surely there are KR owners out there

Kend Rand designed his KR-1 in 1972, he also pioneered a state-of-the-art foam-and-fiberglass composite construction method which has now become standard in homebuilt, commercial, and military aircraft.

Moderator: Moderators

jacbot
Climbing Out
Closest Airfield: FAKT
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 9 times

Re: surely there are KR owners out there

Unread post by jacbot » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:22 pm

Know of 2 KR's that was built in Pietersburg many years ago, unfortunately no registration numbers. One was built and flown by Arthur Smith, flew with him once, and the other one was built by Martin Erasmus, don't know if he ever finished it. Another one I saw was sitting in a hangar at Witbank, around 2002/2003 I think. Anyone know what happened to these?
krjockey
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: Matsapha
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 6 times

Unread post by krjockey » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:49 pm

The one built by Arthur is reg zs-vyx. It was changed to a nosewheel and for sale not too long ago. Dont know of the other two.
giarc64
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times

Unread post by giarc64 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:11 pm

krjockey wrote:The one built by Arthur is reg zs-vyx. It was changed to a nosewheel and for sale not too long ago. Dont know of the other two.
this kr2 is owned by johan from baragwannath. still for sale
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ZU-CYB (Cubby No 1)
ZS-WPX (KR2)
Bravo
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Unread post by Bravo » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:55 am

I have tried so many times to get information about a KR 2 that i have built but no reply from anybody.In a previous thread they mentioned a KR2 in centurion which was owned by a guy in Bloemfontein (Gerhard Versteeg).Well apparently it was my KR that i built and the registration was ZU-BTE.Can anyone give me more information regarding this please.
JvTonder
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: RhinoPark
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 13 times

Unread post by JvTonder » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:22 am

giarc64 wrote:
krjockey wrote:The one built by Arthur is reg zs-vyx. It was changed to a nosewheel and for sale not too long ago. Dont know of the other two.
Do you know what he wants for it and what needs to be done?
Flying feeds the soul!
giarc64
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by giarc64 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:57 pm

JvTonder wrote:
giarc64 wrote:
Do you know what he wants for it and what needs to be done?
structurally she is fine , just need to double check everything. i would redo the instrument panel and also the canopy, dont like the painted over white. engine install looks good and need s a proper run up and check. I think he wants R55K, I can find out for you.
ZU-CYB (Cubby No 1)
ZS-WPX (KR2)
GerhardRossouw
Power off stall
Closest Airfield: Fisantekraal

Unread post by GerhardRossouw » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:55 pm

I think he wants R55K, I can find out for you.[/quote]
Wow, R55K is a bargain!!!!! If still at that price......
KR2
ZS-UIR
JvTonder
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by JvTonder » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:19 pm

Just asked for interest sake but if that the price and no major work needs to be done I just might make a plan! :D

What is the dry weight and MTOW off the KR2, I am a big "boertjie" so that might be a problem. Size off pilot it can take?
Last edited by JvTonder on Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flying feeds the soul!
FlyKR
HASSELL checks
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by FlyKR » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:57 pm

Actually he'll take R45k for it
Standard KR empty 300kg
all up 450kg
Only real pilots can fly KR's
JvTonder
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by JvTonder » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:27 pm

FlyKR wrote:Actually he'll take R45k for it
Standard KR empty 300kg
all up 450kg
:( unfortunately then it is not for me :(
Flying feeds the soul!
sting
Reaching altitude

Unread post by sting » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:05 am

Standard KR empty 300kg
all up 450kg
how on earth do you then get a conversion.

i clock in at 93 KG...
giarc64
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by giarc64 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:24 pm

sting wrote:
Standard KR empty 300kg
all up 450kg
how on earth do you then get a conversion.

i clock in at 93 KG...
the kr2 can handle 2 guys at max 80 kg each and pref not taller than 5 ft 10. will need long runway. conversion is generally done by flying somewhere and landing, then you get signed out. :D
ZU-CYB (Cubby No 1)
ZS-WPX (KR2)
Jakez
Reaching altitude

Unread post by Jakez » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:16 pm

Piet Smit at Aviators Paradise is a grade 2 instructor and has over 400hrs on KR2
Knowledge is Power.......!!!
robmatthews
Priming
Closest Airfield: Isithebe

Unread post by robmatthews » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:57 pm

I went for a flight with Arthur Smith one fine morning many years ago. I remember him opening the hanger doors and he walked across to this tiny little plane which had a sheet covering over it. I looked and thought well that looks like a big radio controlled plane. Then Arthur pulls off the sheet covering and there to my amazement is this lovely looking little plane. It turns out that this is the plane we were going to fly in. I thought that there is no ways that the two of us could possibly get into this plane. He wheeled it out and did the checks and he showed how to get in and put on the safety belts etc. I was in and he got in and said just huddle up to the opposite side so to give him all the room near the stick and peddals. We taxied out to the holding point and did the run ups and checks and then we lined up for takeoff (departure).
Off we go and we ran and ran and ran down the runway, (thinking to myself what am I doing in a home built plane and hardly know this pilot and are we going to get off into the air). Eventually we were off the runway and stayed in ground effect to get up the speed, wow !!! then he pulled up and we climbed like a rocket.( thank goodness Pietersburg runway is sooooo loooog). It wasn't so long and we were at 7000 feet and cruising at between 155 to 160 mph. It was then that I realized that this is the life, as I already had a trike license but this was something different. Arthur was on the radio to some other guys flying along in a Grumman and he said keep an eye out for them. Next minute we up along side of them and Arther tried to slow the KR down to stay with them. They were way too slow at 100mph. We actually couldn't stay with them as this KR 2 just wanted to go. Off we left them and I said to Arthur where were going too. " a friend has a runway on a farm out here by Messina." Wow Messina already, and then the power came back and we started the decent down. Arthur said " we can't land because it was a grass field but we would do a beat up down the runway and keep an eye out that we don't go over the 200 mph as this is the VNE of the plane." We'll!!!! I remember seeing the airspeed indicator over 200 mph as we were doing the beat up. We were back at 7000 ft again on our way back to Pietersburg Airfield. Arthur casually says I thought I told you to warn me about the airspeed. I noticed we were over the 200 mph when we pulled up. My response was that it was so fast that there wasn't anytime for me being able to say anything. We made it back and down on the ground without any problems. Well I changed my respect for VW engines after that and especially also for a plane that was built in a flat (apartment).
I was so hooked and built a KR 2 and unfortunately could not fly it. I respect any builder who has built a KR2 as it is lots of work, but enjoyable. One day I will get one and fly it. They are the most awesome little planes.
GerhardRossouw
Power off stall
Closest Airfield: Fisantekraal

Unread post by GerhardRossouw » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:57 am

Hi to all the kr owners in Gauteng. I will be back in SA on the 21st December. Would any of you kr pilots be able to take me for a flip in a kr? When i am back in Cape Town on the 28th, i am going to take the wings off UIR for storage as i am out of the country again early in Jan.
KR2
ZS-UIR

Return to “KR”