1k poster
Closest Airfield: FAJS
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 53 times

Re: Working for SAA

Unread post by Airwayfreak » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:57 am

nadi207 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:46 am
I’ve connected and messaged with a few current employees and pilots with the airline currently on LinkedIn but besides that I’m not sure what to do besides that since I’m not currently based in the country. I’ll definitely continue to look networking opportunities though. Thanks!
There is nothing more frustrating than getting umpteen messages on linkedin/facebook/twitter etc from aspiring airline pilots that you have never ever met and who think you can somehow organise them a job at your company.

Hands up all airline pilots who have received unsolicited messages on social media from aspiring pilots you have never met.
Last edited by Airwayfreak on Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users liked the author Airwayfreak for the post:
Wilco
Fransw
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Closest Airfield: Pretoria
Has liked: 186 times
Been liked: 72 times

Unread post by Fransw » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:20 am

Jack Welles wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:09 pm
Fransw wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:54 pm
jaggedassasins wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:46 pm

Maybe I should have elaborated further on my thought instead of coming across like a grumpy fart. I haven't had lunch today so I'll blame it on low blood sugar :mrgreen:
Maybe I'm also pessimistic, it was also my dream to fly for SAA at a point in my life, however realistically, looking at the state of the airline and our economy in general, would one realistically want to leave the USA, where I think your opportunities for a great flying career are greater, to come here and fly for a bankrupt airline.
Anyway, thats just my thoughts on the matter. Not trying to be ugly about it.
I agree with the assassin here. Rather stay in the US for a couple years. With a bachelor degree and 1500hrs the next step is airlines. But in SA the next step, if you are lucky, is a gig on a caravan..
Okay, so you okes are effectively making a political statement. I get it. Here's the thing. OP clearly has the right to stay in the USA. This puts him in a very strong position. He can follow his dream to fly for SAA. If it all is as politically ghastly as you okes are suggesting he can upsticks at any time and return to the USA. He's single, quite young and thus easily mobile. Bingo, he'll be okay whatever happens.

As an aside: from a flying perspective and the type of aircraft they fly etc AIUI SAA is pretty good.

I'm not an airline pilot so perhaps someone who is and flies for SAA can tell us whether the airline, from a pilot's perspective, is in a terrible state etc etc, ie broken-down, old, unsafe aircraft etc
I think we all agree that SAA is a great company to fly for and for a+ hosties.. But its not easy to get into. Not even with 3000 hours. That's why we adviced the op to stay where she/he is. Get some airline experience in the US with its many many more opportunities and then try again for SAA. If it still exists BTW..Capish

But, if he/she can get a break earlier at SAA, GO for it!

Disclaimer: im only a weekend kamakazi. Please do you own research. Keep on asking questions and stay curious until the day you die! :D
These users liked the author Fransw for the post:
nadi207
Jack Welles
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: FACT
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 135 times

Unread post by Jack Welles » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:46 am

Fransw wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:20 am
I think we all agree that SAA is a great company to fly for and for a+ hosties.. But its not easy to get into. Not even with 3000 hours. That's why we adviced the op to stay where she/he is. Get some airline experience in the US with its many many more opportunities and then try again for SAA. If it still exists BTW..Capish
But, if he/she can get a break earlier at SAA, GO for it!
Disclaimer: im only a weekend kamakazi. Please do you own research. Keep on asking questions and stay curious until the day you die! :D
Hmmm, if you say so - but I was responding to the following:
IMHO, stay in the states, you'll do much better
and
looking at the state of the airline and our economy in general, would one realistically want to leave the USA, where I think your opportunities for a great flying career are greater, to come here and fly for a bankrupt airline.
So, judge for yourself ...
Jack Welles (thriller_author pen name)
https://www.amazon.com/Jack-Welles/e/B073VJQTTX
Eddie Haynes-Smart
Textbook - "The Lore of Negotiation"
http://www.loreofnegotiation.com
nadi207
Wanna Fly
Closest Airfield: KATL
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by nadi207 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:14 pm

Thanks everyone for your responses and advice. I know I'd probably have a better career if I stayed in the states but due to some possible family relocation, I'd like to keep the door to return to SA open as I believe my QoL would be better there. However, that's a decision for down the line. In the meantime, I'll keep building time, working my way up.
Airwayfreak wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:57 am
There is nothing more frustrating than getting umpteen messages on linkedin/facebook/twitter etc from aspiring airline pilots that you have never ever met and who that think you can somehow organise them a job at your company.

