Children and Flying, sharing the passion!

Aviation chatter - For ALL Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts

Moderator: Moderators

RudiGreyling
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: The Coves
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 8 times

Children and Flying, sharing the passion!

Unread post by RudiGreyling » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:41 pm

Well it was about time!

Considering I started my RV7 project with Mommy 7 months pregnant with Anri. Taking me 3 years to complete airplane, and waiting another 1 year for Anri to big enough. When she turned 4 this last month I decided to make a booster seat and give her, her first flip.

After 4 years it was about time, don't you think!

We started slowly, first starting up the engine, making sure the noise do not annoy her. Then we taxied up and down until she was comfortable with the noises actions and view. Then we lined up and up, up, up and away we went. She loved it.

Then we did some slow turns above the airport, ready to go land at a moments notice. She just loved it, looking down at mommy.
Then we progressed into steep turns so she can see the ground better with the low wing banked out of the way.
She noted the small houses and cars were from her new perspective.

We did some low and slow runway passess for her to get the feeling of landing, and then progressed onto touch and goes, and Anri screaming "Weeeee!" as we lift off the ground speeding into the sky. She was a natural!

We flew out to a quiet spot and I decided to try a slow 1G Aileron roll in the RV with her, and she enjoyed it screaming "Again daddy Again!"
How could one ignore such a request and I complied, with here going "Weeeeee!" as the horison spun around slowly.

Getting brave in her confidence I decided to show her a loop. I think it is the fist time she experienced G's and those in the know, know you have to pull a couple of G's to execute a nice gentle loop. She did not like the loop, commenting to her mother afterward she did not like "Loopy da loops". I think is more a fact of the induced G's then my flying skills making her not enjoy the loops. :twisted:

Now every weekend when I want to go for my jolly she asks, "Daddy kan ek ook saam kom vlieg!" maar ek mag nie "loopy da loops" maak nie.

Children they are wonderfull, don't wait too long to make them part of your passion!
Entroduce them slowly to flight, they might just surprise you and enjoy it! I know my little one did!
And my penalty for waiting so long, a RV10 four seater project in the garage so both mommy and little one can go with on trips.

Groete
Rudi
anri_01.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by RudiGreyling on Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Amateur Kit Builder
WW1 Fokker E-III: viewtopic.php?f=324&t=190292
RV-7: viewtopic.php?f=64&t=3239
RV-10: viewtopic.php?f=64&t=48930
cvh.
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Children and Flying, sharing the passion!

Unread post by cvh. » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:43 pm

Great stuff!

:D
Can1
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: Pietermaritzburg
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by Can1 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:57 pm

Wonderful and thank you for sharing that :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
Craig Ralphs
http://www.vuplexsa.co.za

Why be yourself when you can be someone really worthwhile - Richard Bandler

I'm not a complete idiot.........Some parts are still missing :wink:
Monique

Unread post by Monique » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:18 pm

That's beautiful Rudi!

=D>
Christie
Reaching altitude

Unread post by Christie » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:31 pm

=D> =D> =D> =D> Excellent story, we live for our children!!!! Aa amazing feeling if they enjoy our passions!! Can't wait to take mine up as well, boy of 6yrs and one of 2yrs. Amazingly it is the 2yr old who lives for "pietuig" as he calls them and " he ko te" for chopper or helikopter!
Keep her up there Rudi :!: :!:
ADB
Steep Turn Left
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by ADB » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:22 pm

I've been wondering when to take my daughter up for the first time - she is not yet 2, but is obsessed with aircraft (and cars). I have photos from last year's Cape Town airshow which she demands to see, and she recognises and identifies the Lightning, Gripen, and Chalkie's RV6!

Andrew
cvh.

Unread post by cvh. » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:18 pm

You people are evil!

Brainwashing your children like that!

Mine is 35 and still has not recovered!
Mike W.

Unread post by Mike W. » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:49 pm

My father who flew Lancasters in the RAF brainwashed me, so I did it to my daughters. Make it a family tradition and corrupt them all. :twisted:
RudiErasmus
Reaching GFA
Closest Airfield: FABB

Unread post by RudiErasmus » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:53 pm

Dit was hoogtyd! Hoop jy leer haar sommer om ook 'n RV aanmekaar te sit soos net haar pa dit kan doen!!!

