Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand
Closest Airfield: Lanseria
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 436 times

Re: JU 52 test Flight

Unread post by photon » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:14 pm

some pics of the "test flight" at Parys this afternoon

Last edited by photon on Sun May 03, 2009 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thys Bas
Frequent AvComer
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 9 times

Unread post by Thys Bas » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:57 pm

How lucky can you get! We were sitting at the 29 holding point waiting for our take off clearance when she (Tante Ju) landed at Wonderboom this afternoon (Saturday 25/04). When we returned from GF1 at sun down she was parked near the fuel bay as if to spend the night at the "Groot Boom". She is a beaut, and more so if viewed from a J3! It just seems right.
GooneyBird
Stall training
Closest Airfield: NZAR - Ardmore
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Unread post by GooneyBird » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:22 am

Christopher wrote:Anyone know what the two handles are, between the "footplates"? I wonder if they are trimmers? And apparently the pilot straps his feet into those pads?
If I remember right;

Those are called "rudder bias levers" they are fitted to the Capt's side of the airplane in case of engine failure, they are clicked into place if required to hold the rudder at a pre-determined setting, preventing a sore leg from dead-leg-dead-engine. :D

The co-pilots side originally had no rudder pedals, these were added later as a modification by SAA.
There is no more alluring airspace in the world than the slit up a China girl's dress.
— Ernest K. Gann, 'Band of Brothers.'
thelsa
1k poster
1k poster
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 66 times

Unread post by thelsa » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:12 pm

Got such a fright. Was working on my PC when I heard . . . . THAT SOUND. Ran outside to her in all her glory pass overhead Moreletapark towards ORT at 15H07. She sounded GOOD and looked spectacular. :D :D
Christopher
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Has liked: 201 times
Been liked: 69 times

Unread post by Christopher » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:53 pm

GooneyBird: thank you. Amazing! Maybe there isn't a regular trim system, as we know it? Just that weird set-up, in case of an engine failure...? (I wonder if those handles operate the assistance by means of springs? I bet...)

Don't you just love all the plumbing taps? :D
Christopher Godfrey (always missing aviation!)
Romeo E.T.
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAJS
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 279 times

Unread post by Romeo E.T. » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:58 pm

just passed over Kempton Park about 20 mins ago whilst I was at the shops, heading towards Rand airport direction.
sometimes we suffer a bit from C.R.A.F.T. sickness..Can't Remember A F@#%ing Thing

https://www.facebook.com/ralf.t.schulz
Stephan Rossouw
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAOR
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by Stephan Rossouw » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:08 pm

Romeo E.T. wrote:just passed over Kempton Park about 20 mins ago whilst I was at the shops, heading towards Rand airport direction.

She was being brought back from Wonderboom to ORTIA. As per previous discussions she had to sleep at Wonderboom last night.

I spoke to Capt Lorrie Raath just now, he said they had to divert to FAWB because they had transponder problems and ATC wouldn't let them near the TMA. The thought of going to FAGM, but due to the fact that they still have slight brake problems, they canned that thought due to the sloping nature of 29/11 on both ends.

Hence the desicion to go to FAWB.
All photos Copyright Stephan Rossouw Photography 2017

Home Page:
Stephan Rossouw Photography
http://www.stephanrossouw.co.za
Bombardier

Unread post by Bombardier » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:13 pm

I saw thge old lady fly over the Lynnwood area this afternoon at about 1500. My jaw droppped when I saw her, I didnt even know she was flying again (havent been on Avcom often enough :) ) It has been years since I last saw her flying so it was great to see her in the air again...what a sound!
GooneyBird
Stall training
Closest Airfield: NZAR - Ardmore

Unread post by GooneyBird » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:08 pm

Christopher wrote:GooneyBird: thank you. Amazing! Maybe there isn't a regular trim system, as we know it? Just that weird set-up, in case of an engine failure...? (I wonder if those handles operate the assistance by means of springs? I bet...)

