Supplier of small pieces/off-cut aluminium in Pretoria?

Aviation chatter - For ALL Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts

Moderator: Moderators

heinrich
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: EGSX

Re: Supplier of small pieces/off-cut aluminium in Pretoria?

Unread post by heinrich » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:36 am

Dankie Justin, will give them a call.
“If you are looking for perfect safety, you will do well to sit on a fence and watch the birds; but if you really wish to learn, you must mount a machine and become acquainted with its tricks by actual trial.”

Wilbur Wright
noelotten
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: Grand Central

Unread post by noelotten » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:52 pm

heinrich wrote: I am curious to know if you guys know where to get ali extrusions? Spoke to alclad and they only sell ali sheets. They reckon if you want 2024-T4 Ali bar or 6061-T6 angle you need to "bring it in" yourself? :cry:

Does anyone sell it in SA?
It depends on what you are looking for!

Aluminium City, (outlets for HULETT'S), stock a wide range of standard sections and they will source special if you need them.

Alu-Stock and Conways are outlets for WISPECO, and will do the same.

Go to the Hulett's and Wispeco websites and download their standard catalogues! If you want close tolerance extrusions, Hullet's will be your best bet!

Noel
The words "cheap", "aviation" and "safe" cannot, in my opinion, be used in the same sentence; not unless you add the word "not"! ... John Howse 1947 - 2010
heinrich
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: EGSX

Unread post by heinrich » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:42 am

Thanks Noel, noted. I am interested in various extrusions like 3/4x3/4 x 125 6061-T6 angle, 3/4 x3/4 x 062 6061-T6 angle etc. and also flat 2024 T4 bar of various sizes.

Cheers
H
“If you are looking for perfect safety, you will do well to sit on a fence and watch the birds; but if you really wish to learn, you must mount a machine and become acquainted with its tricks by actual trial.”

Wilbur Wright
wingnutzster
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: Sommerveld

Unread post by wingnutzster » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:13 am

I highly recommend that this thread be moved to the Aircraft Builder's section, the kinds of traffic through there is they type you want to answer these questions. :)
"They that wait on the Lord shall mount up on wings as an Eagle"...Isa40
Shay
Wanna Fly
Closest Airfield: Brakpan Benoni FABB

Unread post by Shay » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:10 pm

Having worked in the metal industry for a good few years I can recommend two places that sell aluminium offcuts. Neither are in Pretoria but are worth the travel if you cant find any there. These recommendations are for offcuts, not aluminium in general.

Metals Centre in Selby sell from "scratch patch" boxes of offcuts (aluminium on their website redirects to this domain so they must own it) - http://www.laser-cutting-online.com/alu ... sions.html

Aluminium Trading in Edenvale also stock offcuts and a wider range including 6xxx series extrusions you listed - https://www.aluminiumtrading.co.za/alum ... xtrusions/

Give them both a call, I do recommend Aluminium Trading however, as you will get better service.

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Shay

Return to “General Aviation Chatter”