Groete,

Rudi
Rudi Erasmus
RudiGreyling
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by RudiGreyling » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:24 am

Sky Scribe wrote:Dit was hoogtyd! Hoop jy leer haar sommer om ook 'n RV aanmekaar te sit soos net haar pa dit kan doen!!!
Mr Sky Scribe,
I think she gets a bit of build experience :mrgreen:

I went back into my build logs and pulled these out

1) My wife went to the shops and I had to look after the little one (Anri), but I also needed to pull some cleckos on the wings. When my wife came back from the shop she captured this picture with her cell phone. So Anri got front row seat seeing me build the RV7. Shoe she was tiny back then...

2) Now-a-days Anri just loves pulling the blue protective plastic of the parts. I do not dare doing it without involving her, she constantly comes into the garage checking and asking if it is time already to pull the plastic off. If I pull it of without her assistance I am in for trouble, cause she notices it.

On a big project like building an airplane, you need to find ways to get your family to contribute, then they feel part of it and have a vested interest in it.

Groete
Rudi
Amateur Kit Builder
RudiGreyling
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by RudiGreyling » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:31 am

Christie wrote:=D> =D> =D> =D> Excellent story, we live for our children!!!! Aa amazing feeling if they enjoy our passions!! Can't wait to take mine up as well, boy of 6yrs and one of 2yrs. Amazingly it is the 2yr old who lives for "pietuig" as he calls them and " he ko te" for chopper or helikopter!
Keep her up there Rudi :!: :!:
Christie,

Don't wait to long! Your 6 year old are at a perfect age, just do it slowly, and make it a flight to no-where, i.e. just around the patch just so they can get the feeling.

Hmm I can just hear your little one go "he ko te, he ho te" pointing to the sky!
Anri use to confuse Gyro's and Helicopters (we have a lot of Gyros at Springs) to her the look the same...

I haven't taken Anri on a x-country yet, but I guess she will just fall asleep, x-country is actually borring for them, I guess.

Groete
Rudi
Amateur Kit Builder
rsb

Unread post by rsb » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:43 am

Nice One!!!

First time I took my daughter flying, she was 4 months old and my wife breastfed her during climb and descent to stop her ears popping... The rest of the time, she slept (daughter and wife...)
RudiGreyling
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by RudiGreyling » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:09 pm

rsb wrote:Nice One!!!

First time I took my daughter flying, she was 4 months old and my wife breastfed her during climb and descent to stop her ears popping... The rest of the time, she slept (daughter and wife...)
RSB, 4 months old, shoe you start early! =D>
Amateur Kit Builder
rsb

Unread post by rsb » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:25 pm

RudiGreyling wrote:
rsb wrote:Nice One!!!

RSB, 4 months old, shoe you start early! =D>
Didn't do any "loop-da-loops" or aileron rolls - don't think my wife or the Cherokee 6 would have liked that...!
Jacques

Unread post by Jacques » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:50 pm

This is great stuff Rudi!

I have started involving my son in my heli flying from the start (well almost) he is almost 5 years old and did almost cause an incident a while ago....

I took him flying in the R22 a few weekends ago and we went up the west coast.
Between Koeberg and Yzerfontein i chose a nice quite spot to land and i set the Robbie down not to far away from the beach.

We got out and played in the pools catching little fish etc.etc.

He thoroughly enjoyed this and a while later, it was time to go back.

We got in and i started up and did my checks.
Now at this point I must say - he has flown with me quite a few times before and have been perfect in the cockpit. Did not touch anything.

Well after my checks i told him it's time to go and proceded to start pulling up on the collective.
Luckily for me, before we got airborn, he saw the collective on his side come up, and promptly grabbed it and pushed it down!!

I countered but had i not been awake, it could have ended differently.

Now when he flies with me, i remove all controls on his side - even the collective - but I'm still quite weary he one day decides the master switch (which is on his side in the Robbie) should be off in flight!

Still an awesome experience sharing my passion with him and seeing how he enjoys it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “General Aviation Chatter”