Shaunus
Rolling from unmanned
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 39 times

Re: Sling 4 High Wing to Oshkosh 2021

Unread post by Shaunus » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:13 am

jimdavis wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:28 pm
I guess I am way out of step here. I think here's no way that the average Joe is going to use that as a serious bush plane. A 185 is, and so is a Super Cub or any of half-dozen big-wheel Cub look-alikes.

How many of us have really needed a high wing because it the runway so narrow and the bush next to it is so high?

The only real marketable value of a high wing, in this class, is ease of entry, and possibly aerial photography. Although removing the boot door on a Cherokee has always proved popular with the photographers I have flown. The wing gets out of the way while you circle the target - instead of getting in the way. Same with game spotting or counting.

Visibility on a high wing - yes, PASSENGER visibility is great for flying over grannie's house, but PILOT visibility is not great. The busiest place you ever fly in is the circuit - and every time you turn you lose sight of the runway and all traffic in the direction of the turn. They make low-wing fighters, and serious aerobatic aeroplanes, and even gliders, for reasons of pilot viz and great aerodynamics.

And if you are thinking of training, then ground-effect on low-wings certainly helps to take the worst out of student landings. Having the weight at the bottom and a wide undercarriage - attached to the spar - makes a low-wing far more stable on the ground - which is where landing accidents happen. Also flight schools don't need to tie low-wings down in between flights.

I do have to admit that you can sit in the shade of a high wing and eat your saamies - but that's not enough reason for me to buy one in preference to a proper aeroplane.

Runs for cover. :oops: :lol:

Sorry, James and Mike - you excellent builders of Slings - I'm a huge fan, and I hope I am wrong about the market!

jim
Jim you need to watch a bit more of Trent Palmer to see why there is a new rage for more off road capable planes! Sure its nice to have a BMW coupe for those tar roads, but some people would rather have an SUV as it opens more adventure and destinations. Sure, a hardcore 4x4 will get you really deep, but an SUV ticks many boxes!

The only low wing that I regularly flew was a Samba, and although I enjoyed it, it just didn't meet my mission. I like adventuring to obscure airfields and farms, so I like to see where I am taxiing in finer detail, and where the rabbit holes are. In the air I enjoy looking down at the scenery, so its nice not having a wing covering a large part of it. I am fair skinned, so shade is great ... and the added shade when camping or packing the plane is a win. I want to be able to easily install my kids seat, throw in a tent, or the bike, without trying to awkwardly lug it up a wing. If the donkey dies, I like the fact my fuel is further away from obstacles, etc etc. But if I was in to aerobatics, well a low wing would be the go to.

Luckily for all of us there is choice, do you fancy yourself as a coupe tar burner man, a SUV crossover person, or a hardcore purist 4x4er I suppose :lol:
These users liked the author Shaunus for the post:
richard C
Privileged to have flown Cubby (ZU-CYB), Jabbie (ZU-JHF), Thunderbird (ZS-WPN, ZS-VWH), Samba XL (ZU-LAR), and C172 (ZS-JIM)
Vogoff
Stall training
Closest Airfield: FASY
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 80 times

Re: Sling 4 High Wing to Oshkosh 2021

Unread post by Vogoff » Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:26 pm

jimdavis wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:28 pm
I do have to admit that you can sit in the shade of a high wing and eat your saamies - but that's not enough reason for me to buy one in preference to a proper aeroplane.
I thought so too, but there are only so many times I can listen to club members talk about camping under the wing while looking at the knee high planks on my Mooney... :D

(Okay, so I love my Mooney and the wing is more hip height than knee height. But I certainly am not camping under that wing, best I can do is somewhere beside it.)
Matthew French
ZS-DWU Mooney M20C

Return to “General Aviation Chatter”