Hands up all airline pilots who have received unsolicited messages on social media from aspiring pilots you have never met.
I can definitely understand how this would be frustrating. However, I am very upfront with my connection requests, I state that I would like to ask some questions about their experiences working for SAA and other things across those lines. I figure no harm done, you don't want to answer any questions, just decline the request. Never have I asked for a recommendation or advice on how to get hired at the airline.
Wilco
Take off Clearance
Closest Airfield: LAX soon to be DFW
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 49 times

Unread post by Wilco » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:30 pm

Airwayfreak wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:57 am
nadi207 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:46 am
I’ve connected and messaged with a few current employees and pilots with the airline currently on LinkedIn but besides that I’m not sure what to do besides that since I’m not currently based in the country. I’ll definitely continue to look networking opportunities though. Thanks!
jbayfan
ATC Delay
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 14 times

Unread post by jbayfan » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:28 pm

I have to, with all due respect, disagree with my colleagues IKTAV and Richard Smit. SAA is no longer a great airline to work for. If you have the right to live and work in the USA then you have far more opportunity for a great career there than trying to get on with SAA.

Airlines in the USA are desperate for pilots with the required experience and time to command is a fraction of that at SAA. Consider that FO's at SAA are fast approaching 18 years service with no prospect for command in the very near future. Talk is that there will be no new commands in 2020. The SAA retirement age is 63 but 65 in the USA. Salaries at many of the major airlines and all the legacy airlines in the USA far exceed those of SAA. Tax on your salary, depending on where you live, will be around 30% or less.

Then you have to worry that SAA will actually be around when you reach retirement age. I spent 9 years in the USA, obtained my Comm and ATP there and flew for the US Army National Guard and various private operators. I returned to SA in 1995. I used to be proud to wear my SAA unform and tell people I fly for SAA when they asked. Now the pride is gone and I find working for SAA and living in SA to be quite stressful with all the uncertainty surrounding the future of both the airline and the country. My kids are heading to the USA as soon as they finish studying in SA and I hope to end my aviation career there as well. If not for a very successful side business I would already be there.
C152, C172, C182, C210, PA28, PA30, PA34, 7ECA, R2160i, AC11, BE55, BE58, BE90, BE20, B190, BE99, C501, DC3, DHC6, B732, B733, B734, B744, A319, A320, A332, A333, A342, A343, A346, R44, UH1H
Rotor kop
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand
Closest Airfield: OR Thambo
Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 15 times

Unread post by Rotor kop » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:02 am

IKTAV wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:54 pm
Speak to almost ANY current or ex-SAA pilot. Regardless of our useless government, SAA is still one of the best flying jobs anywhere in the world. And NOT for the pay and “perks!” Nope. It’s MUCH more than that!

Here’s a thought for you: I still have contact with plenty of my friends and colleagues who’ve left SAA for greener pastures over the years. Even after all this time, I still would not change places with ANY of them!

I’ve just returned from a conversion in the USA. The stories our American instructors told us makes one realize that it’s not much better anywhere else. It’s not just SA folks. This whole world is a flippen’ mess! All you’ll do is swop one set of problems for another.
At least in SA we understand our muppet politicians - useless as they are.
I definitely don’t understand the ME crap. Nor do I understand how they do things in the Far East. At least in SA our village idiots are mildly entertaining. They’ve certainly saved me a fortune in DSTV. :lol: :lol: :lol: (Loved the Hlaudi episode on the Zondo channel today. You cant make this sh*t up. :lol: )
I agree 1000%. The bottom line is the Entire world is a mess. Some worse than others but i cant think of anywhere i would rather be than here in SA with an exception for Botswana maybe :wink:
These users liked the author Rotor kop for the post:
ACE MAN
To fly is Heavenly, but to HOVER is Divine
I'm not driving fast - i'm flying low
Wilco
Take off Clearance
Closest Airfield: LAX soon to be DFW
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 49 times

Unread post by Wilco » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:21 pm

[
[/quote]
I agree 1000%. The bottom line is the Entire world is a mess. Some worse than others but i cant think of anywhere i would rather be than here in SA with an exception for Botswana maybe :wink:
[/quote]

Well said. It is such an individual decision. No right or wrong. It's about where one feels most comfortable. Yes, a pay check is a tangible, but there are so many other variables to consider, being close to friends and family, a comfortable familiarity with ones surroundings and the inevitable inherent quirks of said surroundings that only the locals can truly understand.

For me, there is no place I'd rather be than the US with Aus being a close second. It's all subjective and relative. It's about trying to enjoy life and being content. I know it is much easier to find this balance in some countries than others. With that being said, I have met some miserable rich folks in the US and I have met some really happy go lucky lower middle class folks in Central America. I guess happiness is a choice.

Return to “General Aviation Chatter”