Moderator: Moderators

AV8TR
Aircraft in Hangar
Closest Airfield: Petit
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 1 time

Re: OVERDUE ATF and/or PPL Renewal - POOR SERVICE FROM SACAA MUST CHANGE

Unread post by AV8TR » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:20 pm

So what is the time now for a Comm or ATPL renewal? Seems some are waiting weeks while others only a few days.

I will be in SA for 10 days next month. Need to do my medical and license renwal. Would very much like to have my license with me before I depart SA again.
cage
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 946 times

Unread post by cage » Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:01 pm

AV8TR wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:20 pm
So what is the time now for a Comm or ATPL renewal? Seems some are waiting weeks while others only a few days.

I will be in SA for 10 days next month. Need to do my medical and license renwal. Would very much like to have my license with me before I depart SA again.
They commit 7-10 working days from receipt of email.
Mine took 12.
darkcloud
Wanna Fly
Closest Airfield: FALA
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by darkcloud » Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:13 pm

My ATPL took 5 weeks.
PJL
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Closest Airfield: Pyramid Air Park
Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 74 times

Unread post by PJL » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:48 pm

cage wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:01 pm
AV8TR wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:20 pm

They commit 7-10 working days from receipt of email.
Mine took 12.
I got mine today - 12 days!!

PJL
To invent an airplane is nothing. To build one is something. To fly it is everything. — Otto Lilienthal

"When once you have tasted flight,
you will forever walk the earth
with your eyes turned skywards."
― Leonardo da Vinci

RV10 Driver
Nick Poolman
Flight Planning
Closest Airfield: Stellenbosch
Been liked: 0

Unread post by Nick Poolman » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:53 pm

Very jealous reading all your posts involving “days”.

Currently on my 7th week of waiting since submission for my GrIII IR revalidation. CAA Assist taking care of it but no hope from CAA’s side.
nevillecarew
Mags On
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0

Unread post by nevillecarew » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:15 am

Why can't they simply change the rules re carrying a valid printed License?

If your log book is up to date, an instructor has signed your Endorsement page after passing the competency test, you have a valid Medical Certificate and you have paid your annual CAA Fees and submitting all required documentation to the CAA, why can't we fly?

Please correct me if I am wrong, but if you do a conversion to type and the instructor signs the Endorsement page in your log book, from that moment you can fly as PIC on that type and you don't have to wait for CAA to update their files? The same reasoning should apply with your competency test.

Its only due to the administration process within the CAA that we don't receive our updated License back within 3 / 4 days. We still competent pilots.

What will the view be of the insurance industry if you have an incident while waiting for a piece of paper! :?:
Neville Ferreira
Frequent AvComer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 167 times

Unread post by Neville Ferreira » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:56 am

nevillecarew wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:15 am

If your log book is up to date, an instructor has signed your Endorsement page after passing the competency test, you have a valid Medical Certificate and you have paid your annual CAA Fees and submitting all required documentation to the CAA, why can't we fly?

Please correct me if I am wrong, but if you do a conversion to type and the instructor signs the Endorsement page in your log book, from that moment you can fly as PIC on that type and you don't have to wait for CAA to update their files? The same reasoning should apply with your competency test.

Its only due to the administration process within the CAA that we don't receive our updated License back within 3 / 4 days. We still competent pilots.

What will the view be of the insurance industry if you have an incident while waiting for a piece of paper! :?:

If my AME system is online with my medical in hand after walking out of his practice, why can the AP and flight school not do the same?
southside
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: around
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 399 times

Unread post by southside » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:13 pm

nevillecarew wrote:

I think the reason that you cannot fly until you have been issued with the license is that, when you hand in your paperwork, it is an application for a license, it does not mean you have the license yet. It is the CAA’s job to now scrutinize this paperwork to make sure that it is all there and that you meet the requirements in terms of the CAR’s.

