’t know any different then and suggesting it was better to treat people that way is prehistoric, how would you like your children being treated with the backward views prevalent in the SA 70’s?
Personally? I still teach the same values. Honesty. Integrity. A handshake is my word, my bond. Respect for your elders. Respect for the property of others. Respect for authority. Bring back corporal punishment and the death sentence.

In the USA, look at what happened with the 'give them what they want, Supersize me' generation.

In SAA the cabin crew were pleasant, respectful and looked good, compared to the surly, overweight C-D's we have today.

Give me the 70's any day. Bleeding heart liberals have destroyed the fabric of our civilisation.

Lalafel, you are nailing it with your first paragraph!..
excolonial
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: komani
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 37 times

Unread post by excolonial » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:11 am

Falafel wrote:

Ah, and there in lies the crux of the matter. I completely disagree that families are to blame for this degeneration. We have been bombarded with leftist parenting ideology for decades now. It was all encompassing. The age of Che Guevara (that murderous psychopath). People are too scared to buck the trend, watching quietly as the "enlightened" few have changed the very fabric of our society by removing consequence from day to day life.

I think Cage is on the money when he says that the current generation do not understand the value of the freedoms they take for granted, and that should be a good thing, surely we wish our children to go through life with as little suffering as possible? Alas, combine that with the complete dismantling of a value system and you have a recipe for chaos. I don't see the relevance of the apartheid mess to individual responsibility.

No need for to waffle on further, this problem has been known for centuries. We have more laws than ever, but they are unevenly applied or wilfully ignored.

That old fool Aristotle may have had a point:

“For man, when perfected, is the best of animals, but, when separated from law and justice, he is the worst of all; since armed injustice is the more dangerous, and he is equipped at birth with the arms of intelligence and with moral qualities which he may use for the worst ends. Wherefore, if he have not virtue, he is the most unholy and the most savage of animals, and the most full of lust and gluttony. But justice is the bond of men in states, and the administration of justice, which is the determination of what is just, is the principle of order in political society.”

Young people of a certain age will always be apparent malcontents, such is the Biology of human beings. However, the sense of impunity is the variable.
The older I get, the more I am convinced that "A Confederacy of Dunces" is non fiction.
Falafel
Power off Glide
Closest Airfield: FALA_LCY
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 57 times

Unread post by Falafel » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:15 am

excolonial wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:11 am
Falafel wrote:

Ah, and there in lies the crux of the matter. I completely disagree that families are to blame for this degeneration. We have been bombarded with leftist parenting ideology for decades now. It was all encompassing. The age of Che Guevara (that murderous psychopath). People are too scared to buck the trend, watching quietly as the "enlightened" few have changed the very fabric of our society by removing consequence from day to day life.

I think Cage is on the money when he says that the current generation do not understand the value of the freedoms they take for granted, and that should be a good thing, surely we wish our children to go through life with as little suffering as possible? Alas, combine that with the complete dismantling of a value system and you have a recipe for chaos. I don't see the relevance of the apartheid mess to individual responsibility.

No need for to waffle on further, this problem has been known for centuries. We have more laws than ever, but they are unevenly applied or wilfully ignored.

“For man, when perfected, is the best of animals, but, when separated from law and justice, he is the worst of all; since armed injustice is the more dangerous, and he is equipped at birth with the arms of intelligence and with moral qualities which he may use for the worst ends. Wherefore, if he have not virtue, he is the most unholy and the most savage of animals, and the most full of lust and gluttony. But justice is the bond of men in states, and the administration of justice, which is the determination of what is just, is the principle of order in political society.”

Young people of a certain age will always be apparent malcontents, such is the Biology of human beings. However, the sense of impunity is the variable.
Yes you are correct about disregard for laws... but taking aim at the youth or new generation is simply unfair, or do you do business with a handshake and a smile with your peer age group and if not then the problem does not lie simply with the youth :?: The problem lies with us as much as the youth.

Just look at Avcom and see the average pilot who disregards laws of the road, runs off with fuel without paying, breaks aviation laws... open the paper and see who has embezzled public AND PRIVATE funds... these are not youth, these are our own generation who seemingly forgot what apparently they were taught in the 70's which we all miss so much.
These users liked the author Falafel for the post:
MadMacs
richard C
8000 Tousand
8000 Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGM
Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 113 times

Unread post by richard C » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:21 am

Selfishness and Self-Interest are BRAND NEW concepts.

:roll:
Grant all equity and dignity.
Monzeglio Cook + Gibson Architects
Fransw
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet

Unread post by Fransw » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:28 am

richard C wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:21 am

Nope, not new. Old as human kind itself..
Fransw
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet

Unread post by Fransw » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:30 am

excolonial wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:11 am
Falafel wrote:

Excolonel, with this post you're actually agreeing with Falalel's statement..
excolonial
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: komani
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 37 times

Unread post by excolonial » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:30 am

richard C wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:21 am

Your cheek must be sore by now with all that tonguing... I think it is simply a matter of consequence.
The older I get, the more I am convinced that "A Confederacy of Dunces" is non fiction.

Return to “123.45”