Don't you just love all the plumbing taps? :D
Yes there is a regular trim system, the elevator trim being the only cable on the aeroplane, all the rest are push-pull rods. If you open the panel under the cockpit there is a maze of them. The bias levers just clip into a position that holds the rudder pedals biased right or left as the need may be with an engine out, they are not related to trim. Among other things the aircraft incorporates a flap blow-back system (Douglas engineers where quite taken by this and incorporated a hydraulic version into the DC-2 and DC-3) which works with big springs. The ailerons droop with the flaps (like "flaperons") and the horizontal stabilizer is trimmable. In fact is that the aircraft was exceptionally advanced for its day (the original design in 1930) in many aspects, proven I guess, by the fact that it was still in production in 1954. Douglas learnt a lot from this aircraft, not all of which was incorporated into the DC-2, but the majority of the JU's faults were adressed by the DC-3 and later C-47 series. Things like toe brakes, tail wheel lock, tail strake (which the DC-2 also did not have, making her a "stiff legged brute" (Quote E.K.Gann)) , carburettor heat, windscreen wipers etc.. These were not all Douglas' own ideas, but lessons from great aircraft like the JU-52. It must be said though that the sheer ingenuity of design was incredible on JU-52 - for example how the corrugations on the wings eliminate wing-tip vortices, the undercarriage is ball-end mounted and designed to shear off in a poor landing, so preserving the lives of all those on board. The wings are removed by undoing giant knurled nuts with "C" spanners (ease of repair). It may look primitive, but its a lot more clever than all that!

BTW -The taps you see are the oil cooler taps, opening them allows a flow of oil to the three oil coolers for each engine. For interest if you compare photographs of the genuine JU-52/3m and the CASA 352L you will easily notice the different oil cooler layout.
There is no more alluring airspace in the world than the slit up a China girl's dress.
— Ernest K. Gann, 'Band of Brothers.'
Rudix
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Rhino Park
Has liked: 2 times

Unread post by Rudix » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:47 pm

GooneyBird wrote: BTW -The taps you see are the oil cooler taps, opening them allows a flow of oil to the three oil coolers for each engine. For interest if you compare photographs of the genuine JU-52/3m and the CASA 352L you will easily notice the different oil cooler layout.
Great post! Thanks for the info.

I was fascinated by those oil coolers.

Leo Theron
1k poster
1k poster
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 20 times

Unread post by Leo Theron » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:41 am

And some more pictures of the Grand Ol'e Lady...

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=20130&p=555942#p555942
Best, Leo Theron
--------------------------------------------------------
... see my photographs at www.pbase.com/leot
Jaws
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: Lanseria
Been liked: 23 times

Unread post by Jaws » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:51 am

Greetings all

I am looking for photographs of our Ju 52 for our website and our archives. Any contribution will be gratefully received and acknowledged if used on the website.

Kind regards
Jaws

John Austin-Williams

Public Relations and Media Liaison Officer
South African Airways Museum Society

Cell: +27 (0) 83 459-7802
jaw@global.co.za
info@saamuseum.co.za
www.saamuseum.co.za
John Austin-Williams
saamuseum.co.za
RV

Unread post by RV » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:53 am

Lovely Leo

This is the spirit of aviation history, which is why I got my moermeter broken earlier. I wish I had either seen or heard the old lady, she is beautiful, simple. :D :D :D :D :D :D
Big Bucks Bernie
Straight and Level
Closest Airfield: Koblenz-Winningen EDRK
Location: Somewhere in the nowhere between Frankfurt and Cologne
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by Big Bucks Bernie » Sat May 30, 2009 2:10 am

As a matter of ineterest, are undercarriage fairings still going to be added to ZS-AFA at some later stage, or is the current configuration the final one?

Compare D-CDLH/D-AQUI (as just one of various examples):
Photo: Starliner1649
Photo Source: Flickr

With ZS-AFA in her current configuration:
Photo: John Austin-Williams
Photo Source: The South African Airways Museum Society
grahame
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by grahame » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:11 pm

Some stunning footage of a JU flight - but this one goes back in time to Leni Riefenstahl's famous documentary, Triumph of the Will, made for the Nazi Party in 1934.

The film can be viewed here: http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/triumph- ... l-edition/

The first 5 minutes are aerial - a flight to Nuremburg, and conclude with Adolf Hitler stepping out of the JU.
Tally ho, Biggles!

Return to “General Aviation Chatter”