Allowing people to fly after paperwork is submitted will lead to plenty of potential issues. As happens on occasion, people will submit the paperwork having not submitted all the required documents. Or, the applicant may have failed to meet a requirement or requirements in terms of the CAR’s. The CAA should then contact the applicant in order to get them to do what they need to in order to meet the requirements for them to issue the license. Had you just started flying after handing in your application and for example, they see that you still require an additional 1 hour of dual flying to meet the minimum requirements, you would have now been flying around without a license that you are not even legally entitled to hold.
southside
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: around
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 399 times

Unread post by southside » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:15 pm

nevillecarew wrote:

I think the reason that you cannot fly until you have been issued with the license is that, when you hand in your paperwork, it is an application for a license, it does not mean you have the license yet. It is the CAA’s job to now scrutinize this paperwork to make sure that it is all there and that you meet the requirements in terms of the CAR’s.

Allowing people to fly after paperwork is submitted will lead to plenty of potential issues. As happens on occasion, people will submit the paperwork having not submitted all the required documents. Or, the applicant may have failed to meet a requirement or requirements in terms of the CAR’s. The CAA should then contact the applicant in order to get them to do what they need to in order to meet the requirements for them to issue the license. Had you just started flying after handing in your application and for example, they see that you still require an additional 1 hour of dual flying to meet the minimum requirements, or perhaps they see in your 12 month summary that you have not flown the required PIC hours in the 6 months preceding the revalidation check in order to renew your license, you would have now been flying around without a license that you are not even legally entitled to hold.

As mentioned, the application form that you hand in is just that, it is an application, you do not have the license yet.
sapfa
Tripped over wheel chock
Closest Airfield: Kitty Hawk
Been liked: 5 times

Unread post by sapfa » Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:48 am

We are slowly making progress.

There are still 24 outstanding that I am working with SACAA - I am in communications with the CEO at this stage.

Please send me any application you have delays with ATPL, CPL, PPL and ATFs'

The following has been sorted:
Days to complete - Date Completed
21 03/11/2020
20 03/11/2020
19 02/11/2020
62 03/11/2020
67 03/11/2020
41 30/10/2020
67 03/11/2020
39 30/10/2020
31 23/10/2020
63 29/10/2020
113 28/10/2020
42 22/09/2020
26 22/09/2020
50 20/10/2020
Imhotep
Engine full power confirmed
Closest Airfield: Robertson
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 62 times

Unread post by Imhotep » Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:06 pm

Do you also help with a new PPL application?
Only
Heli and Fixed Wing Pilot now best mates
Closest Airfield: FALA
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 43 times

Unread post by Only » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:10 am

I hope some of you waiting for your documents from SACAA can use this to finalize the process.

http://www.caa.co.za/Documents/Temporar ... laints.pdf
Closure of ASO Related Queries and Complaints-2.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Raffles
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: DFFD
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 119 times

Unread post by Raffles » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:44 pm

What happened to the good old days when we went there and got it after about an hour (in the cafeteria downstairs)?
Ralph M Wigzell.
My Dave Clarks cost me R200 when 1 ZAR = 1 USD
Hindsight is what you see from the tailgunner position.
Cloudspeed
ATC Delay
Been liked: 16 times

Unread post by Cloudspeed » Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:49 am

Having had to deal with the CAA on a regular basis as a client during the latter half of this year, my experience has stood in enjoyable contrast to the topic heading. Even as recently as today, with low expectations of a quick feedback, their answer came back within minutes by e-mail. As we draw nearer to year-end, where most of us have little patience, let alone energy left, I wish to highlight the visible (and most appreciated) effort clearly being made by individuals at SACAA. I’ll mention first names only of those that I’ve interacted with this past year. I’m sure there are others that some of you may have worked with. Thank you to Ayanda, Neo, Rosina, Mimi, Paul, Elsie. You deserve a break =D> .

CS
Cloudspeed
ATC Delay
Been liked: 16 times

Unread post by Cloudspeed » Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:53 am

.....and to be fair, I'm adding Michael and Leah to the list :D :D

Return to “General Aviation Chatter”