Closest Airfield: Brakpan Benoni FABB
Has liked: 263 times
Been liked: 198 times

10 small helicopters

Unread post by Ugly Duckling » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:18 am

Comprehensive lineup of baby choppers
Paul Sabatier EAA Ch 575, SSSA, ERGC, ERFC, AeroClub
Long time Cygnet builder
The object is to fly, it does not matter what the object is!
JCA
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Krugersdorp
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 17 times

Re: 10 small helicopters

Unread post by JCA » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:31 am

Ugly Duckling wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:18 am
Comprehensive lineup of baby choppers
Could keep Whirly in a state of constant ecstacy......
Whirly
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: Ermelo
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 94 times

Unread post by Whirly » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:05 am

I have not even watched and I already am!! :lol: :lol: :smt101

Whirly.
Every dog needs a home and every home needs a dog (or two or three).
Whirly
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing

Unread post by Whirly » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:09 am

Watched it now and once again realised what an incredible bargain an Alo II is. :D

Whirly.
excolonial
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: komani
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 37 times

Unread post by excolonial » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:27 am

Agreed whirly, fun little machines no doubt, but all wildly overpriced for what they are capable of. For the price of a Fama Kiss you could buy a decent gazelle, although perhaps not anymore - it seems they have gone up. My only gripe with the Alo II is its lack of speed, and hence range. Otherwise a no brainer.
The older I get, the more I am convinced that "A Confederacy of Dunces" is non fiction.
Ugly Duckling
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Closest Airfield: Brakpan Benoni FABB
Has liked: 263 times
Been liked: 198 times

Unread post by Ugly Duckling » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:15 pm

The Alo II tailboom is a huge source of drag. Anyone ever thought of covering it in fabric to improve the performance :?:
Paul Sabatier EAA Ch 575, SSSA, ERGC, ERFC, AeroClub
Long time Cygnet builder
The object is to fly, it does not matter what the object is!
Whirly
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing

Unread post by Whirly » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:32 pm

excolonial wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:27 am
Agreed whirly, fun little machines no doubt, but all wildly overpriced for what they are capable of. For the price of a Fama Kiss you could buy a decent gazelle, although perhaps not anymore - it seems they have gone up. My only gripe with the Alo II is its lack of speed, and hence range. Otherwise a no brainer.
excolonial,

It (Alo II) is and has been ideal for me for 20 years now, suites my type of flying to a T. :D I don't want to go anywhere fast and with just my wife and I, the range is sufficiently so that I need to land and stretch my legs long before I run out of fuel. It can run on paraffin, Jet A1 or diesel, so getting fuel anywhere is no problem. I don't want a piston helicopter anymore and I can't afford to run any other turbine one.

I see the video left out the Helisukkel and the Kompress. :?

Whirly.
hugo_visser
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 34 times

Unread post by hugo_visser » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:13 pm

Do not forget the Alo III just a little bigger, small penalty on fuel burn compared to Alo II, big range and payload difference, AND because of the bush war following WORLDWIDE, yes WORLDWIDE, eish, opens doors. The penalty for being a little bigger is compensated for ten times over. The fun and history, the visitors stories and experiences, the piloting skills, when a guy gets into it to feel and his face lights up like a light bulb being switched on, un describable. Pilots, flight engineers, sharp shooters security guys, the list is endless...The reliability and power of the machine, bigger machine but nearly in the same budget bracket.
Hugo.
Whirly
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing

Unread post by Whirly » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:22 pm

hugo_visser wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:13 pm
Do not forget the Alo III just a little bigger, small penalty on fuel burn compared to Alo II, big range and payload difference, AND because of the bush war following WORLDWIDE, yes WORLDWIDE, eish, opens doors. The penalty for being a little bigger is compensated for ten times over. The fun and history, the visitors stories and experiences, the piloting skills, when a guy gets into it to feel and his face lights up like a light bulb being switched on, un describable. Pilots, flight engineers, sharp shooters security guys, the list is endless...The reliability and power of the machine, bigger machine but nearly in the same budget bracket.
Hugo.
The difference in parts and component prices unfortunately is eye watering though and it is too big for my needs, but perfect for yours.

Mine is the cheapest 5 seater and yours the cheapest 7 seater you could ever fly. :D

Whirly.
excolonial
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by excolonial » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:32 pm

Whirly wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:32 pm

It (Alo II) is and has been ideal for me for 20 years now, suites my type of flying to a T. :D I don't want to go anywhere fast and with just my wife and I, the range is sufficiently so that I need to land and stretch my legs long before I run out of fuel. It can run on paraffin, Jet A1 or diesel, so getting fuel anywhere is no problem. I don't want a piston helicopter anymore and I can't afford to run any other turbine one.

I see the video left out the Helisukkel and the Kompress. :?

Whirly.
They are superb Machines, I can think of none better for pottering around central Europe. My helisukkel probably drinks about 40% of the gas, and it only seats me and my ego....

What do you think of the tailboom question?
hugo_visser wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:13 pm
Hugo.
Surely the gazelle would be the best of both worlds, significantly faster with reasonably similar power?

Alo III much more expensive than II from what I have seen.
The older I get, the more I am convinced that "A Confederacy of Dunces" is non fiction.
Whirly
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing

Unread post by Whirly » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:42 pm

excolonial,

You can't really compare the Gazelle to the Alo III, they were built for completely different roles. The Gazelle is also way more expensive, with less seats, and will cost you more to run. Your needs should determine which machine to buy.

The open tailboom does cause drag, but it saves weight. Some are designed to lift more and sacrifice speed, the ones designed for speed sacrifice lifting capability (Alo III vs Gazelle).

Whirly.
Last edited by Whirly on Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
excolonial
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by excolonial » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:57 pm

Ok, thanks Whirly - interesting. I was comparing the III to the gazelle, they are a similar price and operating cost I think? The II is very good value for money, and would be my choice over one of these 2 seat machines.
hugo_visser
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 34 times

Unread post by hugo_visser » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:40 pm

Alo III - Truck. Gazelle - Sports car. Lama, hear super good things, something else. Yes spares prices paid for, 10 times over in experiences/stories shared due to the bush war following, Meeting people, worldwide,opening doors worldwide.Example Estate agents wanting to help you, and save thousands of $ in property buys, sales. Sorry Paul, drifting of topic here. Abnormal thins that it allowed me to do, made a movie, landed at the monument VTH, wedding car few times, events at car shows....
Hugo.
Whirly
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing

Unread post by Whirly » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:27 pm

excolonial wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:27 am
excolonial,

I did a quick calculation, using the specific weight of my Alo, with just my wife and I an our luggage plus the maximum amount of fuel I can then uplift, we can easily fly for 2h45 minutes (±425 km) with sufficient reserve. I never do that though as 2 hours are the max I can handle these days per stretch. :D

Whirly.

Return to “General Aviation Chatter”