Estie Serfontein
Wanna Fly
Closest Airfield: FALA
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Online survey for my PhD - please participate

Unread post by Estie Serfontein » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:14 am

Good Morning Avcommers!

I am doing a PhD in the Management of Technology and Innovation with a specific focus on the South African aviation industry. As part of this study, I have an online (anonymous) survey and need stakeholders from the industry to complete the survey. The survey is quick and convenient - it's a click-based survey, will take you 15-20 minutes to complete and is available at: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/sa_aviation or just scan the QR code below.

The survey is designed to gauge stakeholder perception on drivers of organisational resilience embedded in quality assurance and corporate governance. It aims to confirm/test conclusions made from in-depth research interviews done in 2019.

The study is open to all stakeholders of the South African aviation industry. I have posted on some Facebook groups and contacted prospective participants directly as well, but would like to invite everyone interested to please complete the survey.

Anyone who prefer to have more detail about the study, may contact me:
estie.serfontein@icloud.com

Many thanks!

Estie

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GL
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAHT
Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 477 times

Re: Online survey for my PhD - please participate

Unread post by GL » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:25 am

Estie is a friend (and fellow PhD student of mine). Her study is really useful - as, if I may paraphrase her subject - she is aiming to investigate the aviation industry's safety compliance culture vs its corporate culture (profit driven?). This is actually really important - ie what happens when the boss tells you to go fly when the weather is crappy or the plane has more deferred maintenance items than you are happy with - or even the MEL will tolerate?
This is where the rubber meets the road in aviation - it will just take a few minutes of your time - and add a lot to our understanding of the industry - and hopefully make it safer.
What if humanity is the disease and Covid-19 the cure?
Estie Serfontein
Wanna Fly

Unread post by Estie Serfontein » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:30 am

Perfect paraphrasing. Thanks, Guy!
Roger
8000 Tousand
8000 Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAPE
Has liked: 187 times
Been liked: 428 times

Unread post by Roger » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:46 am

Did the survey. One question. Many of the questions are like 'Should the organisation.....' Clearly in many cases the answer is most definitely, however that is not taking a snapshot of 'what is'. So is my understanding correct that you want to know what is desired and not what is actually happening?
Don’t take things for granted… Tomorrow is not promised.
Estie Serfontein
Wanna Fly

Unread post by Estie Serfontein » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:03 am

Hi Roger
Thanks for the feedback.
Yes, your understanding is correct; the questions with the "should" in it, is to gauge the perception of stakeholders on theoretical concepts to, firstly, see how it aligns with theory, and secondly to (hopefully) develop a tool whereby resilience can be measured in organisations and identify improvement areas.
To take a 'snapshot' of 'what is', one will have to focus either on a specific company, or on a balanced sample of the industry at specific (or different) intervals. The nature of my study is independent from any organisation in the industry, hence why this survey is focused on the ideal. Or the benchmark.
I appreciate your participation!
Estie
jimdavis
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: FAGG
Has liked: 1387 times
Been liked: 1769 times

Unread post by jimdavis » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:11 pm

Estie Serfontein wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:03 am
Hi Roger
Thanks for the feedback.
Yes, your understanding is correct; the questions with the "should" in it, is to gauge the perception of stakeholders on theoretical concepts to, firstly, see how it aligns with theory, and secondly to (hopefully) develop a tool whereby resilience can be measured in organisations and identify improvement areas.
To take a 'snapshot' of 'what is', one will have to focus either on a specific company, or on a balanced sample of the industry at specific (or different) intervals. The nature of my study is independent from any organisation in the industry, hence why this survey is focused on the ideal. Or the benchmark.
Estie
Estie, I have to confess to being somewhat confused. The questions mainly seem to be asking whether organisations should conform to the best business practices. It would seem strange to answer no to most of these questions.

What am I not understanding?

jim
"PPL Manual"
"Flight Tests"
"So Others May Live"
"Flying in Africa" Vol 1
"Flying in Africa" Vol 2
Look inside these books, or buy them at: www.jimdavis.co.za.
Slam and Go
Reaching altitude
Closest Airfield: YBAF
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 94 times

Unread post by Slam and Go » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:02 pm

In the Aviation industry we are judged by our ability to make timely decisions with imperfect information.

Game and Cattle mustering may interest you, there is a very strong clash of the 'make a plan' farmer culture and aviation safety culture.

This is evident in other countries as well, notably Australia which is known for its strong regulatory and aviation safety culture.

Commercial success must come from a safety culture otherwise you end up like Boeing.
GR III C210 B1900 FIGJAM
Estie Serfontein
Wanna Fly

Unread post by Estie Serfontein » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:44 pm

jimdavis wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:11 pm
Estie Serfontein wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:03 am
Hi Roger
Thanks for the feedback.
Estie
Estie, I have to confess to being somewhat confused. The questions mainly seem to be asking whether organisations should conform to the best business practices. It would seem strange to answer no to most of these questions.

What am I not understanding?

jim
Hi Jim
Thank you for your participation! Much appreciated.
During the statistical analysis, the degree of agreeability as well as the emergent relationships between pre-defined independent and dependent variables will be tested. These relationships are also considered in pattern-analysis between different sections of the questionnaire and multiple concepts within these sections. The outcome of such analysis then also determine priority scales for the variables.
jimdavis
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: FAGG
Has liked: 1387 times
Been liked: 1769 times

Unread post by jimdavis » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:03 pm

Estie Serfontein wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:44 pm

Hi Jim
Thank you for your participation! Much appreciated.
During the statistical analysis, the degree of agreeability as well as the emergent relationships between pre-defined independent and dependent variables will be tested. These relationships are also considered in pattern-analysis between different sections of the questionnaire and multiple concepts within these sections. The outcome of such analysis then also determine priority scales for the variables.
Thank you so much for trying, Estie. I am afraid my humble brain collapsed before I was half way through your explanation. If I was an examiner I would would give you 100% for sheer hard work - even if I didn't understand. :D

Jim
These users liked the author jimdavis for the post (total 2):
TCZiggi
"PPL Manual"
"Flight Tests"
"So Others May Live"
"Flying in Africa" Vol 1
"Flying in Africa" Vol 2
Look inside these books, or buy them at: www.jimdavis.co.za.
GL
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAHT
Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 477 times

Unread post by GL » Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:00 am

Estie Serfontein (now called Dokotela at ExecuJet!) promised to share the results of her very detailed study.
It's taken a while - but here is a readily accessible journal article - (I wouldn't wait for the movie.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
What if humanity is the disease and Covid-19 the cure?

Return to “General Aviation Chatter”